I'm sorry - True Peak LAST case! Videoexample and Picture -0.1 TP vs -1TP = lifeless?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sorry to post another one, i guess maybe i shouldnt care too much cause this is also not much fun and with all the spotify and stuff it seems to be not as dramatic as it theoretically is described?
just dont want to make a stupid mistake i could have left out.

i always export and set my limiter to -0.1 True Peak (i might set it to -0.3 TP in future cause it seems -0.1 TP can still give problems when converting to MP3 etc.) with a max of around -3 dB Gain Reduction and if i dont hear by ear any distortions im ok. thing is then i wanted to upload something for Spotify and learned about LUFS and TP much more, LUFS are no problems, cause i master mostly louder like -9 LUFS to -10 LUFS and spotify and dial it down to -14 LUFS so i dont dial it differently. but what i wanted to do is export ALL the tracks again with -1 TP.

1st problem, as i use in some projects granular stuff and random functions the tracks sound not 100% the same, so i would theoretically need to export a track which has granular/random stuff about 5 times to get an identical/near identical version.... tedious

2nd problem, i exported a few tracks where i dont have the above issue and set to -1 TP and not only they sound quieter (of course!) but more lifeless! cause you also see the WAVEform is a bit different on some spots (compressed) which is also strange then having a bandcamp -0.1 TP version with more impact and fuller sound and a spotify version -1 TP which is less fuller.... maybe no one cares but me :D

i made a video
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1idgtuou ... 670tdsz6wh

and here is an example of the waveform bit (top -0.1 TP and bottom -1 TP)

so im actually thinking of just using Gain for Spotify and turn the dB down with a Gain function in Audacity.

hopefully i can close this case with your help!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

If your granular/random tracks are different for each "master" export then I'd definitely rather make one master in your personal preferred method and use gain in audacity or whichever DAW to meet the LUFS requirements of the various streaming platforms. Much simpler workflow. :tu:
Or you could use Youlean Loudness Meter for your final LUFS management. But definitely just export one master of your track to work with. You don't need those extra headaches dude :)

xalama qo wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:03 pm If your granular/random tracks are different for each "master" export then I'd definitely rather make one master in your personal preferred method and use gain in audacity or whichever DAW to meet the LUFS requirements of the various streaming platforms. Much simpler workflow. :tu:
Or you could use Youlean Loudness Meter for your final LUFS management. But definitely just export one master of your track to work with. You don't need those extra headaches dude :)
thx so much! :)
but! LUFS are no probs, my main concern are the TP :D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yup, sorry, I got a bit muddled there. My response was aimed at your ending comment of just using Gain to lower your TP for Spotify from your preferred -0.1db TP Bandcamp master which you said had more life.
I don't use audacity, but a lot of DAWs have a normalize to "target db" function. That would be another way to be very accurate with your final TP levels. Hope this helps!

Return to “Production Techniques”