Korg goes rack!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool. I did not expect this but I like it. If they hit the stores at 500-600 euro mark I will get a Wavestate or ModWave module. I don't have space for any more keys so a module fits me good.

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/01/korg-t ... dwave.html

i'm excited! also got no space for more keyboards or desktop-units, but plenty of space in the rack. hopefully this starts a comeback :D
Last edited by audio/fault on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I will probably grab the Desktop versions of opsix and modwave, but when at sensible prices (Opsix currently £435)
https://www.andertons.co.uk/korg-opsix- ... ynthesizer
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

Modwave is a great synth but I am pretty happy having them all as VSTS, this as a great option though- I also have a soft spot for rack synths from days past but only have one left now (P8 rack). I also would have thought they would have been a but cheaper (given how cheap they sold off the keyboard versions) - maybe £350.

It's very cool that they are MPE and MIDI 2.0...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I don't know if Korg will or not, but with the more powerful mkII dsp/processors, they could add better reverb algorithms. I find them somewhat lacking in Opsix, although Modwave/Wavestate seem fine. Also, I've been playing around with the random feature today, and although I find the majority of demos of the opsix on youtube disappointing, I think it can really blow things away as an ambient machine, but it desperately needs a really good reverb attached.
Also, another odd thing is the lack of multitimbrality. With all that extra polyphony more or less going to waste. It just means having to pair the opsix with a sampler/effects pedal or perhaps the Digitone to get the most out of it.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

I want them all and I want them now.

I had an OpSix for a short period, but I didn't like the size and keybed was just absolute sh!t, so I sold it pretty quickly. But, I really liked the sound and it had the best UI of any FM hardware synth I've ever used, so I'm glad to see a mk2 rack version. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but it's not a high priority for me right now. I do wish they would've also improved the sliders and knobs, since those all felt pretty cheap as well, but that's not a dealbreaker for me, and maybe they have been improved anyway?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I've wanted a wavestate but I hate finding space for keyboards. I love rack mount shit if it's not too many u. I'm probably in on this, but I'll have to think about it more.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:20 pm I've wanted a wavestate but I hate finding space for keyboards. I love rack mount shit if it's not too many u. I'm probably in on this, but I'll have to think about it more.
You could try out the Wavestate Native demo perhaps or even buy it when it's on offer (it's still going for $99.99!!!)
https://korg.shop/wavestate-native.html ... re=english

This is very good news for me!
I hope we will see something analog one like Mini/Monologue, or 1U version of volca :)

egbert101 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:36 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:20 pm I've wanted a wavestate but I hate finding space for keyboards. I love rack mount shit if it's not too many u. I'm probably in on this, but I'll have to think about it more.
You could try out the Wavestate Native demo perhaps or even buy it when it's on offer (it's still going for $99.99!!!)
https://korg.shop/wavestate-native.html ... re=english
Yeah, it's not that. I love the wavestate. I really love the live interaction with it. I don't need to try it out, I just need to decide if I want to get one. I don't want a plugin, I want hardware. It's more a matter of whether it makes sense in my rack vs something else.

cryophonik wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:08 pm I had an OpSix for a short period, but I didn't like the size and keybed was just absolute sh!t, so I sold it pretty quickly. But, I really liked the sound and it had the best UI of any FM hardware synth I've ever used, so I'm glad to see a mk2 rack version. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but it's not a high priority for me right now. I do wish they would've also improved the sliders and knobs, since those all felt pretty cheap as well, but that's not a dealbreaker for me, and maybe they have been improved anyway?
Did you find it usable in a real-time way? I've never really felt that FM lent itself well to that. FM sounds can quickly become harsh and useless. Simple algorithms that are really just some variant of additive can be useful, but one hardly needs expensive hardware for that.

As much as I want the WaveState in hardware, I guess I tend to prefer software for FM. I do recall getting really fast on the DX21 with it's single data slider. I'm not sure that I want to go there again though.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:57 am
Did you find it usable in a real-time way? I've never really felt that FM lent itself well to that. FM sounds can quickly become harsh and useless. Simple algorithms that are really just some variant of additive can be useful, but one hardly needs expensive hardware for that.
It's just so much more than FM synth with every operator having
- one of six modes, fm, fm filter, filter, ring, wavefolding, effect
- effect can be 1 of 10 effects, like phaser, comb filter, delay, waveshaper etc
- waveshaper effect has 60 waveforms
- one of a dozen waveforms on each operator
- 6 sliders for realtime use
- any operator can be carrier as well as modulator to hear it

It's a sound lab work horse for real what you can do.
- and motion recording of 6 parameters as well
- 12 slot modulation matrix

But one thing for live use is User operator.
- every operator can send to any of the others
- this with any amount from 0-100%
- and this amount is scale on to the slider for operator full scale

Example to illustrate
You have one operator sending like this, if operator 6 in example
- send to no 1 by 10%
- send to no 2 by 30%
- send to no 3 by 50%
- send to no 4 by 80%
- send to no 5 by 100%
- send to itself as feedback by 10%

So just moving slider 6 these are scaled to full length of slider.
- and if really going wild you can do similar cross "contamination" on many operators at the same time

I use it for fun experiments to find "accidents" but see the live use there as well.
- what happends if....

On global level there is also Attack and Decay to alter all operators on these parameters with an offset.
- also cool for live use

Layout of control with 6 knobs on the side is really good too. Hand find it's way without looking even doing parameters.

So don't look at Opsix as regular fm with just sine and some algos.
- it's magnitudes more than that

I put together the modes from manual in a single pic here below.
- those with Osc Mix can adjust internal osc level as well as on slider

I'm well beyond honey moon and still grab it daily to just sit and experiment.

If to wish for something would be as on DeepMind having choice if global effect is send or insert.
- to just leak a little from any operator
- but on global level you send to each effect of 3 as you wish

I find keybed ok, and number of keys can be fixed recording on sequencer in one octave setting, and then play live in another.

Another Opsix fanboi post....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cryophonik wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:08 pm I do wish they would've also improved the sliders and knobs, since those all felt pretty cheap as well, but that's not a dealbreaker for me, and maybe they have been improved anyway?
Think I’ll retract this statement. I was in Guitar Center earlier today and they had an Opsix v1 on display. The knobs and sliders actually felt much better than I remember (but the keybed was just as crappy as I recalled).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Thanks for the post lfm. I'll probably sit down and watch a few videos. I am REALLY appreciative that Korg has decided to go this way. I would like to see more of this really from other manufactures as well. 3-5 u with fantastic real time control. I have always liked the wavestation which is why I looked into the wavestate.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”