A short scale easy to play bass guitar for a guitarist, any suggestions?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've already ordered the Squire Bass VI, and now I'm looking for a four string, or no more than five, more fit for playing using my fingers as well. Something in then range of $500-$600. I've had very good experience with Squire guitars, and have had a look at their bass guitars as well, I'm open to suggestions though
Last edited by YnJ on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hmmm. I have a Höfner Beatle bass. Very light and easy to play. Won't break the bank. I don't know if Sire Marcus Millers do shortscale or not, but worth a look. Thomann just did a YT shootout of shortscales.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I thought the "VI" in Bass VI meant 6 strings? Common knowledge, not?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm happy with my Fender Mustang

BertKoor wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:42 pm I thought the "VI" in Bass VI meant 6 strings? Common knowledge, not?
It's got less distance between the strings than some guitars I have, fine when using a pick, not so practical when using my not so petite fingers. Pretty useless answer, thanks for your input though

Bombadil wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:05 pm Thomann just did a YT shootout of shortscales.
I searched that out on YT, very useful! Thanks!
Last edited by YnJ on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skipscada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:21 pm I'm happy with my Fender Mustang
That's one I'm considering, from Squire though

Bombadil wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:05 pm Thomann just did a YT shootout of shortscales.
That tiny Goldtone ME looks like loads of fun. She seemed to be enjoying playing it too.

skipscada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:21 pm I'm happy with my Fender Mustang
Lifelong bassist here (but not a guitarist) and that was going to be my recommendation. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

It seems any jazz bass would work for you, but what are you going for sonically?

There's electric U-Basses, ukelele basses which are 4 string standard tuning basses with rubber strings. They're small but only have a piezo pickup and the sound isn't like a regular bass guitar.

I had one and its really funky! Totally way easier to play than a regular bass, but the sound is not the same.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

VENMusica wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:06 pm It seems any jazz bass would work for you, but what are you going for sonically?
That's a good question I'm not sure how to answer. I'm mostly into metal and like a sound which is clearly audible in the mix. I managed to get my Jaguar guitar to sound like a metal guitar with a channel strip plug-in, so I'm hoping to dial in what I want with plug-ins

I'm well equipped with guitars more suitable for metal than my Jaguar, it was just something I did to experiment, just in case anyone is wondering :party:
Last edited by YnJ on Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Personally, I rock a Fender Precision Bass, which is not short scale at all, but is versatile. Those low notes are wonderful for what I do. I have used it in metal recordings, but I guess it isn't the best if you want to go flying across the frets

I have to admit I'm most tempted to get either a Jazz Bass or a Precision Bass, I'm going to have a good look at the video mentioned earlier first though

YnJ wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:20 pm
VENMusica wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:06 pm It seems any jazz bass would work for you, but what are you going for sonically?
That's a good question I'm not sure how to answer. I'm mostly into metal and like a sound which is clearly audible in the mix. I managed to get my Jaguar guitar to sound like a metal guitar with a channel strip plug-in, so I'm hoping to dial in what I want with plug-ins

I'm well equipped with guitars more suitable for metal than my Jaguar, it was just something I did to experiment, just in case anyone is wondering :party:
If it's metal you're into, you might like the short scale Sterling Stingrays:
https://sterlingbymusicman.com/products ... hort-scale

Return to “Guitars”