vocals

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im doing a rnb style record and i need a real commercial style vocal, dead processed sound if you know what i mean (not rap) im used to doing a different syle of vocal lots of reverb etc.

any tips guys plugins, mixing tips etc

thanks in advance people

no body can help me :cry:

maybe provide some reference points in terms of existing tracks you want to sound a bit like so folks here know what to aim for ???

slainte :? rob

pay lots of money to a commercial vocalist

Kriminal wrote:pay lots of money to a commercial vocalist
or:

1. Really nice mic, for a start. TLM103 or a Rode.
2. Really nice expensive pre', although a Behringer Tube Ultragain does a passable job at about $100.
3. Vocal booth, or tons of duvets hung up round the singer to get rid of the room.
4. 2:1 compression *BEFORE* it gets anywhere near your audio track.
5. Keep 15" from the mic and use a shield.
6. Never shout your lyrics.
7. Keep your foldback dry as a bone.

8. Good luck.

:)
.. there is a tide in the affairs of men which, if taken at the flood,
will totally f**k your beach pavillion ...........

VERY good mic alternative: Studioprojects C1. Some people seem to prefer it over the wellknown german brand...
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

tombangelta wrote:no body can help me :cry:
I think you are just about right.

Apart from the ones I've posted myself I've only heard 2 RnB tracks here by 2 producers and only one of them were with vocals. Mine weren't either. So, this ain't exactly a hot spot for RnB fanatics.

The KVR member Rollosoc has a rather excellent page for recording and processing vocals. Have a look:
http://www.hairthieves.com/tip/rec/vocals.htm

Sascha Franck wrote:VERY good mic alternative: Studioprojects C1. Some people seem to prefer it over the wellknown german brand...
And Studiospares in London do the S1100 which is switchable omni and cardioid, has 26mm modules, has a sonic signature remarkably similar to a Rode NT1 and costs under €120.

There'll soon be Chinese fully-switchable Calrec Soundfield lookalikes with control pack and choice of twelve gaily-coloured shockmounts, given away in packets of breakfast cereal at this rate.

:)
.. there is a tide in the affairs of men which, if taken at the flood,
will totally f**k your beach pavillion ...........

Return to “Production Techniques”