Is it ok to make lots of stuff?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I started making music a year ago and Ive just completely fallen in love. I had a guitar setup for a couple years that eventually ended up in a pawn shop and that was my entire exposure to music. I've made 60+ tracks, 4 hours or so of "music" which ive mixed and distributed. It's not great and could use a metronome but a metronome f**ks me up. Is it a joke or insulting to musicians for someone to just come along and do a brain dump as they learn. The only thing that plays me is Pandora and then I don't even know why. I think if I stopped and tried to make the best music I would be dead before I learned how to read music but maybe I'm making too much bad stuff. Just curious if other people just send it or are really reserved with what they actually share? I typically go like 16 hours from jamming to mixed some form of video and uploaded everywhere.

If you think or even are sure that your way of doing things is right just do it.

It's feedback what is important. And absence of feedback too.

lobanov wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:25 am If you think or even are sure that your way of doing things is right just do it.

It's probably the absence of feedback that is the most daunting. I don't really know what other people enjoy unless they like it or whatever or the algo is search of anything new. I can make a lot of what I'm making because it is more feel this place and thing not lyrics. You bring your own story. I'm not a musician so I'll never be able to perform or do any of that. I guess my big question is if you make 100 of something and it's perceived as mediocore will the thing that hits tie it all together or be lost in the pile?
Last edited by Gavincoolguy on Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Gavincoolguy on Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guess I'm bad at le ancient forum as well lol

Give us a link to some of your music, I'll give you some feedback, sonny.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:46 am
lobanov wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:25 am If you think or even are sure that your way of doing things is right just do it.

It's probably the absence of feedback that is the most daunting. I don't really know what other people enjoy unless they like it or whatever or the algo is search of anything new. I can make a lot of what I'm making because it is more feel this place and thing not lyrics. You bring your own story. I'm not a musician so I'll never be able to perform or do any of that. I guess my big question is if you make 100 of something and it's perceived as mediocore will the thing that hits tie it all together or be lost in the pile?
Thing that hits hits. We know many musicians because of their single song (or whatever). Does it mean they have created this song only? No.

But all we do will be lost in the pile. Sooner or later.

Are you taking medicine when you stay awake for 16 hours at a time?

Don't mind me, I have made about 4 minutes of music is the last 16 years.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

lobanov wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:23 am
Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:46 am

Thing that hits hits. We know many musicians because of their single song (or whatever). Does it mean they have created this song only? No.

But all we do will be lost in the pile. Sooner or later.

True. I do agree 99.9 of everything will be lost to time. I guess it's I'm not gonna be the one that decides if any of it matters anyways.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:15 am Give us a link to some of your music, I'll give you some feedback, sonny.
I'll message you im a shy dude.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:26 am Are you taking medicine when you stay awake for 16 hours at a time?

Don't mind me, I have made about 4 minutes of music is the last 16 years.
No absolutely not but that may or may not be against the physicians advice.

deadmau5 started out making a track a day
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 am deadmau5 started out making a track a day
That's really interesting I'll have to see if I can track some of his stuff down when he was working at that pace and maybe I will be able to hear what he was working towards.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:49 amI'll message you im a shy dude.
Not too shy, you've put a metric shit-ton of stuff up on YouTube.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 am deadmau5 started out making a track a day
That's really interesting I'll have to see if I can track some of his stuff down when he was working at that pace and maybe I will be able to hear what he was working towards.
https://soundcloud.com/kujsp/deadmau5-c ... %201995%5D
He had a clear vision and made decisions really fast, going through kick samples like flipping cards until he found the right one, etc. There is a lot to be said for working fast enough to keep an idea alive.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”