Impulse Response recording (easy)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello, I really like the sound of IR reverbs and I used them a lot in my pos-production process and even in my sound design projects. I don't know if many people are making IR recordings by them self but I do a lot. If I come across a really interesting space with unique reverb then I always try to capture it. For capturing I used a zoom recorder, small speaker, and phone for the playback of the IR signals. But it was somewhat annoying to carry that many things just to make one simple recording and I couldn't find a simple IR recording app that would let me simultaneously record and play a sine sweep or any other audio. So I made a really simple app that let you do that. I use it with a BlueTooth speaker and I get very good results with it! If you are interested here it is :D :

https://apps.apple.com/sk/app/ir-recorder/id1640062304 (https://apps.apple.com/sk/app/ir-recorder/id1640062304)

I am open to any suggestions. I will be releasing a new version in about a month with more IR types and other tools within the app (like dB meter, etc.). I would like to add more tools and functions to the app so if you'll think of anything just let me know. :)

Just for clarity that the useability of the app is not in precise acoustical measurements or acoustical research but rather to simplify the process of making an efficient IR useable in creative ways.

Thank you.

Maybe some more infos or videos or few examples of IRs made with the app would help. :)

How does this work with a bluetooth speaker? Wouldn’t the latency of bluetooth destroy the result? Is there a setting or measurement of the latency?
The biggest part of such a recording is the speaker anyway to get the low end…

There's always going to be some latency in the real world simply because of the speed of sound through the air, so a latency correction would need to be applied regardless, right? The frequency responses (and nonlinearities) of the speaker and the mic used to record the impulse are going to be the main thing.

I'd try it out, if I had an iPhone. Any plans for an Android version?

cthonophonic wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:09 pm There's always going to be some latency in the real world simply because of the speed of sound through the air, so a latency correction would need to be applied regardless, right?
If you record an impulse response, you want to get all what is caused by the speed of sound. The latency is added on top, its like an additional delay. In case of bluetooth this could be up to 500 ms, which would normally put you out of the room itself… The latency of an audio interface is some ms, which don’t put you out of the room, and you know it usually more precise than with bluetooth…
You might be able to adjust that after the recording. If you know the distance from the speaker to the microphone, you can calculate the expected delay from the speed of sound, and shorten it accordingly…
You could also do that inside the app, by telling it what the distance is, and send an impulse to measure the latency…

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:48 pm
cthonophonic wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:09 pm There's always going to be some latency in the real world simply because of the speed of sound through the air, so a latency correction would need to be applied regardless, right?
If you record an impulse response, you want to get all what is caused by the speed of sound. The latency is added on top, its like an additional delay. In case of bluetooth this could be up to 500 ms, which would normally put you out of the room itself… The latency of an audio interface is some ms, which don’t put you out of the room, and you know it usually more precise than with bluetooth…
You might be able to adjust that after the recording. If you know the distance from the speaker to the microphone, you can calculate the expected delay from the speed of sound, and shorten it accordingly…
You could also do that inside the app, by telling it what the distance is, and send an impulse to measure the latency…
Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”