ChunkWare Vanilla Compressor update (sorry, still alpha)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[meow] it works [/meow]

and its totally f'in FAT!!!!!

this might just be my new default comp

thankyou chunk! may you have a happy easter.
galaxy rayyys! powerful.

ChunkWare Vanilla Compressor build 69 is up. (12/19/04)

Updates:
- An oversight after various tweaks to b68 left siddechain mode inoperable. This is now fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience the previous build has caused.

NOTE: there is now a known incompatibility with Tracktion in which Tracktion will only display 2 inputs, thereby disabling sidechain mode. This is due to the "fixes" implemented to enable use in Logic 5 PC. In the big picture, this problem stems from host developers' different interpretation/implementation of the VST spec. Nevertheless, something will be done to fix this on our end, so expect an update sometime soon. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

== chunk

just thought I'd let you know that there's no extra input in energyXT either, and it should definitely support plugins with dynamic numbers of inputs/outputs.

glurgle wrote:just thought I'd let you know that there's no extra input in energyXT either, and it should definitely support plugins with dynamic numbers of inputs/outputs.
if energyXT is anything like Tracktion, it probably supports "dynamic linking" of I/O, meaning it will allow you to attach an output of one virtual device to an input of another on the fly.

HOWEVER... by "dynamic I/O", i mean that the host can change the number of I/O of the track/rack that instantiates the plugin; OR, that the host can tell the plugin how many channels it WANTS to see.

to enable all 4 inputs in a host like Tracktion (and probably energyXT), the plugin has to report an initial state of 4 inputs; and if the host has the ability to change that later, so much the better. however, for an old, primitive, backwards host like Logic 5, a plugin that reports an initial state of more than 2 inputs will not load and cannot be changed by Logic.

so you see, one can either appease the legacy Logic 5 PC users, or one can appease the Tracktion/energyXT users.

OR... modern host developers (like those for Tracktion and energyXT) can fully support the VST spec and, hence, dynamic I/O. OR... Steinberg could update the VST spec to accomodate a more flexible I/O architecture (such as VST aux busses or a standard protocol for sidechaining).

does it sound like i'm lobbying now? ;)

in the meantime, there could be a work-around by simply offering multiple versions of the plugin .dll. (i.e. "Vanilla MONO.dll", "Vanilla STEREO.dll", "Vanilla SIDECHAIN.dll".) hardly elegant, but effective. in the works...

sorry again for the incompatibility.

== chunk

not lobbying at all ;)

what I meant to say is that energyXT *does* support plugins that do exactly what you describe, because it does it itself. It will dynamically add and remove inputs and outputs in hosts that support it (including itself). tbph I think a better solution is providing a stereo version for logic 5 users.

citizenchunk wrote:simply offering multiple versions of the plugin .dll. (i.e. "Vanilla MONO.dll", "Vanilla STEREO.dll", "Vanilla SIDECHAIN.dll".)
Yes! Please!
I think I'm still using build 36 simply because I rarely have need of the sidechain, and simply don't want to look at all the extra parameters. Plus, there's no additional delay from the lookahead limiter. (I know...it's only 1 mS.)

Still gotta say, this is one of the best kept secrets of KvR. I think the lack of gui scares people off. The sound is really great though!

Great work, Chunk!

BK wrote:...
I think I'm still using build 36 simply because I rarely have need of the sidechain, and simply don't want to look at all the extra parameters....
Still gotta say, this is one of the best kept secrets of KvR. I think the lack of gui scares people off. The sound is really great though!

Great work, Chunk!
thanks for the kind words. you should really consider upgrading to the latest build (b69), as there have been quite a few sonic improvements since build 36. i know that the plethora of parameters is a drag without a proper GUI. but don't worry, GUI work is underway...

== chunk

I would also love a mono version which would make it possible to handle more plugins and cpu. I also malied you before and said that it would be great thing to do. I hope you have it in mind.

When working in for example 96kHz, a mono version will be a god send. I mixing my first 96/24 recording right now and all these stereo only plugins are killing my cpu.

Best Regards
Rickard Gerthsson
www.damnsundaydrivers.com

Return to “Effects”