Can someone using Live please share their Live Set?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how to get the pressure messages sent to a synth hosted within Live.

I'm trying to use u-he's Diva.

I understand that you have to create 16 MIDI channels, but I'm not sure how to configure the MIDI ins and outs for those exactly.

Also, what settings are you using on the LinnStrument itself.

Any help from a fellow Live user would be most greatly appreciated!

If you'd prefer to share screenshots instead of a Live project, I'm down...

Hi,

I'm not a Live user, but based on comments from other people I think that Live actually doesn't handle different midi channels well. I think it might even collapse them all unless you set up a max4live patch. I know that's not terribly helpful, but I thought it might be good for you to be aware of this.

Take care,

Geert
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

I'm not getting channel pressure recorded at all or transmitted to the synth.

I just installed Live Trial while checking in MIDI Monitor at the same time. Polyphonic Pressure is indeed stripped away (Channel Pressure isn't) and all the MIDI messages are collapsed to channel 1 even though they're sent on different channels. So it does seem to be Live that does all this.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

yes live, always sends on channel 1, unless you target a vsts specific input channel
and no, no poly pressure support, just send channel pressure, as voice per channel

a) Create a track for each channel and group them ( keep things tidy)
b)then create another track for diva
c) for each track in (a) set to a different midi channel (1..N)
d) for each track in (a) midi output route, select the diva track and then the corresponding input (1..N) (do not use track in!)

the 'pain' is if you change you change VST to you have to do (d) again.
but I've got an M4L device i wrote to do this for me :)

late here now, but if you havent sorted it by tomorrow, let me know and I can post you an example.
(not for linnstrument, but it will give you the idea)

Hey -

Here's what I have so far:
live setup.png
Does that look correct?

I then have the LinnStrument's per-split settings like this:

MIDI Mode: One Chan
Main Chan: 1
Loudness: On, Chan Pres

This Live setup seems to show activity only on the first MIDI channel track that's set to 1 - Bazille, 1 - Bazille (or 3 MIDI) which I makes sense since you say Live always send on channel 1. I guess I'm not understanding how the rest of the channels should be functioning?

If I then record a clip on the Bazille track, I can now get channel pressure but it seems to be the inverse of what I'm actually doing (high pressure gets recorded as a low value and vice versa!) which is really weird.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One more question about pitch bend based on what I see in the documentation for the LinnStrument:

" LinnStrument still sends pressure, left/right pitch bend and forward/backward timbre messages from movements of the most-recent touch."

Left/right pitch bend? Does that mean that in a split each pitch bend should be triggered independently? I ask because I'm finding that pitch bend seems to affect all notes in both splits.

natqueencole wrote:One more question about pitch bend based on what I see in the documentation for the LinnStrument:

" LinnStrument still sends pressure, left/right pitch bend and forward/backward timbre messages from movements of the most-recent touch."

Left/right pitch bend? Does that mean that in a split each pitch bend should be triggered independently? I ask because I'm finding that pitch bend seems to affect all notes in both splits.
Hi Natqueencole,

I downloaded the demo for Baziile and created an Ableton Live project that uses 16 MIDI Tracks/channels for Channel Per Note functionality with the Linnstrument. Download here:

Linnstrument_Bazille_16 Project.zip

I just did a quick test with this with the Linnstrument in Channel Per Note mode and it tracked the pitch bend correctly for multiple notes being played simultaneously.

One issue I noticed with your screen shot above is that you had your Bazille track Armed while also having the individual MIDI tracks with their inputs enabled. You don't need to have the Bazille track Armed in Live if you have the inputs enabled on your Channel Per Note MIDI tracks.

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Chad

Return to “Roger Linn Design”