Toggle Launch/Stop clips in Session mode

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all. I have a Launchpad X (wish I'd got the Pro now but so be it) which I'm using with the Moss script. its all pretty good. My issue is, I only want the launchpad for controlling clips in a live scenario, I'm not interested in drum editing, note editing etc. Moss is 90% there for me, I like the 8x8 page view and scene/clip launch. The thing that no script I've found seems to do is to allow the buttons to toggle launch/stop a clip. Every implementation seems to want to have a row of buttons set to stop all clips on the track. (Moss does this, Novation's own implementation for Ableton does it the same). Using Moss I've ended up dividing my sessions in 8x8 blocks where the last scene is empty to give me a 'Stop' option so I don't have to shift into other modes, but I'd rather have another row of clips to use. It seems such an obvious way to do things I'm surprised no one seems to have done it that way, which makes me wonder if there's something about the API that prohibits it. I'm at the point where I'm thinking, if I want something a particular way I'm going to have to do it myself unless someone can point me in the right direction first

I just jumped over to Bigwig this week from Ableton. I know in Live you can set a clip property to "Toggle", which means if you click it with a mouse, or a controller pad, it starts running, and if you then click it a second time, it stops. I think this is close to what you are describing (if you turn quantize off, or something like 1/32). I've been trying how to do this in Bitwig, but I get a bad feeling that this has not been implemented.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, MOTU M2, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

I was wondering the same…
In a script it should be possible. You need to monitor the clip. If its running, stop it, if its not running start it… Maybe request it for the Moss script or modify it…

I had to do a bit of a think to understand your post, but I think i'm there (I'm currently not using my LpX).
Going through the API Doc:
What i think is prohibiting devs from doing it like you say (cause that would make the most sense), is that while you can monitor the play state of the clips, this functionality is detached from the Hardware API. That may pose a problem cause the hardware API works on a different level - more integrated in bitwig, so more realtime - than the remote script.

I think it may work to set up the clip play-state monitoring and then when the state of a clip changes, to also change the hardware binding of the specific clip button. Hardware binding should be available outside of script initialization.

So... I think that, yeah, this might very well be possible and I agree that this is sensible functionality. I think there's a case to be made for the clip simply retriggering, so i think a mode would be the way to go.

I'm resurrecting this thread because of Bitwig v. 5.0 and it's new clip launching features. They've done a lot to add new behaviors to clip launching, but after exploring this, I haven't been able to figure out how to do what was requested in the first place. Basically set something so that when you launch a clip, either by pressing mouse or by controller, that it starts, and when you press it again, it stops.

I can't find updated documentation, so I don't know if it now possible, or that it is still not a feature.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, MOTU M2, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

Return to “Controller Scripting”