Korg Minilogue XD

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the minilogue xd newly adds a digital multi-engine

Love it when the the cheapest version of the range has better features than the expensive flagship synth :)
I will get one but will wait until the summer so i don't have to be a alpha tester like i had to be for almost a year on the Prologue.

D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am Love it when the the cheapest version of the range has better features than the expensive flagship synth :)
I will get one but will wait until the summer so i don't have to be a alpha tester like i had to be for almost a year on the Prologue.
I don't think it's on sale until winter at the earliest.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 am
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am Love it when the the cheapest version of the range has better features than the expensive flagship synth :)
He is not looking for sale, but till synth will settie in with firmware and software, reviews ect :)

yeah its KVRist habbit to look for sales :D

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am
He is not looking for sale, but till synth will settie in with firmware and software, reviews ect :)

yeah its KVRist habbit to look for sales :D
Correct :tu:
Was burned twice with the prologue tuning issues and other stuff so they went in and out of service so i gave up in the end.

I feel the Mini XD might be more robust since it has a separate powersupply which the Prologue doesn't have and both of my Prologues had power issues on top of the other problems.

I was almost interested until that video ruined my day. I'm no longer certain which is more annoying, the f**king fake involvement of the diaper gang or the faux glasses and beard crew.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I heard that means shortly after 2019 winter NAMM. Maybe wrong

I grow weary of the inevitable fact that every piece of gear I buy will eventually be replaced by a better, more compelling Version 2. It also doesn’t help that I spent an entire year repeatedly calling Korg and trying to order a replacement VCA Envelope pot after the original failed on my old Minilogue. I finally got one and repaired the synth just in time to have the entire instrument be rendered obsolete.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

How is it obsolete? It has 2 x ADSR envelopes, 2 x filter modes and several more play modes, the new one has compromised on these things. I'd almost see them as complementary, not an either/or proposition.
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am Love it when the the cheapest version of the range has better features than the expensive flagship synth
Cheapest would be Minilogue, which does retain a couple of features that make it better than this. Most important is that this doesn't allow you to transpose the sequencer using the keyboard, which is a massive fail in my book.

They have also removed a few features from the current Minilogue to make room for the new stuff - the second envelope is no longer ADSR, just AD like the Monologue, and half the cool play modes have been stripped out. Only one filter mode, too.

In some ways this looks like it could be a big step up for just a couple of hundred more (listed at Au$999 here, as opposed to Au$799 for the original) but, like the original, it still seems to have a few compromises, possibly a few too many.

There is a decent enough review of it on Engadget - https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/15/kor ... xd-review/

At the end of the day, though, if I had a grand (Aussie money) to spend on a new synth, I think I'd prefer a Waldorf Pulse 2 to this, although that may change after I have had a play with it. And 4 x Uno would be slightly cheaper and way more flexible, if more untidy/unruly.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Apparently I hadn’t studied the specs closely enough. I saw some summaries of the new features, but didn’t realize they had removed other existing functionality. Why does Korg insist on continually compromising their products like this? (Yes, I know... money.)

Oh well, I’ll just continue to enjoy the one that I’ve got.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 pm How is it obsolete? It has 2 x ADSR envelopes, 2 x filter modes and several more play modes, the new one has compromised on these things. I'd almost see them as complementary, not an either/or proposition.
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:36 am Love it when the the cheapest version of the range has better features than the expensive flagship synth
Cheapest would be Minilogue, which does retain a couple of features that make it better than this. Most important is that this doesn't allow you to transpose the sequencer using the keyboard, which is a massive fail in my book.

They have also removed a few features from the current Minilogue to make room for the new stuff - the second envelope is no longer ADSR, just AD like the Monologue, and half the cool play modes have been stripped out. Only one filter mode, too.

In some ways this looks like it could be a big step up for just a couple of hundred more (listed at Au$999 here, as opposed to Au$799 for the original) but, like the original, it still seems to have a few compromises, possibly a few too many.
It does have all the play modes that the Prologue and Minilogue has ;)

- POLY: Turning the knob toward the right switches to DUO mode and deepens the detune.
- UNISON: Turning the knob toward the right deepens the detune.
- CHORD: Selects mono or chord type.
- ARP / LATCH: (ARP) Selects the arpeggiator type.

While the hype is about the XD and Prologue now i ended up getting a minilogue again and the sound is not that different against the Prologue.
Using a compressor and the 12 lp filter gets you there and i discovered that the Minilogue filter has a higher filter range than the Prologue too which is a bonus :tu:
If i need some drive i just use some tube distortion in the chain too.

Why would you use a compressor on a synth? Why wouldn't you just play with the VCA and Amp Envelope settings until you got the sound you wanted?
D-Fusion wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am It does have all the play modes that the Prologue and Minilogue has ;)
- POLY: Turning the knob toward the right switches to DUO mode and deepens the detune.
If that's the list, then it is missing Minilogue's Duo, Mono, Delay and Sidechain modes, which means it only has half as many.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 pm Why would you use a compressor on a synth? Why wouldn't you just play with the VCA and Amp Envelope settings until you got the sound you wanted?
D-Fusion wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am It does have all the play modes that the Prologue and Minilogue has ;)
If that's the list, then it is missing Minilogue's Duo, Mono, Delay and Sidechain modes, which means it only has half as many.
I use the compressor to make the filter work like the Prologue filter so i get no volume or bass reduction when using resonance.
That way i get 4 different sounding filter modes with compressor on or off which gives me more options than the XD or Prologue which only have 1 filter mode ;)

It has the duo mode and mono mode if you read all the options in the post again ;)
Turning Voice mode = Duo mode
Chord mode can act as Mono or chord mode
The delay and sidechain options are not so important to me but since i went for the Minilogue i have them anyway.

The digital oscillator had lots of weird showstoppers for me when i had the Prologue like extremely slow loading times when you had more than 1 digital oscillator installed and the shape knob position wasn't stored either when saving a patch it always defaulted to 0 when saved.

I will try the XD when my shop get it to see if the digital oscillator is fixed but like it is now i am more than happy with my Minilogue template which gives me more filter options + no slowdowns from a weak digital oscillator addon.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”