Best interface / Signal chain for recording good DI guitars?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

few years ago I bought an Audient EVO4. It has a 1Meg Ohms impendence input and a JFET DI instrument input

I noticed my guitar DI sounded much better than my old interface, upon looking up my old interface it had no such JFET in it, and a much lower impendence input (I think it was 250k, but might of been 500k)

I'm wondering if I upgrade to one of the newer interfaces specifically made for recording guitar (Audient Sono, IK Multimedia AXE, or even the UA VOLT for its preamp/1176, not sure about the volt)

Would I notice my sound improve even further? I don't even have a guitar right now, but I'm getting a new one soon. Would replacing the POTs with 500k or 1meg make the DI sound better, or better pickups?

I heard you should try to match your DI with professional DI's, and then ampsims will sound really good. I downloaded some professional DI's before and my DI still sounds a bit off compared to theirs.

Would a DI BOX help more? Or a BOOST / Tubescreamer pedal before the DI?

Anybody have any advice on this?

TL;DR version: what you've got is probably plenty good for your needs. You can spend lots more money to get slightly better results, but how much do you want to spend? "Pro" guitar recording basically consists of cutting all the bass and boosting the treble these days anyway. :hihi:

Longer version. Higher input impedance is generally a good thing. JFETs, MOSFETs, and op amps generally have very high input impedance -- this loads the signal down less, which kinda sorta basically means you have more higher frequencies present. Your previous box probably had a BJT set up as an emitter follower, which is still plenty high input impedance (around the 250k-500k you mention). I'm 99% sure that the difference between your two interfaces lies in one being better designed -- there are a LOT of places where things can be sub-optimal, such as the quality of the converters (how precise they are, how accurate they are -- not the same thing! -- how stable they are, and so forth) or how the filters are designed.

A DI box just lowers the output impedance, giving you much the same effect as an interface with a higher input impedance. You don't need both. A DI box is simply a transformer with a high input impedance and a low output impedance. Totally passive. If it has a JFET or any active component, it's technically a buffer -- an amplifier that doesn't really amplify, but changes impedance. Confusingly, some marketroids call such devices "active DI boxes." Even worse, some also call an audio interface designed for guitar a DI box.

I've only heard marketing people and their followers say that devices specifically for guitar make a huge difference. But hey, if there's a reasonable return policy, I'd say go for it -- I could be wrong, and you only have time to lose. It's not like you should be practicing guitar to sound better on guitar, right? :hihi:

If your guitar sounds dark, higher value volume pots, or tone pots, or tone capacitors, etc. can help. So can modding your pickups, or switching them out entirely. But if your guitar sounds fine, don't bother -- it's a very time-consuming (albeit glorious!) hobby, an excellent way to put off actually practicing guitar.

"If you can't hear it, you don't need it." -- Kim LaJoie
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

IK's AXE I/O makes a dramatic difference. But not in sound quality, in the control you have. Check its controls for guitar input, you can enable or disable JFET, you have a mode for active pickups, you can change input impedance between 1 MOhms and 2.2 kOhms.

These really make a difference. But they don't improve sound quality compared to a similarly spec'd interface, but they offer possibilities to have different sounds. Its sound quality is particularly good compared to entry level interfaces like EVO or Scarlett, but it is not a top end interface like an Apogee Symphony. Mid-range, I would say. But if you are into hi-gain, you will feel the benefits it offers with its noiseless input.

So, if you have the money, it will be an improvement you will easily notice, at least compared to an entry level interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlXa4JON-2U

This video is good example on how different guitars sound through different interfaces. It's really surprising really...

Does DI go through the A/D converters of the interface? I was thinking of getting AXE I/O but I didn't see a Digital Out, I have a separate box for A/D / D/A conversion, AXE IO seems like it would of been perfect if they had just included that...

I got one of those Radial boxes with “tube amp input stage emulation” (JFET, I assume) and my tone is significantly better. I made thorough comparisons.

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I doubt if any of those other options will give a better option than the Audient JFET input. If you really want to get closer to the vibe of a lower-impedance input just darken with EQ - or the tone knob.

imrae wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:53 pm I doubt if any of those other options will give a better option than the Audient JFET input. If you really want to get closer to the vibe of a lower-impedance input just darken with EQ - or the tone knob.
A DI box with a JFET will work the same, even with a low-impedance input. That’s why you can have only one pedal with a buffer in your pedalboard and it will still be a high-impedance signal.

Right, you don't need a fancy Audient interface for this. But if you do have one, you're already sorted :D

Avalon U5, total awesomeness.

I have the motu m2 and it's pretty damn great for guitars from my experience

Tonio_ wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 pm I have the motu m2 and it's pretty damn great for guitars from my experience
It’s ability to kill RFI/EMI noise from single pole pickups is a big plus.
On a number of Macs

I use a cheap Focusrite solo as my other interface is in storage (tascam 16x08) until we move, they are both adequate but I think I might buy the IK interface eventually as I love shiney things.
I play guitar

[quote=Weasel-Boy post_id=8427690 time=1652420953 user_id=24982]
[quote=Tonio_ post_id=8427307 time=1652376140 user_id=560108]
I have the motu m2 and it's pretty damn great for guitars from my experience
[/quote]It’s ability to kill RFI/EMI noise from single pole pickups is a big plus.
[/quote]

how does the Motu M2 allow to kill RFI/EMI noise?
I do not see any switch or setting for that.
http://sentire.me

_.|| _. _ _
\/\/(_|||(_|(_ (/_

Ive been dealing with this subject for about 3 years now:

Began with a Focusrite 2i2 gen1 interface, Cubase, Guitar Rig 5. Single fender strat, directly into the hi-z input on the 2i2. This sounded ok, but then we added a second, 3rd, 4th guitar, synths, etc.

So we bought the 8i6 gen3 interface, which has 2 hi-z inputs. At that time, I learned that the other line-level inputs were not also hi-z (did not have the JFET) and so we could not add any other guitars. The 2 hi-z ins are also the only 2 with analog gain, so then we had quiet + heavily processed synths and found ourselves wanting a better solution, once again.

So we went down the mixing board route, and tried out an allen & heath ZEDi10 but hit a dead-end with digital channels. (it didnt have enough digital ins/outs to route all the instruments back into my DAW for recording and production).

Soooo 2 months ago, we scrapped the entire idea of mixing boards and bought the bigger focusrite 18i20 interface. We then used S/PDIF to stack the 8i6 with the 18i20, immediately giving us 4 hi-z ins. We also bought an On-Stage DB200 DI box for any additional guitars or basses that need inputs.

As far as EMI/RFI noise and ground loops, I do have these systems all powered by an Audioquest power filter, and I know how to "push" a ground loop into another channel when I need to, lol. I do occasionally get a little unwanted noise through the ins, but Im able to manage that with a little cable swapping, input toggling, and channel strips like the SSL guitar strip, which softens and stages things a bit.Things sound good over here at this point, and we are using Guitar Rig 7's new looper to do some fun stuff.

Return to “Guitars”