Sampling into Sampler

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just trying out the demo (pretty excited) and the first thing I went to try was the Sampler.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to input an Audio signal to sample sounds. Would anyone care to explain how to do this or enlighten me as to whether it's even possible or not?

I think the workflow here is:

Drag n drop audio files from the file system

or

1. Create track with MIDI + instruments etc.
2. Bounce track in place
2. Right-click / slice to sampler

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Ah I see, so very similar to the workflow with A.Live then. That's a shame really; so no fun sampling on the fly/chopping directly from a MIDI controller. This was the one big thing that I was hoping Bitwig would do that A.Live can't. Looks like I'll be waiting for version 2.0

Well I'm not 100% sure if that is possible or not. Maybe with the right type of controller / script? Someone else might have more info.
... space is the place ...

I wonder what the routing capabilities are in Bitwig. I possibly have mistaken the term hybrid tracks to mean that you can route MIDI and Audio signals to anywhere you want within Bitwig. If that's not the case then it seems to be quite an archaic system and not so next gen as I once thought.

Hoping I will be informed otherwise :)

This is my main major gripe with the way Ableton Live works, even when using the powerful Max4Live. In order to create a Sampling device that will allow you to sample a live signal in realtime and chop it up to distribute across keys you need to create a companion device and place it on a separate Audio Track. This signal is then recorded to the buffer which the MIDI track device can access.
It's not very elegant.

Anyway I'll be checking out the rest of the demo to see if if really offers me more than Live.

You are aware that you can put any devices in any order inside one track?
Does that help you?

I for instance played bass into an audio track, first device was Uhbik-Q Equalizer, then the "Bass Midi" VST converting the sound to midi but still letting the audio through) and finally the Reaktor instrument Prism FX, which needs both midi and audio input to play the resonators that modify the bass sound.
And since all this is running on one audio track, I would even be able to record the result and drag it from there into a sampler. The same may be possible for you with a looper or other such device.

Just a idea though. I also think midi routing is important to add in the future.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

'dragging' being the operative word here. I don't want a click fest workflow, I'm looking to emulate a Maschine style workflow using any drumpad controller, as I'm sure many others will. I specifically use Push.

If the Sampler device in Bitwig has no Audio Input then it doesn't really matter one bit if we can stack devices in 3 or 4 Dimensions, you won't be able to trigger it to record Audio in a live manner. Maybe some clever scripting will appear in the future or when 2.0 is released and we can open the hood this will happen.

p.s. sorry, realised this came across as a bit 'ranty'. I'm not angry about this just curious about this new 'revolutionary' piece of next-gen audio software. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Return to “Bitwig”