IK Pianoverse

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:45 am A rather telling KVR thread - major release from a major developer attracts little interest and no discussion of the product itself because it is not a synth.
To be fair you only gave it a day. There's been lots if interest in kvr about other piano products like pianoteq or keyscape. But still, you're right in that there would be more interest somewhere like vi control. Kvr is pretty synth and effect focused.

seangm wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:10 pm
pkward88 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:13 am Just picked this up today. Took a bit to download the samples. My first impression is VERY positive. I got the Steinway (NY). Out of the box, the sounds are very natural and playable, better than most sampled libraries. The control over certain parameters like resonance, hammer noise, pedal noise, etc., are similar to modeled pianos like PianoTeq (which I love). I think I'll be using this extensively, and feel as though it is a very good value for money as a piano sound. The effects flexibility takes it to another level for sound design and for recording versatility. The IK effects built into this look to be inspired by their well-regarded T-Racks 5 line (which I own). The other effects are useful, even trendy (the tape effects are legit for EDM/Remix). A very interesting product that I can recommend.
Thanks for the review, does it run in SampleTank only or is it a standalone instrument? I don't like the SampleTank UI.
Pianoverse is its own product and does not install nor run inside SampleTank.

bob_gray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:05 pm I'm interested. The demos sound really good. One question for any owners or IK representatives — how much control do you get over the velocity curve? If this is designed to be played in realtime as opposed to just being a sample library, which it looks like it is, this is a critical feature for me. One of the big appeals of Pianoteq is the "calibration assistant", which walks you through the process of creating a custom reponse curve for your hardware.

I have quite a nice digital piano which sounds great when playing its own samples, but for external instruments it struggles to produce MIDI velocities over about 110. I really need the ability to modify the curve to my exact requirements. I know there are plugins out there that can do this, even some built into various DAWs, but I'd much prefer to have it built in.
What controller are you using? I know that we have plans to add curves for common controllers but I can dig deeper to find out whether yours might be on that list but also if not and/or in the mean time if you wanted to drop me a more detailed PM about what your specific needs are I can see what can be done currently and what might be updated in the future.

robelanator wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:09 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:45 am A rather telling KVR thread - major release from a major developer attracts little interest and no discussion of the product itself because it is not a synth.
My guess is that you’ll see a lot more opinions on this product once it’s included with the next version of Total Studio MAX. When I already own MAX then it doesn’t make sense to pay $99 per piano now when I can get all of them (plus whatever other IKM products have been released) for a $200 upgrade charge in 6-12 months.
Will it be added to Total Studio Max?

I see subs finally made their way IK. Not unexpected.

As long as perpetual licenses remain an option I'm good.

Sounds great... please consider allowing for custom installs. Deleting plugins after the installation is a PITA.

I clicked out of curiosity but am not interested in buying/using because its developed by IKM.

VitaminD wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:17 pm
I clicked out of curiosity but am not interested in buying/using because its developed by IKM.
Fair dos, I did also forget how much animosity people have here to every developer that employs more than 3 people.

Think this sounds terrific, though I'll confess I'm no ultimate piano connoisseur. I personally don't need it as I have a ton of pianos I like, but I wish it well.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:11 pm
bob_gray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:05 pm I'm interested. The demos sound really good. One question for any owners or IK representatives — how much control do you get over the velocity curve? If this is designed to be played in realtime as opposed to just being a sample library, which it looks like it is, this is a critical feature for me. One of the big appeals of Pianoteq is the "calibration assistant", which walks you through the process of creating a custom reponse curve for your hardware.

I have quite a nice digital piano which sounds great when playing its own samples, but for external instruments it struggles to produce MIDI velocities over about 110. I really need the ability to modify the curve to my exact requirements. I know there are plugins out there that can do this, even some built into various DAWs, but I'd much prefer to have it built in.
What controller are you using? I know that we have plans to add curves for common controllers but I can dig deeper to find out whether yours might be on that list but also if not and/or in the mean time if you wanted to drop me a more detailed PM about what your specific needs are I can see what can be done currently and what might be updated in the future.
Earlier I mentioned that IK needs to make a 3-pedal USB controller that supports continuous control for all 3 pedals over assignable CC to use with Pianoverse. I do not believe any such device currently exists.

