Unable to solo send effect tracks - W13

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I created four tracks to use as send effects ex. delay, chorus, reverb, compression. These four tracks are routed to another track I use as a mix bus for the sends. For organization purposes I place the four tracks in a folder. If I solo the source track which is also sending audio to one of the send tracks (like reverb for instance), it only solos the audio track but I cannot hear the reverb send. I've tried enabling solo isolate on the send track but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Also if I only solo the send track I do not hear any audio at all. I would expect to hear the reverb send track as well as the source track.

I'm very new to Waveform and have been testing the trial version for the last two weeks or so. I'm still trying to figure out its workflow coming from Cubase, Studio One, Bitwig, etc. Some things are easy for me to grasp while others are challenging. But I can certainly see the potential for it to be a complete DAW for my productions once all the features I'm used to are implemented at some point. Hopefully sooner than later as I'm contemplating on buying a full license for Waveform Pro once my trial license expires.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Rev-Delay.png
:phones:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orion, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixbus :party: :tu: :clap:
Win 10, intel i7, ram 20 steinberg UR22mkII :wink:

Thanks for responding. Route the output of the "Melody" track to a new audio track. Create another audio track and route the reverb and delay aux tracks to it. Also place the aux tracks in a folder (not a submix track). Tell me if you're still able to solo melody and still hear the aux tracks. Next, try to solo each of the aux tracks individually. Basically, replicate the setup I outlined in my original post. Thanks.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Folders are just containers in Waveform...for example, I dump alternate takes, unused clips, etc., into them and mute them. I then close up the folder to declutter my screen. Folders have very few audio processing options. A submix however allows for processing and is a better mix bus.

Imstre's picture above is how to accomplish your goal with sends and returns and exactly how I would do it. I'm not sure of your goal in routing the output of Melody to a new track unless you're trying to avoid submixes or using Waveform's and and return plugins. No reason you can't do this, though, but using folders is probably causing you issues since they're not design for anything fancy.
Last edited by Watchful on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

BTW, Imstre, nice labels on your aux tracks! The masking tape is excellent! Any more realistic, and you'd have crossouts and scratchouts on them.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

I found the submix tracks in their current implementation to cause more problems than they are worth (at least for my use case). For example their output is based solely on the output of the child tracks. Coming from other DAWs, this makes no sense to me. Also I ran into major issues with solo as well. I'm trying to replicate a similar template that I created in Cubase which is quite complex. So far I'm running into a lot of roadblocks using Waveform. I understand that its workflow is somewhat different so I'll need to adapt but I would expect basic functionality to be present and what's in place now to work properly.

summer2000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:31 pm Thanks for responding. Route the output of the "Melody" track to a new audio track. Create another audio track and route the reverb and delay aux tracks to it. Also place the aux tracks in a folder (not a submix track). Tell me if you're still able to solo melody and still hear the aux tracks. Next, try to solo each of the aux tracks individually. Basically, replicate the setup I outlined in my original post. Thanks.
:phones: :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Watchful wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:26 pm BTW, Imstre, nice labels on your aux tracks! The masking tape is excellent! Any more realistic, and you'd have crossouts and scratchouts on them.
:love: Thanks!

So you are muting the all instruments folder, what if you had other other tracks routed there and needed to solo just the melody track. What do you get when you solo just the melody track? Does it still work? I'm away from my studio at the moment but I will test it for myself when I get a chance.

summer2000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 pm So you are muting the all instruments folder, what if you had other other tracks routed there and needed to solo just the melody track. What do you get when you solo just the melody track? Does it still work? I'm away from my studio at the moment but I will test it for myself when I get a chance.
all instr as second master channel (premaster)
all instrument or audio loops are directed to this channel and the sound from it goes to the master channel.

imstre wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:59 pm
summer2000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 pm So you are muting the all instruments folder, what if you had other other tracks routed there and needed to solo just the melody track. What do you get when you solo just the melody track? Does it still work? I'm away from my studio at the moment but I will test it for myself when I get a chance.
all instr as second master channel (premaster)
all instrument or audio loops are directed to this channel and the sound from it goes to the master channel.
I'm aware of how you are using the bus tracks. I wanted you to confirm if you were able to solo the melody track. Also in my example, I have the send effect tracks routed to an audio track as well. Yours seem to be routed to main output 1+2 although you placed them in a folder. That could be why solo in your setup worked. Solo you should work regardless of where the output is routed to. For anyone who has worked with Studio One, Reaper, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etc you'll know what I'm referring to. In any case, I will see for myself when I'm back in the studio.

I don't think it's necessary to complicate a simple solo task,
To hear the solo, the rest of the channels can be muted,
The mix must be listened to together,
in one case or another, all roads lead to the Master channel, don't look for a problem that only complicates the creation.
You can create second editions and edit and listen separately there
and then copy and transfer to the first editions

Nothing complicated about trying to replicate a template that I have been using in pretty much every other DAW for years now. I did get a chance to give it another shot when I got to the studio. It appears to me that Waveform is not currently designed to handle complex routings that use folders and submixes. I may try it again if is addressed in a future update. Thanks for your input.

There's a feature request in here, as it also affects rendering tracks that output to another track. ie: if you want to render down to some point in the signal path before the 'to output 1 and 2' stage.

So a freeze point can capture the audio chain to a specific point, but rendering can't. Unless I just haven't figured it out

When I need a bus in Waveform, I simply create a track and route desired tracks into it. For example. When I need a Bass Bus, I create new track BASS and I choose this track on the inputs of all Bass tracks. I also nest my buses into a folder track just to keep things tidy...
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

Return to “Tracktion”