Hardware resale prices

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I only very recently just bought my first ever synth, so I don't have any experience dealing with the values of used gear.

Just purely as some general guidance / advice for if I wanted to sell it; what percentage of the price that you paid for something would you list it for, if it was only a month old and in perfect condition?
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

It really depends on the brand and model. And, availability, of course.

Some used prices are absolutely mental, to say the least.

More so with vintage stuff though, right? It's only a Korg Monologue, only released 6 years ago. So, can't expect to ask anything too mental for it.

Only used a handful of times, so I was just more unsure about what the condition of a unit does to setting a price. Or, should I treat it the same as software, where around a 50% loss (on retail prices) is pretty common?

Choikdoi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:16 pm More so with vintage stuff though, right?
Yeah. Although even currently sold and available gear often sells for 3/4 of the new price.

If you want to know what you could charge for your synth, I'd recommend checking Reverb.com (mostly for U.S. citizens, I think), Ebay or Ebay Classifieds.

OK, 3/4 sounds easier to stomach than I'd feared!

I'll have a look at the listings on those websites, Reverb looks like a good place to start rather than Ebay. Thanks for the recommendations.

Korg Monologue seems to be 299 € at Thomann (actually, the blue one is only 278 €). Used prices at Classifieds range from about 190 to 240 € here. so, not bad.

Wait 20 years, and you can take vintage prices. :D

I've bought and sold a LOT of used gear over the past two decades and I agree that 75% of the cost of new is a good general starting point, but it can go up or down from there, depending on a number of factors, including the age and condition, demand for the item you're selling, whether or not it's still in production, etc. You'll get the best price if you bought it brand new and kept it in the studio, have all the original included accessories, documentation, and box. I always find it best to be very clear about these things and specify all the details when selling and, very importantly, include very good photos from multiple angles. Trust me, potential buyers will pay more and spend it more quickly if you take the time to provide details and good photos showing the condition of the synth very clearly without them having to ask you a dozen questions. Nothing makes people skip an ad quicker than ad that says little more than "selling my synth" and has one crappy low-quality image (although, sometimes I find the best deals this way, since it will keep other buyers away).

My advice is to check your local ads to see what people are asking and price yours accordingly. Craigslist is a good gauge for what to expect, so see if you can find some for sale in your city and/or nearby cities (search as many as you can). Also, when you check them, you'll see in the ad how long the ad has been posted. If it's been posted for months, then they're possibly asking too much, or they aren't doing a very good job of advertising it (i.e., see my advice above). Reverb.com and eBay are also good resources, but keep in mind that people will hike their prices up to compensate for the fees they have to pay. Reverb.com does have some resources to help you see how much your particular model actually sold for in the last few months, so that can help you set your price (keeping in mind that they're probably higher than you might sell it for locally).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Don't forget to add post and packaging costs, and any other risks.
<list your stupid gear here>

Many thanks for all the advice. I'll put it up on Reverb ASAP, once I get some pics taken. Luckily, from what I'm hearing, it seems like I should be able to get enough to cover the majority of the cost for a replacement synth that had been my 2nd choice. I didn't want to be put off hardware from only my first experience of it, but the Monologue just wasn't for me, despite plenty of research before buying.

Choikdoi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:15 pm I didn't want to be put off hardware from only my first experience of it, but the Monologue just wasn't for me, despite plenty of research before buying.
No worries. Musical instruments are a very personal and subjective thing.

Don't get me started on those "Which synth should I buy?" threads. :roll:

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:24 pm Don't get me started on those "Which synth should I buy?" threads. :roll:
go modular. im 20-40% happier than before.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:24 pm Don't get me started on those "Which synth should I buy?" threads. :roll:
Well, I can't say I've never asked that question before!

I think it's relatively acceptable, in context of being new to everything and a little daunted. Then a few recommendations can be helpful. Let's just say... as long as you have a post count under a certain number and you're not asking specifically "which synth is the best?" :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:47 pm
I demoed some modular stuff just before the Black Friday sales... still can't get my head round any of it at all haha :(

Which, unfortunately influences my decisions on hardware, because a lot of the stuff I like the sound of in the cheap price range is at least semi-modular.

Choikdoi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:07 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:47 pm
I demoed some modular stuff just before the Black Friday sales... still can't get my head round any of it at all haha :(

Which, unfortunately influences my decisions on hardware, because a lot of the stuff I like the sound of in the cheap price range is at least semi-modular.
not to sway any future purchases, but we (the modular community) are a very helpful bunch. 8)

both with getting to know the modular, and spending all your money :hihi:
don't be put off by it, if it has the sound you like, a single semi modular is not too hard to get to know :)
just takes a bit of confidence. seriously if someone as unorganised as me can do it, anyone can!

For the first time ever, I've found that selling used gear is a lot more difficult than in previous times in my life. Stuff sits here in the Classifieds section or Reverb for what seems like forever. Not sure what that's about... maybe the influx of new gear from Behringer that's just cheap. I've got an old, but good condition General Music S2, an old ROMpler workstationb, but renowned for it's high quality keyboard with polyphonic aftertouch. I can't seem to give it away, so I'm just going to keep it as a back up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”