Experiences with Micromonsta 2?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm considering getting Audiothingies Micromonsta 2.

I've been reading that this synth has great implementation of MPE.

In my use-case I'm recording MPE midi from Linnstrument to Ableton Live 11.1(currently) and output that recorded midi to synth. Does Micromonsta 2 have any bugs with this type of use? Hydrasynth does not work overly too well in this setup.

Thank you,

The MM2 is a great synth, the MPE is very good. I would recommend it 10/10.

One thing is though that the Hydrasynth has some little bugs around MPE but really should work fine with Ableton. What problems are you seeing.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:42 pm The MM2 is a great synth, the MPE is very good. I would recommend it 10/10.

One thing is though that the Hydrasynth has some little bugs around MPE but really should work fine with Ableton. What problems are you seeing.
Thanks for reply,

Good to hear about the Micromonsta 2.

With Hydrasynth:
On polyphonic patches I'm getting that thing when 2 of the same notes are pressed and held, then when the other note is released, it sends note off to both.

Random fast glides when ever I have done polyphonic pitch bends. It sort of resets the pitch bend for a channel, then it works again, until I do pitch bends again. This is most noticable on played notes which I dont bend anywhere.

I had forgot about the same note bug! The PB smoothing is also annoying which is what is giving you that fast glide from the previous notes PB on that channel.

The MM doesn’t have any of the bugs the HS has but it might have the PB smoothing, I will do a test...

My only gripe, which is possible to workaround using a couple of mod slots, is that you can't route aftertouch to sustain/level. No biggie.

Mine is for sale elsewhere; if you are UK based pm me.

t-IB wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:48 am My only gripe, which is possible to workaround using a couple of mod slots, is that you can't route aftertouch to sustain/level. No biggie.

Mine is for sale elsewhere; if you are UK based pm me.
Hey!

Damn,

I'd need to pay pretty big customs and + extra vat, but I'm in the waiting list for the synth :)

How do you need to workaround to get volume increase?

BobDog wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:20 am I had forgot about the same note bug! The PB smoothing is also annoying which is what is giving you that fast glide from the previous notes PB on that channel.

The MM doesn’t have any of the bugs the HS has but it might have the PB smoothing, I will do a test...
Good to hear!

Okey good to know about the PB smoothing! Let me know if the results then :)

Sorry forgot again, will try to try tomorrow...

Anyway everyone should buy this synth, it is a gem.

Love mine, but I connect the Linnstrument directly.

Kalee wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:49 am
BobDog wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:20 am I had forgot about the same note bug! The PB smoothing is also annoying which is what is giving you that fast glide from the previous notes PB on that channel.

Good to hear!

Ok, got round to it in the end.

I did the following test:

1. Put LS in ch per row
2. Set up init patch on MM with long release.
3. On a single row of the LL so we use the same channel on the MM, slid a note up, then waited for env to finish, play new lower note, no PB slide.
4. On a single row of the LL so we use the same channel on the MM, slid a note up, then in release stage, play new lower note, no PB slide.

So it works absolutely perfectly.

BobDog wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:05 am
Kalee wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:49 am

Good to hear!

Ok, got round to it in the end.

I did the following test:

1. Put LS in ch per row
2. Set up init patch on MM with long release.
3. On a single row of the LL so we use the same channel on the MM, slid a note up, then waited for env to finish, play new lower note, no PB slide.
4. On a single row of the LL so we use the same channel on the MM, slid a note up, then in release stage, play new lower note, no PB slide.

So it works absolutely perfectly.
Thank you!

Wow yeehaa! Especially step 4 of your testing is even surprising, seeing how devices can be buggy with MPE!

Did you play Linnstrument directly to MM2 or through something? As far as I know, Ableton Live does not smooth midi, so everything should be perfect :)

Was testing directly, Ableton would have messed the test up due to their madness of changing MPE channels rather than leaving good alone.

Grrhhhh.

Alright,

I got the MM2 now:
Works beautifully with Linnstrument midi routed through Ableton Live + midi clock works well.

But as soon as I playback recorded midi the problems start, and failed to debug the issue so far. Maybe a bit more modern laptop could help.

jsterne wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 pm Love mine, but I connect the Linnstrument directly.
I'm thinking about a Micromonsta 2.

I am assuming you have to connect the LinnStrument through the MIDI IN port though, right? Micromonsta 2 only has USB-B so I assume it doesn't work in Host mode. And you need external power for the LinnStrument?

waraukaeru wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:10 am I'm thinking about a Micromonsta 2.

I am assuming you have to connect the LinnStrument through the MIDI IN port though, right? Micromonsta 2 only has USB-B so I assume it doesn't work in Host mode. And you need external power for the LinnStrument?
No, you use the LinnStrument's MIDI OUT port to connect to the MicroMonsta 2's MIDI TRS Type-A port. The MicroMonsta 2's USB-B port is only for external power. The LinnStrument also needs external power either by using the USB-B port on both models, or by using the DC barrel jack on the 200.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”