Correlated modulation

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

One special thing I always really liked about the old granular plugin Argotlunar, is that as modulation most of the parameters can be correlated. I never seen that elsewhere and it's really amazing the effects you can create. By 'correlated' it means you can modulation a parameter with another. Examples, a filter cut-off correlated with pitch: higher filter cut-off for grains with higher pitch. Or grain duration correlated with panning: grains with shorter duration panned to the center of the stereo field, and grains with longer duration panned wide in the stereo field.

The thing is Argotlunar is old & dated, unsupported now and quite unstable on new systems. Not very reliable and obviously I much prefer crusher-X which is by far way more powerful & fun. But man I miss that unique feature in Argotlunar. If something similar could be implemented in crusher-X, that would be fantastic and would bring something quite new and fresh into crusher too...

You can try what I mean by getting the plugin (it's free) still available here: https://mourednik.github.io/argotlunar

So, what do you think accSone? :D

Agree, this creates very strong effects. But, Mmm, isn't that doable with the "global" Grain Modulation - by adjusting the Glob Mod slider and e.g. in combination with the -1 "global modulation inverter" on the Grain Modulations that you want to correlate?

There is another option that you can sync all modulations to the host (DAW playhead position) by. e.g enable "Sync Mod" button in the Granulizer panel. That ensures that all grain modulations never desync even if they running on different frequencies.

Best
accSone

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think the Global Modulation suggestion is the same as correlating one parameter to the other, with the Glob Mod grain size cannot depends on the panning for example, both will just be modified by the Global Modulation. Unless I misunderstood something?

Well need to try your sync the modulation to the DAW idea.

Thanks!

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 pm I don't think the Global Modulation suggestion is the same as correlating one parameter to the other, with the Glob Mod grain size cannot depends on the panning for example, both will just be modified by the Global Modulation.
Well, yes, that is not possible, but think reverse: The Global Modulation can steer desired (two ore more) other grain modulations in sync. So you can actually achieve the same, for example modulate the grain length in sync together with the filter cut - or the offset with pan. Using the -1 button allows you to invert the global modulation on desired grain modulations so that you can reverse the modulations (e.g. higher filter cut on lower grain lengths).

Best
accSone

Thanks for that reverse thinking, good tip. Will give it a try!

Update: gave your tip a try and it can create indeed some very cool and interesting results! A way to work I haven't thought about before, so hopefully it'll give other people ideas too for their sounds.

Would still love to have a 'true' easy correlated modulation system to correlate any parameter with any other, but I'm sure it's not that easy to implemented.

Thanks again

Return to “accSone”