IK Pianoverse

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:22 am I wish IK would just go away. The worst company ever when it comes to registering/downloading/installing/etc. I heard their orchestral library was free and just yawned. Even for free not worth the hassle.
Hi, I recently installed and authorized IK's MixBox on a linux setup, with their latest manager tool,
and am using it with Syntronik and Amplitube. I have fast and stable internet, so downloads are not a problem. I do back-up my downloads to multiple drives ASAP, but it's only $10 to renew all expired downloads, should there be 'big trouble in River City'.

I recorded this with a SampleTank piano, and look forward to using Pianoverse. Santa's crew has been officially notified :hyper:

https://youtu.be/uCHdBpn29MQ

(yeah, I'm also no fan of superfluous tools to perform routine duties like an ala-cart installation,
but to me, excellent musical tools are still worth some serious effort. I also have NI's Noire,
and must sometimes deal with Native Access when it throws a fit :dog: )
Cheers

jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:55 pm So you either need to buy a $3000 MIDI controller for the pedal, or MacGyver your own USB pedal?

Seems like a huge opening in the market for a music accessories company.

I wonder if IK is paying attention.
I don't know if this is what you're after, but the Kawai pedal is also sold separately:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 7se-mp11se
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Download SOphist wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:15 am
jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:55 pm So you either need to buy a $3000 MIDI controller for the pedal, or MacGyver your own USB pedal?

Seems like a huge opening in the market for a music accessories company.

I wonder if IK is paying attention.
I don't know if this is what you're after, but the Kawai pedal is also sold separately:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 7se-mp11se
Thanks. That's definitely what I would be looking for. But unfortunately it is only for the MP7SE / MP11SE, and it uses a proprietary data cable to connect to the Kawai keyboard. That makes sense, since regular CV can't support 3 continuous pedals on one phono jack. If you go to Kawai's product page, you can see the cable connector.

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/gfp-3/

A universal device with 3 continuous controller pedals would have to be USB.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:18 pm
This is giving me some ideas about gutting the PCB from my StealthPedal and replacing it with an Arduino board, probably the Uno REV 3. It looks like I could use the StealthPedal's existing potentiometer and just connect it to the Arduino and be good to go. Then I could hardcode the CC# in the pedal and use it as a standard USB device without the stupid abandonware MIDI Control app that the StealthPedal is dependent on to work, which hasn't worked on Mac OS for years.

https://docs.arduino.cc/learn/electroni ... ter-basics
Uno won't cut it as it does not have native USB support in order to get USB MIDI (there is a trick to do it but don't bother if you don't already have one). There are specific Arduino versions that offer that functionality such as Micro.

I have a few great pianos. Pass.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Costis wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:24 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:18 pm
This is giving me some ideas about gutting the PCB from my StealthPedal and replacing it with an Arduino board, probably the Uno REV 3. It looks like I could use the StealthPedal's existing potentiometer and just connect it to the Arduino and be good to go. Then I could hardcode the CC# in the pedal and use it as a standard USB device without the stupid abandonware MIDI Control app that the StealthPedal is dependent on to work, which hasn't worked on Mac OS for years.

https://docs.arduino.cc/learn/electroni ... ter-basics
Uno won't cut it as it does not have native USB support in order to get USB MIDI (there is a trick to do it but don't bother if you don't already have one). There are specific Arduino versions that offer that functionality such as Micro.
Huh. It has a full sized USB port which is the reason I want that one, since the StealthPedal uses USB-B and has a port cut out for it.

What’s the trick to get native support? And are there other versions with the full size USB and similar dimensions that support native USB?

Edit — it looks like this information is available here:

https://tttapa.github.io/Control-Surfac ... r-USB.html

If I’m reading it correctly, the Uno can be flashed with MIDI firmware after programming.

As long as it will be a plug-n-play USB device after that and not need any software on the computer to see it, I’m OK with that.

Uno seems to be the only one with USB-B.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The first reason I wouldn't be interested is it's IK. I've seen the issue having to pay more to retrieve samples, which is :nutter: but this is not the vendor for samples for me for more than one reason anyway. aside from the other whack shit I've had to eat from them (twice there were technological changes - eg., adopting x64 finally - where they'd change the internal ID for the tRacks so every instance of it in VE Pro was kaput). Anyway, I never threw any money at a piano library (having a couple of things which came from eg., Kontakt) before late 2020 or early 2021 when finally I bought the Bosendorfer Imperial grand from VSL in the Synchron Piano line, which changed my life musically. This is highly unlikely to compete with that (& I'm not avid to collect pianos anyhow).

