New Order's "Technique" - what synths?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've been re-listening to New Order's "Technique" recently, and love the synth sounds on it. I was wondering if anyone knows what gear they used on it, and can recommend VSTis or if a fellow Reaktor user, ensembles to get similar sounds? Cheers for any suggestions!
Please remove your monkey from the dinner table, there's a good boy. It's trying to season the soup with it's own bodily fluids again ...

Well it was likely mostly digital synths from the time, like all those Yamaha pseudo-FM dealios, or whatever Roalnd were up to (909s, etc). If you can track down old issues of SOS magazine, they did a behind the scenes in April 1989 which prolly has a list of gear. Not on the SOS site I'm afraid.

Here's a timeline of when synths were made:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/local/timeline.shtml

Look at what was manufactured between 85-88, likely stuff made by Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Oberheim , Akai, E-Mu and Sequential had a hand in the making.

I seem to recall they were pretty heavy users of the Voyetra 8.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/voyetra8.shtml

oh and some of the sounds sound like factory Roland D-50 patches

Damn! Another group I've never heard! I must be getting old. :-o

Beardedone wrote:Damn! Another group I've never heard! I must be getting old. :-o
New Order?!?!?!?! :shock:

Joy division?!?!?! :shock:

Technique was a decent album, but substance was my shizz back in the day... technique sounded too candy coated for my taste...

S_A_P® wrote:substance was my shizz back in the day...
New Order or Joy Division? I owned both, still have the New Order version. Personally, I like the original versions of most of those tracks better though. Kinda wish I still had Joy Division - Substance.

I really love the glossiness of Technique, plus the songs were top notch. Both Substances are great, of course. As for Beardedone - is montreal now on another planet?! You've never heard New Order?!
Please remove your monkey from the dinner table, there's a good boy. It's trying to season the soup with it's own bodily fluids again ...

Beardedone wrote:
Damn! Another group I've never heard! I must be getting old.

New Order?!?!?!?!

Joy division?!?!?!
I have read the names of course but never heard the music of course.

Penance in Hell for you, Beardedone!!!!

Joy Division were one of the greatest groups ever, and the stuff that New Order came out with when they really tried was peerless

(Fine Time, Perfect Kiss, Temptation... swoon!)
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

Both JD and NOs substance were my shizz, sorry I didnt clarify..

Penance in Hell for you, Beardedone!!!!

Joy Division were one of the greatest groups ever, and the stuff that New Order came out with when they really tried was peerless

(Fine Time, Perfect Kiss, Temptation... swoon!)

--
Phil
When were New Order active? Fairly recently within the last 5 years or so? I am papably ignorant regarding any Rock/Pop newer than 20 years hence. Up until the last few years I was only listeing to Jazz/Classical with FZ the only exception. :oops:

New Order's first album came out in like 81 or so.

New Order's first album came out in like 81 or so.
OK then I definitely would have missed it. THe eighties all Jazz/Jazz fusion for me. Scofoeld, Stern, Abercrombie, WR, Metheny, Breckers, late Miles, ECM stuff. I had a pig-headed, jaded attitude against Rock at the time that was pretty stupid.
Last edited by Beardedone on Mon May 02, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Production Techniques”