AGL :How do I start always in Finger and not Strummer ?

Official support for: amplesound.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My song starts in Finger. Then I have added the keyswitch C#6 which shifts to Strummer. But the bummer is, since of course I am often coming back to the beginning of my song to make it better or what, it stays like that (in strummer) and I have to manually shift back to Finger. A bit annoying.

Since I am in Reaper DAW, I tried to add a snapshotmarker at the beginning of the song which shoud automatically recall Finger position but then Reaper crashes, which doesn't make things quicker.

Any idea ?

Thank you

So in your midi lane, where you want the strum to start you have a placed a note to trigger the strummer keyswitch. That note probably still has the default velocity which is likely somewhere between 80 and 120 I'm guessing. This keyswitch is actually a toggle though they made it way more complicated and unintuitive than it needs to be. Anyway, place the very same note at the beginning of your song, but set the velocity to less than 63. In your situation it would actually be a good idea to put this at the beginning of all your measures that are in finger mode so you can jump to any of them as needed.

Strummer Toggle (OFF = Vel. 1-63, ON = Vel. 64-127)

Cheers!

Greg Houston wrote:So in your midi lane, where you want the strum to start you have a placed a note to trigger the strummer keyswitch. That note probably still has the default velocity which is likely somewhere between 80 and 120 I'm guessing. This keyswitch is actually a toggle though they made it way more complicated and unintuitive than it needs to be. Anyway, place the very same note at the beginning of your song, but set the velocity to less than 63. In your situation it would actually be a good idea to put this at the beginning of all your measures that are in finger mode so you can jump to any of them as needed.

Cheers!
That is it Thanks Greg!

And you can't switch finger and strum playing style (sample banks) when DAW playing. If you have to do it, we suggest to use 2 tracks Ample Guitar, one is finger and another is pick.

Best regards

Also, for the very same reason I find it helpful to add the technique keyswitch to the beginning of each measure, particularly if it is SUS.

Greg Houston wrote:Also, for the very same reason I find it helpful to add the technique keyswitch to the beginning of each measure, particularly if it is SUS.
Yeah, it would be safe if you have another technique in the end. Thanks again Greg.

Ample Sound wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:So in your midi lane, where you want the strum to start you have a placed a note to trigger the strummer keyswitch. That note probably still has the default velocity which is likely somewhere between 80 and 120 I'm guessing. This keyswitch is actually a toggle though they made it way more complicated and unintuitive than it needs to be. Anyway, place the very same note at the beginning of your song, but set the velocity to less than 63. In your situation it would actually be a good idea to put this at the beginning of all your measures that are in finger mode so you can jump to any of them as needed.

Cheers!
That is it Thanks Greg!

And you can't switch finger and strum playing style (sample banks) when DAW playing. If you have to do it, we suggest to use 2 tracks Ample Guitar, one is finger and another is pick.

Best regards
I taught myself (with forum and stuff) in Midi music, and I did not understand this part :Strummer Toggle (OFF = Vel. 1-63, ON = Vel. 64-127). Thank you, it's more clear, now.

[quote="Ample Sound]

And you can't switch finger and strum playing style (sample banks) when DAW playing. [/quote]

Thanks but excuse me but it's not quite clear. Can I do it (switch from finger to strummer) using Gregs's advice or not? Or are you just meaning it's better not to do any shift with the mouse during the time the song is playing? or it's just a second solution, just good as well?

The method I gave is 100% safe. It is slightly confusing because the same terms we are using for these two different modes also apply to the two different sample banks. You do not want to change sample banks in the middle of a song, but there are no keyswitches for that anyway. Maybe it's better to refer to the modes as "Strummer" and "Solo" (rather than "Finger").

sample banks = pattern and chords bank, right?

UncleEti wrote:sample banks = pattern and chords bank, right?
No. Each Ample Sound instrument has two of three sample banks/sets. AGL has "Pick" and "Finger". They sound totally different. "Pick" sounds like strings being picked. "Finger" sounds like strings being fingered.

See the manual.

Greg Houston wrote:
No. Each Ample Sound instrument has two of three sample banks/sets. AGL has "Pick" and "Finger". They sound totally different. "Pick" sounds like strings being picked. "Finger" sounds like strings being fingered.

See the manual.
Ah, ok, I see. You can programm it drawing your midi editor before playing your track, but you can't do it in live. Thanks

UncleEti wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:

See the manual.
Ah, ok, I see. You can programm it drawing your midi editor before playing your track, but you can't do it in live. Thanks
Hi, in this case you have to create another track for strumming because it takes some time to switch between sample banks which unfortunately cannot be avoided.

Thank you, Jie.

I look a bit thick but actually I am...Just kidding.
I found something too : in the context of my workflow, it's somewhat annoying to work with C#6, because, if, at some point in the mixage particularly, you want to work on volume, you'll probably move from Solo to strummer and opposite, and then you're done again because of the velocity.

So 2 tracks is the best!
Thx

UncleEti wrote:Thank you, Jie.

I look a bit thick but actually I am...Just kidding.
I found something too : in the context of my workflow, it's somewhat annoying to work with C#6, because, if, at some point in the mixage particularly, you want to work on volume, you'll probably move from Solo to strummer and opposite, and then you're done again because of the velocity.

So 2 tracks is the best!
Thx
We have a demo song - Flower House Girl - AGT AGM
You can login Myamplesound to download it.
It is a good exemple for Solo\Strummer switch learning.

Best regards

Greg Houston wrote:The method I gave is 100% safe. It is slightly confusing because the same terms we are using for these two different modes also apply to the two different sample banks. You do not want to change sample banks in the middle of a song, but there are no keyswitches for that anyway. Maybe it's better to refer to the modes as "Strummer" and "Solo" (rather than "Finger").
Thanks Greg, the mode names are Strummer and Solo.
The playing mode names are Pick, Strum and Finger.

Best regards

Return to “Ample Sound”