Mastering for commercial loudness

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just don't clip, what ever you do :) , Rcomp from waves is what I like, yes it is expensive.

It's really sad how everyone sucks all the dynamics out of their songs nowadays.
Last edited by ATS on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

i wouldn't worry about loudness until you have all the tracks for your CD mixed down ... then pick the loudest one, compress/eq it so it reaches "commercial" loudness ,then try to master the rest of the tracks to a similar level ...

I think the most important thing is to have variety in all aspects of the material you are mastering. I give you guys a great hint I learned from a friend (everyone prob. knows this), try compressing the audio in reverse i.e. reverse the audio and select a slow attack and relatively short release, you will get great results...trust me :)
Progress comes from doing things differently

bduffy wrote:Ozone 3 is by Izotope, not Native Instruments, btw. :D
Oops my bad.
I should realy check these things before I write them. :oops:

I do my masters with Tracktion and i use mdaImage (to open the stereo view of the song), then Final Mix by Mackie (bundled with tracktion) i rarely use post eq after the multiband compressor.
What you want to do mastering is to recreate a frequency spectrum as "flat" as possibile (i mean without exagerate peaks or valleys) and then make the song sound more "controlled" in the bass region using multiband eq, slow attack time (i found that most of the pop/rock stuff need about 50/60ms in the lowest 2 bands of the compressor) then set the release times so that the sound is not squashed (use the ratio that sound the best).
After that: the brickwall limiter. I think the best one is L2 from waves but if you don't have the money (as i do) there is a good limiter on the 4Front website called W1, it works similar to the L1 so it's pretty easy to use.

This way you can reach commercila loudness, put please don't overdo it, Linkin' PArk sound at -8db rms overall but you hardly hear the snare in the loudest part, if you don't want to destroy your music aim at about -11db -12db rms

:)

Return to “Production Techniques”