Feature Requests: Strum Mode enhancements

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for making these great instruments, they do so much already that it is easy to assume you can anything with them so when you run into the limitations it is a bit of a shock. Until now I have been working within the limitations and finding creative solutions to get what I want however I am finding that I need to create multiple instances of a single instrument to work around some of these and it is creating a bit of a track management problem. Perhaps some of these enhancement requests are doable, they would certainly help me and maybe other users as well.

1) more than 6 strum pattern slots, or ways to modify an existing pattern's parameters via midi CC's. I find I am needing to create several versions of the same strum pattern with only minor differences...which quickly consumes the available slots. If this already exists I would love to hear how to do it.

2) Strum pattern volume envelope, this could be solved via request #1 however #1 is not doable then this would help a great deal. I know the strum volume can be set when the pattern is created however it would be nice to be able to emphasize or de-emphasize the up/down strokes via midi CC to give variety to the pattern and be able to change the groove without changing the underlying pattern. The simplest example would be a crescendo. I know I can increase the track volume but that is not the same as strumming harder (at least the instrument responds differently)

3) Chord mode change via midi CC - (related to the strum pattern but not directly) I use midi extensively to tweak how a part sounds and these instrument already offer a huge variety of control however it would be nice to be able to switch chord mode on and off. I know I can use the strum keys instead of a strum pattern however the results are better using a chord mode with the strum patterns so it would be nice to be able to switch between styles (picking and strumming) on a single track.

It is quite possible that any or all of this is already possible and I have just not found out how to do it, in which case please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for creating these wonderful instruments!

While watching a strum mode video I heard that the chord mode could be changed using key switches (disabled by default). So request #3 is redundant....thanks!

FaceTheSun wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm 1) more than 6 strum pattern slots, or ways to modify an existing pattern's parameters via midi CC's. I find I am needing to create several versions of the same strum pattern with only minor differences...which quickly consumes the available slots. If this already exists I would love to hear how to do it.
Absolutely. I think not only having more than 6 pattern slots would be useful, but also longer patterns in general. That way you could have a pattern that encompasses an entire 8 bar phrase, for example. Originally having only 6 strum pattern slots had to do with an array size limit in Kontakt which has since been increased, so that shouldn't be any problem to improve.
FaceTheSun wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:02 pm 2) Strum pattern volume envelope, this could be solved via request #1 however #1 is not doable then this would help a great deal. I know the strum volume can be set when the pattern is created however it would be nice to be able to emphasize or de-emphasize the up/down strokes via midi CC to give variety to the pattern and be able to change the groove without changing the underlying pattern. The simplest example would be a crescendo. I know I can increase the track volume but that is not the same as strumming harder (at least the instrument responds differently)
Great idea--that way you could bring the dynamic of the strumming pattern up or down while the pattern is playing. Another change that would be helpful when paired with this is being able to have a strumming pattern automatically trigger when you hold down a chord. That way if you're playing the strumming pattern from a MIDI keyboard, you can hold down the chord in one hand, and in the other ride the mod wheel or other MIDI CC to control the dynamics in real-time.

Thanks for the feedback!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks for the response! Looking forward to the engine update....hopefully some of these were already in the works. :D

I have another request, which I will post separately.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”