Astronomy: Total Lunar Eclipse coming up!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Astronuts

OCT 27th..TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE. DON'T MISS IT!perhaps a good subject for an M42 Peice.so FYI!

Heres a copy/paste from skywatch:

Tim

==========================================

Less than a year after North America was treated to a total lunar eclipse, another one will take place on the final Wednesday of this month.

Almost everyone in the Americas and Western Europe will have a beautiful view of this eclipse. The Moon will be positioned well up in a dark, evening sky as viewed from most of the United States and Canada.

Along the immediate West Coast the first partial stage of the eclipse will get under way just minutes after the Moon has risen. But by late twilight even Westerners will have a fine view of the totally eclipsed Moon, probably glowing dimly like a reddish ember low in the eastern sky.

Across much of Alaska, the eclipse will already be underway when the Moon comes up; over southwest Alaska, the Moon will rise totally eclipsed, appearing like a weird, mottled, dim ball among the twilight stars. For Hawaiians, moonrise comes just after the end of totality, with the Moon ascending with its gradual emergence from the shadow readily visible.

Easy to watch

It is easy to view this celestial spectacle.

Unlike an eclipse of the Sun, which requires special viewing precautions in order to avoid eye damage, an eclipse of the Moon is perfectly safe to watch. All you'll need are your eyes, but binoculars or a telescope will give a much nicer view.

Totality will last somewhat longer than average, as eclipses go. The Moon will track through the northern portion of the Earth’s total shadow, called the umbra, creating a total shadow on the Moon for 1 hour and 22 minutes.

Unless airborne volcanic aerosols or other atmospheric effects influence its appearance, the Moon’s disk should appear relatively bright, even when in shadow and especially right around the beginning and end of totality. The upper part of the Moon will likely appear brightest and glowing a ruddy or coppery hue, while the lower half of the Moon should look grayer or chocolate in color.

The eclipse will actually begin when the Moon enters the faint outer portion, or penumbra, of the Earth's shadow more than an hour before it begins moving into the umbra. The penumbra, however, is all but invisible to the eye until the Moon becomes deeply immersed in it. Sharp-eyed viewers may get their first glimpse of the penumbra as a faint "smudge" on the left part of the Moon's disk at or around 8:48 p.m. EDT or 6:48 p.m. MDT.

Main event

Below is a timeline, for Eastern Daylight Time. In the Central Time Zone, subtract one hour from these times; in the Mountain Time Zone, two hours, and for the Pacific Time Zone, three hours.

9:14 p.m.: Moon enters Earth’s dark umbral shadow
10:23 p.m.: Totality begins
11:04 p.m.: Mid-eclipse
11:45 p.m.: Totality ends
12:54 a.m. (Oct. 28): Moon leaves the umbra
For Europe and Africa, the mid-point of this eclipse occurs roughly between midnight and dawn on the morning of Oct. 28 and as such the Moon will still be well placed in the western sky. At the moment of mid-totality (3:04 GMT), the Moon will stand directly overhead from a point in the Atlantic Ocean roughly several hundred miles to the northeast of the coast of Suriname.

I have been awaiting this patiently :-)

I was just reading up on it myself.
(I Keep the Monthly SkyNews Mag right here Handy)

I Hope we have clear skies...
The Orionid Meteor shower peaked last night too .... But we were in Fog here... Might see some this week still though. Look up ....mostly after midnite.

Also it is easy to photograph the Lunar Eclipse ...If you have a telescope .... Just hold, (or Mount would be much better) your digital camera over a Low Powered eyepiece and shoot at about 2- 4 seconds .... But Experiment with this and keep her steady.
Cheers Tim
Paul

Thanks Tim. I will look forward to this. I will emerge from my nightly studio efforts and hopefully the sky will be clear.

Best,
Gordon

manytone wrote:I have been awaiting this patiently :-)

I was just reading up on it myself.
(I Keep the Monthly SkyNews Mag right here Handy)

I Hope we have clear skies...
The Orionid Meteor shower peaked last night too .... But we were in Fog here... Might see some this week still though. Look up ....mostly after midnite.

