An alternative LinnStrument Bitwig controller extension

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've put together a small Bitwig extension for better support of the LinnStrument.

Why: I like having pads light up with notes played by Bitwig in track playback, it's a feature that I got used to when playing on Novation Launchpads. With the LinnStrument I found that the experience is not quite as seamless, since one needs to manually configure the MIDI out on a separate track with a HW device. If I want to switch between OneChan and NotePerChan modes, I have to change the MIDI configuration of the HW device manually. For songs with many tracks managing either multiple clips or multiple HW devices is rather annoying.

The extension makes Bitwig behave with the LinnStrument the same way as DrivenByMoss extension works for pad grid controllers. Bitwig sends MIDI out messages when notes of the currently selected tracks are played, making the pads of the LinnStrument light up in sync. Optionally, the extension sends out messages on both MIDI Main channels (ch 16) and a single channel (usually ch 1), so that the pad lights will work in both OneChan and ChanPerNote modes. Currently the lights look weird for ChanPerRow mode (since only one row lights up). I can add support for that mode by sending messages on more than two channels if anyone needs it.

Its entirely possible that there is a simpler way to accomplish the same that I've missed, but it was a fun one-day project and it makes my experience with the LinnStrument more enjoyable. I've put the code on GitHub, the binaries are available as a GitHub release as well. I considered making it a merge request into the core Bitwig extension repository, but I cannot currently afford the time expense in getting the code up to the repository standards. If someone wants to do it I am all for it.

I'll gladly take requests for additional functionality or bug reports in this thread. I'm considering allocating the leftmost column of LinnStrument pads for simple transport controls. It would be nice to be able to start recording without taking hands off the LinnStrument.

Github release: https://github.com/ocherny/LinnAlt/releases/tag/0.1

Thanks for sharing...

Just gave this a try and it's really nice to get a quick visual feedback of what's playing. I think this will be my default from now on. Can anyone see a downside?

Could you post a short video to show what it does with LinnStrument’s lights? I’m not sure how it’s different from the normal light animation options.

Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:57 pm Could you post a short video to show what it does with LinnStrument’s lights? I’m not sure how it’s different from the normal light animation options.
From what I understand it lights up the pads when notes are played in a MIDI clip or other instrument.
With Live, the Push 2 does that but the Linnstrument doesn't as far as I can see.
I

Rivanni wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 pm From what I understand it lights up the pads when notes are played in a MIDI clip or other instrument.
I ask because LinnStrument already does that when you send MIDI data to it.

Roger_Linn wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:49 pm
Rivanni wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 pm From what I understand it lights up the pads when notes are played in a MIDI clip or other instrument.
I ask because LinnStrument already does that when you send MIDI data to it.
Hmm, then I'll have to look at the settings because it doesn't do that here. Is there anything particular I should look at on the Linnstrument?

Whenever you send a Note On message to LinnStrument over the current Main channel, all note pads assigned to the message's pitch will light in the color assigned in Per-Split Settings > Color column > Played, and turn off with the corresponding Note Off message. More info about this, including a variety of light animations, can be found in relevant section of the Panel Settings page.

This extension makes Bitwig send MIDI out to LinnStrument when a clip or a track is played. Bitwig doesn’t do it by default and I couldn’t find a setting that would enable that behavior. It’s possible to send MIDI out to LinnStrument using a “HW Instrument” device in Bitwig, but it’s unwieldy for the reasons described in the original post.

LinnStrument already does what it needs to, the extension only changes Bitwig behavior.

I understand now. The problem is that Bitwig's method of sending a track's MIDI output to both a software instrument and to MIDI out at the same time is cumbersome. Thanks for the clarification, which is good to know.

Yes, quite. In order to do it, you either need to set up a side chain with a midi out or a separate track dedicated to the midi out. There is no way to quickly switch between tracks if you are working on an arrangement. Muting a track in Bitwig does not disable the MIDI output, it only reduces its volume, so if you have multiple tracks each will continue sending its MIDI out messages. Disabling tracks is hidden deep in menus.

This extension reduces the manual management involved, the selected track will be included in the MIDI out with duplicate messages sent on multiple channels (for multiple LinnStrument modes).

Thank you so much! Like you, I got spoiled with the Driven by Moss controller scripts since they all work like that by default.

Well over a year after this was created, it works perfectly, and it still seems to be the best way to use the LinnStrument with Bitwig Studio!

This should be baked into the core Bitwig controller script IMO.
Replica Obscura

Thanks as well from my side! I'm using it now for a while and it's very handy to have this. Also kind of expected this to be there by default, as it's also the standard behavior with my Launchpad Pro Mk3.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Been using this quite a bit. I desire to modify it to add a grid or clip launcher. I did a little research into how the alternate firmware mode works but i wouldn't know how to quickly switch to that and back to the linnstrument mode. would be cool to be able to do that from a program change/button or something like that...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://instagram.com/kirkwoodwest/
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

hi, is this extension still working in the latest bitwig (5.1)?
i installed it and selected it as the controller (see attached screenshot), but no notes light up on the linnstrument on playback. linnstrument is on default MPE settings. is there anything else i need to configure?

UPDATE: reconnecting the USB cable fixed it.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 213356.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by damdai on Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”