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:11 pm
bob_gray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:05 pm I'm interested. The demos sound really good. One question for any owners or IK representatives — how much control do you get over the velocity curve? If this is designed to be played in realtime as opposed to just being a sample library, which it looks like it is, this is a critical feature for me. One of the big appeals of Pianoteq is the "calibration assistant", which walks you through the process of creating a custom reponse curve for your hardware.

I have quite a nice digital piano which sounds great when playing its own samples, but for external instruments it struggles to produce MIDI velocities over about 110. I really need the ability to modify the curve to my exact requirements. I know there are plugins out there that can do this, even some built into various DAWs, but I'd much prefer to have it built in.
What controller are you using? I know that we have plans to add curves for common controllers but I can dig deeper to find out whether yours might be on that list but also if not and/or in the mean time if you wanted to drop me a more detailed PM about what your specific needs are I can see what can be done currently and what might be updated in the future.
Earlier I mentioned that IK needs to make a 3-pedal USB controller that supports continuous control for all 3 pedals over assignable CC to use with Pianoverse. I do not believe any such device currently exists.

But it is possible that I have overlooked something, so I should ask...

Are there any soft/sostenuto/damper 3-pedal MIDI CC controllers that let you take full advantage of Pianoverse's continuous pedal control for half- and catch-pedaling for all 3 pedals that IK can recommend for Pianoverse?

Peter, could you name some specific products that unlock Pianoverse's full pedaling potential, perhaps any that were tested during development?
Not USB, but they do exist. Mine is an accessory for my RD700NX, but it it has normal jack connectors. And it's continuous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I see a lot of interesting pedal information here and I've also put the question up to the team beyond specific curves for common controllers and with regard to any proper pedal suggestions. I'll share more information as I have it.

Peter, is there a demo? I'd love to try!

the "demo" is simply subscribing to the product for one month to try it.

eagle007 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:35 pm Not USB, but they do exist. Mine is an accessory for my RD700NX, but it it has normal jack connectors. And it's continuous.

Thanks. The problem with this one is it has 3 separate phono jacks for 3 CV signals. It’s functionally no different than connecting 3 separate CV sustain pedals.

So you need a MIDI device with 3 CV jacks on it, which doesn’t help me, or most people.

You would think that in 2023 there would be a USB device with 3 pedals. They make everything else USB. You can get a USB-controlled buttplug, but not a USB piano pedalboard?

Once again, this world disappoints me.

jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:36 pmThanks. The problem with this one is it has 3 separate phono jacks for 3 CV signals. It’s functionally no different than connecting 3 separate CV sustain pedals.

So you need a MIDI device with 3 CV jacks on it, which doesn’t help me, or most people.

You would think that in 2023 there would be a USB device with 3 pedals. They make everything else USB. You can get a USB-controlled buttplug, but not a USB piano pedalboard?

Once again, this world disappoints me.
Get your point. Probably coz most 88-key weighted controllers have their own custom options, and most that do not have a weighted keybed might not use this.

Back on topic: are there any comparison/shootout videos available on Pianoverse? It really looks like an interesting product, but having VSL CFX Full, VSL Steinway Full, Garritan CFX, some Ivory II and Ivory 3 I am curious how it compares. And feels a bit weird to have to pay € 15 bucks to demo it.

eagle007 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:16 pm I am curious how it compares. And feels a bit weird to have to pay € 15 bucks to demo it.
Samers

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:16 pm
VitaminD wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:17 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:45 am A rather telling KVR thread - major release from a major developer attracts little interest and no discussion of the product itself because it is not a synth.
I clicked out of curiosity but am not interested in buying/using because its developed by IKM.
Fair dos, I did also forget how much animosity people have here to every developer that employs more than 3 people.

Think this sounds terrific, though I'll confess I'm no ultimate piano connoisseur. I personally don't need it as I have a ton of pianos I like, but I wish it well.
Hah! That's one way to dismiss the very real issues without actually dealing with any of them. I'm not here to hash them out either, I was just responding to your comment as to the why. But you've been around long enough to know there are far more reasonable and pressing concerns than the ones you made. If you enjoy it though, enjoy it and make great music.

Return to “Instruments”