Shortcuts to open browser / add devices

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm SURE there must be a way to do this but I can't for the life of me work it out!

Is there a keyboard shortcut for these little plus thingies?

Bitwig's browser is nice and fast and efficient and I'd like to be able to insert devices / effects without touching the mouse!

For the first one, pressing the "insert" button will bring up the pop-up browser. For the second one, that's just adding a new track, which can be done with ctrl+t for an instrument track or ctrl+shit+t for an audio track. FYI, all keyboard shortcuts can be searched and remapped in the settings.

Hmm "insert" does not exist on Mac, do you know which shortcut that is calling so I can locate it?

And the second one isn't just inserting a new track - the browser will pop up if you click it, unlike using ctrl+t etc to add a new track

ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:15 am Hmm "insert" does not exist on Mac, do you know which shortcut that is calling so I can locate it?
I just searched through the shortcuts (on win), "b" also brings up the pop browser (the command is listed as "insert from library" in the shorcuts list).
ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:15 am And the second one isn't just inserting a new track - the browser will pop up if you click it, unlike using ctrl+t etc to add a new track
Sorry, didn't realize you wanted to invoke the pop-up browser as you created the new track (I usually don't create new tracks that way). I couldn't see anything in the shortcuts list, but it's probably worth it to look through it on on your end. You could always send a feature request, it seems like a weird omission tbh.

Adam_V wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:31 am
I just searched through the shortcuts (on win), "b" also brings up the pop browser (the command is listed as "insert from library" in the shorcuts list).
That's not the same as pressing that right most + button in the device area.

If you have selected a device in the device area, it will replace it with the device you select in the browser. Or if you select the "+" areas at the very left it will add a device there (before the first device). But there's no way (that I can see) to select any of the "+" areas except for that very left most one. So I can't see a way to add a device, eg, at the end of the chain.
Sorry, didn't realize you wanted to invoke the pop-up browser as you created the new track (I usually don't create new tracks that way). I couldn't see anything in the shortcuts list, but it's probably worth it to look through it on on your end. You could always send a feature request, it seems like a weird omission tbh.
Yeah it seems like a weird omission to me too! But nothing in the shortcut list seems to refer to it.

ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 amIf you have selected a device in the device area, it will replace it with the device you select in the browser. Or if you select the "+" areas at the very left it will add a device there (before the first device). But there's no way (that I can see) to select any of the "+" areas except for that very left most one. So I can't see a way to add a device, eg, at the end of the chain.
Select the track and then B

That works in arrangement view, but not session view. If you're in session view - which I think most people would be when they're in the stage of adding new devices - it does nothing.

ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:00 am That works in arrangement view, but not session view. If you're in session view - which I think most people would be when they're in the stage of adding new devices - it does nothing.
Are you talking about pressing 'b' to open the pop-up browser? Because if so, that works fine for me in both Clip Launcher and Arrangement... but I use the Clip Launcher view that is aligned horizontally with the arrangement (the dual-view, clip matrix + arrangement). Perhaps it doesn't work in the vertical / ableton-style Matrix view.

ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:00 am That works in arrangement view, but not session view. If you're in session view - which I think most people would be when they're in the stage of adding new devices - it does nothing.
You must be talking about Mixer view.

'B' works to open the popup in Arrange view, whether you have the Clip Launcher, Arrange timeline or both visible.

Apologies, I was using Ableton jargon there - yep the vertical Mixer view is what I was talking about! (ie, my second picture)

ozias_leduc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:52 am Apologies, I was using Ableton jargon there - yep the vertical Mixer view is what I was talking about! (ie, my second picture)
I'm not sure how most people work... One of the things I like about Bitwig is the side by side Clip Launcher and Arrange. I don't use the Mixer view for building tracks, but I can see how coming from Ableton you might go that route cause it is how Live is.

If you are in the Mixer view, Cmd-T adds a track, 'D' brings focus to the device panel, 'B' opens the popup browser

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:14 amIf you are in the Mixer view, Cmd-T adds a track, 'D' brings focus to the device panel, 'B' opens the popup browser
^^^ this is something that OP might be missing, i.e. that some (most?) shortcuts in Bitwig are context sensitive, so for 'B' to work you need to be focused in devices panel (hence the required middle-step of 'D'). It's not obvious and definitely not how Ableton - or most DAWs, for that matter - work :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Spoke to soon. They managed to mess up browser big time…
ozias_leduc wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:23 pm I'm SURE there must be a way to do this but I can't for the life of me work it out!

Is there a keyboard shortcut for these little plus thingies?

Bitwig's browser is nice and fast and efficient and I'd like to be able to insert devices / effects without touching the mouse!

Return to “Bitwig”