Preset switching

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings everyone. I'm trying to use the Linnstrument to switch presets in AUM. It works, except that every number you gloss over sends a program change. So for instance, if I want to switch from preset 1 to preset 4, I have to send PCs for 2 and 3 inbetween. AUM is too slow (because it's loading files) and gets confused. Is there a way to select the PC number and then send it? Or does selecting always automatically send?

I'm looking for an option like "search mode" which the Tech21 MIDI Mouse offers.
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.38.25 AM.png
The Linnstrument manual says:

"The current Preset (program change) number is displayed in large digits. The range is 1 to 128, corresponding to MIDI Program Change numbers 0 to 127. To change the selected preset, slide your finger left or right. Or press the green Increment or red Decrement buttons in the upper left corner. As the number changes, MIDI Program Change messages will be sent."

This seems to be the same for both toggle and momentary mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's a good idea. In LinnStrument, we could change the operation of the Preset screen so that sliding your finger left/right merely changes the displayed number, then releasing your finger sends the Program Change message for that displayed number.
When we next release an update, I'll try to squeeze this one in.

THANK YOU! I was actually surprised it wasn't there already since you'd thought of (almost) everything.

I have to say, this would be a welcome addition to the LinnStrument's functionality.

You could also add a third button: i.e. Decrement - Load Preset - Increment

Either way, you've got my vote.

Cheers!

Thanks, John. I'll try.

No, thank you, Roger. :wink:

Cheers!

Bumping this. Am I right that there is no way to send a "bank change" with the Linnstrument? I've got a hardware synth with banks and presets, so it would be nice to be able to control all that from the Linnstrument. But it's not as essential as changing the operation of the preset screen.

That is correct. Bank Select (CC 0) isn't used much these days, which is presumably why no one so far has noticed its absence. Most LinnStrument players (and most musicians generally) use software synths, many of which don't even respond to Program Change, much less Bank Select. And sadly, COVID has hurt gigging musicians, for whom it is especially inconvenient to reach over to the hardware synth to change between banks of 128 presets. So I have added a feature request to my internal list, to add Bank Select capability to the Preset page, though I can't promise if or when it would be added.

Bank Select has my vote. :tu:

Cheers!

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but since Bank Select was mentioned to be added to the feature request list (and as far as I can tell, not yet added), I thought I'd present my use case since I'm a new user. I use mostly hardware synths with my LinnStrument, and I can't use LinnStruments Preset Select commands to switch presets beyond the first bank.

I feel like Bank Select is fairly common in hardware synths; my Hydrasynth, Vector Synth, and Korg WaveState have them. I noticed LinnStrument always sends out the bank with a preset select, so even if I change banks on the destination synth, the LinnStrument preset select always sends it back to the first bank. It would be great if there was a bank up/down ticker (like preset) and/or maybe even use the bottom row as a Bank Select slider.

I'm sorry. I've increased that item's priority on the bug/feature list. I've prioritized Geert's current available time for work on adapting to necessary chip changes, but I'll try to get this one in.

Or perhaps someone would care to add it to the open source code?

No problem, it sounds like there hasn't been a lot of demand for the Bank Select feature; I see it as a "value add" since the LinnStrument does so many things so well as it is! I may take a look at updating the firmware myself over the next few weeks; if I am able to get somewhere with Bank Select, I'll submit a Pull Request. Thanks!

Ahh, but what about the preset select discussion we had above? That would be super helpful!

jsterne wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:06 pm Ahh, but what about the preset select discussion we had above?
Demand take priority against Geert's limited resources. If you are up for it, feel free to fork the LinnStrument firmware code into your own repository, learn about Arduino/C++, write some code, sketch/upload it into your LinnStrument using Arduino IDE, then when well tested, create a pull request to the main repository for Geert to look over it.

I will add another vote towards Bank Select, since I will be getting the Anyma Omega Desktop pretty soon within the next few months.

jsterne wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:06 pm Ahh, but what about the preset select discussion we had above? That would be super helpful!
I'll try to get that one in as well.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”