New Order's "Technique" - what synths?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Weren't New Order partial to PPGs?
No. In the early days (Joy Division to New Order) it was mainly Arp synths like the Quadra for pads. They eventually replaced those due to reliability. They also kit-built a few things, and used various early drum machines. After all their gear got nicked in the very early 80's I think they got the Voyetra 8 then, but that was definitely when they bought the Emulator and other stuff that made it onto Blue Monday. They used some Prophet 5 too, and Pro One for bass. The bass synth from Blue Monday is a Memorymoog. The bass drum, of course, is an Oberheim DMX.

They also used the usual early samplers with analog filters, like the Emulator, and probably some AKAI stuff later on. I've no doubt the Yamaha TX-81Z also made some appearances on their mid-late 80's tracks, although the FM always seems backed up by analog and (mainly) samples of various things.

Around the time of Technique there would definitely be D-50 on there. I think it was a year or 2 before the JD800 was released though, so that wouldn't have made it on (they often used Roland gear, but rarely - if ever? - Korg gear) There would probably also be some older gear - which included things like the Matrix 12 and Juno 106, plus loads of samples and whatever other gear the producers they decided to work with had around.

Return to “Production Techniques”