why should I learn Live?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having used both, IMHO:

Logic +
- Arrangement gui
- Built in instruments/effects/samples
- Price (value)
- Better integration of audio units (Live has some weird glitches)

Live +
- Clip automation
- Session view
- Drum and Instrument racks (especially drum racks - great for building kits quickly)
- Chains (part of racks I guess) - especially great for multi-out instruments, mid-side processing, parallel compression, etc.
- Midi mapping / controller integration
- Sample / library management

If Ableton ever updates their arrangement view, I'd be perfectly happy with it. Of course, this is just a reflection of how I work. Someone who does more audio recording, etc., might be a lot happier with Logic. Fact is, whenever I'm using one, I kinda wish I was using the other!

I gotta say also, after what happened with FInal Cut Pro I'm concerned about Apples commitment to the serious artist. Live is it for Ableton - I don't see them letting it slip, even though it's been eons since an update. With Logic, it's hard to say what direction they are going in. I think we're going to see DAWs more reliant on their feature set than with built-in instruments and libraries also, and for a time that's where Logic's biggest value has been.

thanks guys. It was mentioned that having an unfamiliar environment can lead to inspiration, and I can definitely see the logic in that. i experienced that when I started using Logic (after being used to hardware).

I will check out the videos that are linked, and the session view. the idea of dragging something out of Logic and then moving it into something else to work on more sounds like tweaky good fun. i have been doing this with random stand alone apps I have acquired over the years, so nothing too strenuous about that.

the drum rack is something I have been interested in, although at this stage in learning LIve, I can't see why it is any easier or quicker than Logic (as you can drag and drop samples into Ultrabeat). I'll keep playing with it. Gotta say though, the interface is a little off putting after using Logic for so long (maybe I'm just old and settled in my ways). :D
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

michael2 wrote:the drum rack is something I have been interested in, although at this stage in learning LIve, I can't see why it is any easier or quicker than Logic (as you can drag and drop samples into Ultrabeat).
You can also drop vst's and Live devices into Drum Racks, or even whole racks of samplers and effects.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
michael2 wrote:the drum rack is something I have been interested in, although at this stage in learning LIve, I can't see why it is any easier or quicker than Logic (as you can drag and drop samples into Ultrabeat).
You can also drop vst's and Live devices into Drum Racks, or even whole racks of samplers and effects.
i think maybe i'll focus on these racks first.

again, thanks for your input everyone. I work a lot, and have 2 kids; music time is limited at times and I most likely would have just left Live alone without your thoughts. that said: if my kids ever fall asleep, I'll be opening up Logic and blowing off a little steam by creating sounds.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”