But it is possible that I have overlooked something, so I should ask...

Are there any soft/sostenuto/damper 3-pedal MIDI CC controllers that let you take full advantage of Pianoverse's continuous pedal control for half- and catch-pedaling for all 3 pedals that IK can recommend for Pianoverse?

Peter, could you name some specific products that unlock Pianoverse's full pedaling potential, perhaps any that were tested during development?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

enCiphered wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 am
Yes. It's like receiving a gift with a "batteries not included" label.
[/quote]KInda, but I'd say it's more like this:

You receive a gift which is a letter that says to get the actual gift you have to send away for it by filling out this lengthy form and sign up for their newsletter AND join their club AND provide a written note of acceptance from your nearest relative along with four proof-of-purchases boxtops from a previous product.

Then you get it and it's in a locked box and you have to send away for the key, and......

It's nothing like that. Free stuff is always welcome here.

progtronic wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:52 pm I was really hoping this was gonna be a virtual modelled, MODO Piano sorta thing... :dog:
Yeah, I agree. I'm no longer interested in sampled pianos. There are plenty of good libraries already available.

In the wake of Modartt's Pianoteq, the onus is upon other developers to match or surpass them in physical modelled instruments.

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm

Earlier I mentioned that IK needs to make a 3-pedal USB controller that supports continuous control for all 3 pedals over assignable CC to use with Pianoverse. I do not believe any such device currently exists.

Are there any soft/sostenuto/damper 3-pedal MIDI CC controllers that let you take full advantage of Pianoverse's continuous pedal control for half- and catch-pedaling for all 3 pedals that IK can recommend for Pianoverse?

Peter, could you name some specific products that unlock Pianoverse's full pedaling potential, perhaps any that were tested during development?
My Kawai VPC1 came with such a pedal. That fantastic keyboard together with VI labs Ravenscroft is the piano dream team.

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:45 am Pianoverse has half-pedaling and everything in between.

So IK needs to make a 3-pedal USB device that sends continuous controller data. Most sustain pedals only send on/off.

Surprisingly no one makes a 3-pedal USB device with assignable CC# that sends continuous controller data from all 3 pedals. So it should be a no-brainer for IK to do.
Here's how I modified mine, and it does the trick.

https://www.hackster.io/costis/usb-stan ... ack-e626b6

rasmusklump wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:23 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm

My Kawai VPC1 came with such a pedal. That fantastic keyboard together with VI labs Ravenscroft is the piano dream team.
Yeah, my kawai MP11SE does too. Works well with Pianoteq.
Keep hearing good things about VI’s raven Croft but never tried it.
Regarding IK’s thing, am curious about the fazioli and the bosie. The later demos are too drowned in effects.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

So you either need to buy a $3000 MIDI controller for the pedal, or MacGyver your own USB pedal?

Seems like a huge opening in the market for a music accessories company.

I wonder if IK is paying attention.

Costis wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:45 am Pianoverse has half-pedaling and everything in between.

So IK needs to make a 3-pedal USB device that sends continuous controller data. Most sustain pedals only send on/off.

Surprisingly no one makes a 3-pedal USB device with assignable CC# that sends continuous controller data from all 3 pedals. So it should be a no-brainer for IK to do.
Here's how I modified mine, and it does the trick.

https://www.hackster.io/costis/usb-stan ... ack-e626b6
This is giving me some ideas about gutting the PCB from my StealthPedal and replacing it with an Arduino board, probably the Uno REV 3. It looks like I could use the StealthPedal's existing potentiometer and just connect it to the Arduino and be good to go. Then I could hardcode the CC# in the pedal and use it as a standard USB device without the stupid abandonware MIDI Control app that the StealthPedal is dependent on to work, which hasn't worked on Mac OS for years.

https://docs.arduino.cc/learn/electroni ... ter-basics

You know, come to think of it, maybe it's best if IK doesn't make a 3-pedal USB sustain pedal, and leave that up to a company that is competent enough to make a standard USB device that doesn't require proprietary software/drivers to work, which they then abandon, screwing over everyone who bought one.

Return to “Instruments”