[Meta Topic] Has Melda changed something in their internal toolkits?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious, because just reading this forum it looks like in the latest versions something get broken, like some compatibility with linux/wine and other bugs.

So i was just thinking if Melda is transitioning from some tool (or just a different version) to something else, and if/when the transition will end if a "porting" is in the making

I recall them saying they've made some internal changes for things like MCompare. What the source of those changes are, I don't think they've disclosed.

Frankie.T wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:54 am I'm curious, because just reading this forum it looks like in the latest versions something get broken, like some compatibility with linux/wine and other bugs.

So i was just thinking if Melda is transitioning from some tool (or just a different version) to something else, and if/when the transition will end if a "porting" is in the making
It would be real nice to have an official statement about this.

mevla wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 am
Frankie.T wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:54 am I'm curious, because just reading this forum it looks like in the latest versions something get broken, like some compatibility with linux/wine and other bugs.

It would be real nice to have an official statement about this.
I'd call just a "curiosity talk" more than official statement. This isn't something they "must" tell or whatever, what we need to know as customers, is the ability to use our plugins and to open even older projects with the latest versions (so backward compatibility).

This is just for the sake of curiosity, and so i called "meta topic". It's something for people who are interested on what they do, as we are interested in their products.
And so would be nice to know something more, if the transition/change is already happened, if it's still in progress, and stuff like that.

Frankie.T wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:48 pm
mevla wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 am It would be real nice to have an official statement about this.
I'd call just a "curiosity talk" more than official statement. This isn't something they "must" tell or whatever, what we need to know as customers, is the ability to use our plugins and to open even older projects with the latest versions (so backward compatibility).

This is just for the sake of curiosity, and so i called "meta topic". It's something for people who are interested on what they do, as we are interested in their products.
And so would be nice to know something more, if the transition/change is already happened, if it's still in progress, and stuff like that.
Backward compatibility and alteration of product behaviour that can have detrimental issues in any other consumer domain would be more than 'curiosity talk'.

mevla wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:21 am
Frankie.T wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:48 pm
mevla wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 am It would be real nice to have an official statement about this.

Backward compatibility and alteration of product behaviour that can have detrimental issues in any other consumer domain would be more than 'curiosity talk'.
I agree with you about it, these are fundamentals! Expecially with Melda where we have the same plugin name going through different versions (so a project made with MADEQ v1, is loaded with V16 or whatever comes) and this is awesome to avoid installing and mantaining multiple versions, but backward compatibility become essential, cause you cannot install multiple version!

My question was more about assuming BC isn't affected, but just maybe some temporary bug because of changes/transitions

Melda very rarely breaks BC. Indeed it is among their flagship priorities. In the times they have done so, they explicitly state it in their release notes.

If BC get broken i'd prefer a different naming version for the plugin instead of just a note. So we are still able to correctly load older project with the latest versions

Hexspa wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:18 pm Melda very rarely breaks BC. Indeed it is among their flagship priorities. In the times they have done so, they explicitly state it in their release notes.
In perhaps 7 years I've never ever seen backward compatibility broken as far as my numerous musical projects are concerned.

But then, very rarely Melda gets bought by another company.

Return to “MeldaProduction”