Also it is easy to photograph the Lunar Eclipse ...If you have a telescope .... Just hold, (or Mount would be much better) your digital camera over a Low Powered eyepiece and shoot at about 2- 4 seconds .... But Experiment with this and keep her steady.
Cheers Tim
Paul

I was told yesterday ( by my Physical Theripist) that there was going
to be a meteor shower this morning at 5:30AM. So set the alarm, woke up (AGGHH) and bundled up and went
outside to the backyard with my 15x70 binocs expecting clouds as it
has been raining heavily for the last several days here in the Bay
Area. To my surprise, it was the clearist I have seen it, and also to
my wonder was the bright Orion and company shining in all it's glory.
Got M42 right away in my binocs and then decided the temptation was
too great. Uncovered the scope and brought it out, and had my first
real look at the Great Orion Nebula. What a sight! I was really
G.O.N ! :-) Of course I have seen it before many times when I was a
kid. Used to have a 4 1/4" Edmunds. But now as an adult( more or
less) I can really appreciatte this sight, and a great view thru my
6".

Now to the meteor shower: I was graced my 5 meteors. One was huge and
swept the entire s-e sky right inbetween Orion and Tuarus, at least
50 degrees. Two more smaller ones but very bright right below
Taurus.One had an unusual curve to it. Another one shot at an angle
right across Orions Belt..WOW! The last one was a faint one near the
zenith. I may have missed some due to my scopeing and binocing around
at all the views. Then the sun came up, which was a nice sight as
well.

Also tracked two satellites. One seemed to come from one of the stars
in orions belt. It was actually bright orange, and circular when
viewed thru the binocs. Very bright orange.Saw another satillite as
well..and moved pretty fast across the sky.

anybody else see this shower? I had a great time.

TC

My sky was completely obscurred by clouds during the shower..

:x

sicklecell666 wrote:My sky was completely obscurred by clouds during the shower..

"obscurred by clouds "

Nice name for a tune or album!
but sorry to hear that Donavan. I was just lucky as its been raining all week. Hope the eclipse day will be clear...or clear enough! I plan to put my camcorder up to my 25MM eyepiece of my scope and shoot the whole thing. I don't have a mount ( although I guess I could rig one up)

TC

tconrardy wrote:
sicklecell666 wrote:My sky was completely obscurred by clouds during the shower..

"obscurred by clouds "

So you didn't miss out on my not-so-oblique reference to Pink Floyd, then..?

:hihi:

sicklecell666 wrote:
tconrardy wrote:

"obscurred by clouds "

So you didn't miss out on my not-so-oblique reference to Pink Floyd, then..?

:hihi:
Now...I thought that phrase was from somwhere! Just gimme some shelter :-)

BTW: just got back from the library with the 3 volumes of Burnhams Celestrial Handbook...good stuff, and not dated yet :-)

TC

tconrardy wrote: BTW: just got back from the library with the 3 volumes of Burnhams Celestrial Handbook...good stuff, and not dated yet :-)

TC
Yeah, I had those back when. Good books, yes.

There's one book in particular I need to get you the name & author of; it's a Grail for backyard astronomers..Written by one of the guys on the Cassinni project, it's probably the best reference book I've even seen for astrophotography..

And it's out of print I believe, so you're gonna have to hunt for it.

More info

TC

Heres an Eclipse Guide:GOOD INFO !

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/041022_ ... guide.html

TC

Hey Tim, before I forget, here's the info on that book I mentioned:

Authors: Brad D. Wallis & Robert W. Provin

Title: A manual of advanced celestial photography

The book was made by Cambridge University Press, & is one of the, if not THE best book/s to have..It went out of print a few years ago, but may have resurfaced during my absence from the hobby.

Get it. Trust me, you'll be glad you did..

THE ECLIPSE IS TONIGHT!!!!

get out there...download the luney tunes on the cafe and WATCH IT!

TC

so..did anyone see it?

Tim

Yep. I was surprised at how red the tint actually was considering that the red coloration is largely a result of the discharge from St. Helen's..

It's a small world.

Return to “AlgoMusic”