Location Recording. Help required!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Ive been asked to record an opera recital which features a baritone singer, with a pianist in a church.

I intend to just record it onto mini disc as a location recording. However I want a quality recording, so any help on which microphones would give me the best quality so I can hire them would be great!

get a couple pzm's (shure) and mount them to two boards 4'x4' and place them in the back of the hall.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Do a search on the sound on sound website http://www.soundonsound.com/ for choir & see what you get!

rogermullard wrote:Hello,

Ive been asked to record an opera recital which features a baritone singer, with a pianist in a church.

I intend to just record it onto mini disc as a location recording. However I want a quality recording, so any help on which microphones would give me the best quality so I can hire them would be great!
Hey Roger,
I did onlocation recording of classical music for years.

You mention you are in a position to rent gear. What is your budget?
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

A matched stereo pair of small diaphram condenser mics is probably your easiest route. Oktava mc012s are good. The MXL 993s are less so but adequate. Anything more expensive I wouldn't know about.

Try these placement schemes:

1 mic onstage where the conductor would stand, 1 in the back of the hall.

1 mic on either side of the stage at about head height

Both mics on the same stand facing opposite directions on a line running parallel to the rows of seats, about 50 feet into the seating area. (I have seen something like this used by The Tallis Scholars for their recordings.)

Every hall has its sweet spots. Knowing how to find them is a science all its own. I can't really help you there. But if you walk around the hall during rehearsal with your hands cupped around your ears toward the stage (to eliminate excess hall noise) you will find spots where the sound is much louder than in other places. Placing one or both of the mics in one of these spots will probably give you a louder signal.

Blah, blah, blah.

Hope that helps.

MickGael wrote:
rogermullard wrote:Hello,

Hey Roger,
I did onlocation recording of classical music for years.

You mention you are in a position to rent gear. What is your budget?

Im not sure yet. Perhaps two microphones and maybe a mixer. I do have a 12 channel mixer in studio..

Return to “Production Techniques”