My Tritone Layout (+6 Offset) Resources

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a thread containing resources I have created for the LinnStrument's tritone layout (+6 offset). Currently, I have four documents for public release:
  1. Chord Diagrams - Four Fingers
  2. Chord Diagrams Quick Reference - Four Fingers
  3. Finger Diagrams
  4. Fretboard Diagram (7-35)
I used LibreOffice and the ChordDiagrams extension by Kai Struck. Unless otherwise noted, all resources created and provided by me are released under the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license.

Special thanks to Miles Parker for their ongoing contributions and development of the tritone layout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Will look into it, thanks!

One suggestion: Could you also put in the PDF export of the documents? Not everyone might have Libre Office installed and if you only want to view it, PDF is the most widely portable and supported format.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

I have already seriously considered this prior to its release. Due to the license, I needed to ensure that editing the document is accessible without resorting to installing/purchasing proprietary software and/or agreeing to a EULA. The OpenDocument Text (.odt) file format remains the best option, as you can easily convert it to other file formats, including PDF, if so desired.

I realized that in the document "LinnStrument Chord Diagrams - Tritone Layout (+6 Offset) Four Fingers" there are far more chords than in the document "LinnStrument Tritone Layout Quick Reference". Is that by purpose? My idea behind a "Quick Reference" would be to have all the chords on as less sheets of paper as possible without any additional text. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, the Chord Diagrams document lists every possible chord shape that I and Miles Parker were able to feasibly test without experiencing discomfort, while the Chord Diagrams Quick Reference document filters through that entire list and selects one chord shape out of all of them to represent each chord. One is purely for documentation purposes, and the other is designed as a basic foundation to start playing chords quickly without thinking about each chord variation. Legal vs. TL;DR.

You are free to edit either or both documents to fit your needs. I have more documents to write up and refine, as I seriously want to develop the tritone layout, so you will need to accommodate your preferences for the time being.

Thank you for your explanation.

Here's a version of Frank's doc in pdf for the open source challenged. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I checked out the PDF. The letter names for the fingers seems odd? Why not number the fingers - this is pretty common for piano, guitar, and bowed instruments, no? Seems likely unnecessary novelty?

The brevity around chord naming seems a bit gratuitous? Is M for Major 7th that common? Is it that much harder to write maj7? I got confused looking for a basic major triad. Perhaps I should have read the prior text first, but I was assuming the document would use existing common conventions.

Perhaps the document is meant to be more like guitar chord chart, but it would be nice to start with the basic triads and their inversions.

Feel free to edit and modify the documents in my release to suit your needs. My system of notation is what works for me, but yours may be different.

The documents are for four fingers, so you will frequently encounter tetrads. There are no documents for three fingers at the moment.

I will add a document, which I made to learn the shapes of different scales for the tritone layout...
Scales for LinnStrument.png
Scales for LinnStrument.zip

Pretty cool. I am currently writing a document for the diatonic scale, but I do not have diagrams planned for each of its seven modes. I am a little surprised the Locrian mode was omitted in your document.

I just transfered scales I got in a workshop about improvisation. There might be others missing, I am happy to enhance it…

I have final drafts regarding the tritone layout for a Finger Diagrams document as well as a Fretboard Diagram - Diatonic Scale (7-35) document. I have notified Miles Parker about reviewing them, but I am also open to others who are interested in doing the same task. If you want to review them as well, please PM me.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:32 pm I will add a document, which I made to learn the shapes of different scales for the tritone layout...
Awesome, and also of course you can do it with just two rows, heh, but the symmetry is nice.

You could also do it with half the horizontal size, but you would have to wrap it in your brain around…; - )

Return to “Roger Linn Design”