Disto released! (Distressor & Fatso in 1)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Disto is released! :hyper:
Do i need to say more?

Discuss!

I'm having a lot of fun with it right now. It can do so much in a mix. LA2A, 3A, 1176.
The "Fatso" part will also get enough use here. The Warmth is splendid for easing the very highs back in vocals, synths & loops.

http://www.sknote.it/Disto.htm

Been playing with it all day. It's pant wettingly good! :party: :tu: :clap:

Twrogstudio wrote:It's pant wettingly good! :party: :tu: :clap:
Nice review! Might have to check it out ...and lay down some plastic or something :lol:

Bumping this as it really should be getting more attention ;)

Loving how it sounds on my drum buss. Pretty special on a 303, too...

I dived in.

I'd say so far I'm very happy but not totally ecstatic. It's no doubt an excellent plug and a total bargain.

So far I've used it on bass, drums and a bit on guitar. I've got a fair bit of experience using a hardware Distressor (with bass in particular) although I don't own one and don't have one here to compare to.

My initial feelings are that it does a great of job of adding weight to things and the saturation sounds very nice. Although it's hard without being able to compare it to hardware, my feeling is it doesn't quite have the same kind of 'lift and grab' the hardware does in terms of the compression action itself. I find myself perhaps relying a little bit more on the saturation to get tone than I would with the hardware.

But that's a very early impression and I'm still learning the plug. But I definitely recommend it.

Thanks transmetropolitan! :D

A note: we unlinked saturation from compression. While hardware has fixed threshold and headroom, the "Hottitude" knob here unlinks headroom (a sidechain trick is needed on hardware to do it).
So, you may need to set a bit of sat to get the same results you are used to with hw.
Usually Hottitude to 2 takes you there. Saturation works together with compression.

I wasn't surprised you said exactly that, you need some sat to get your results :)

This looks and sounds very cool. Price is a steal.
Does sknote use PACE or elicenser? If not I'm totally in. :)

Nothing :wink:

Best answer. Buying tomorrow. :)

@quintosardo: When the AAX version is released, will it make use of the Pro Tools "Track Gain Reduction Meters" ?

I guess yes, as meters are managed directly by PT in AAX.

I've ever owned a distressor and have only limited experience with one. But this seems like a pretty remarkable plugin. It's not straightforward, because there are a lot of parameters, but it gets pleasing results by ear. It's really varied--changing ratios has a VERY pronounced effect on the sound. The saturation can go from subtle to overbearing; the warmth is a nice way of smoothing highs. I find it's like the SKnote Sta-level--I have a hard time getting a smooth clean compression that sits right. But I have other comps that do that. This is a really effective comp with a lot of variety and a lot of "heft" or density to it.

[Mod edit: N/A part removed.]

Question to those that have this plugin/tested it - out of pure interest:
What's the ASIO usage on a comparable i7 QuadCore (1st or 2nd Generation), with low latency (128 to 256 samples buffer)?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I just bought the Disto and SDC...did not really have any pleasant experience before either
(actually none because none of my emails were answered ever)...but i kinda like the Disto.
The SDC is a little funny, maybe i do not understand it but i already like what the Disto does.
Its going towards a direction where it will be the first Dyn Plugin to be opened when i start.
The thing about SDC is that it needs really high Gains to actually do something, way pass 0VU.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Love this plugin... Think it's my favorite itb distortion. Has a great tone.

Nice one Quinto! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Effects”