Scapes Wizard 2 bug?

Official support for: hgf-synthesizer.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe I am doing something wrong , but in the Pro version the Pitch knob for Slot 1 does not change pitch in one semitone increment for each "click" in turning the knob -- some successive single "clicks" from the 0 setting do not increment (or decrement) the pitch at all while others do, and the result is that the -12 setting is not one octave down, and +12 is not a full octave up. The Pitch knobs for the other three slots work as the manual says they should.

Is this a bug, or just me?

Greg Williams

gwill wrote:Maybe I am doing something wrong , but in the Pro version the Pitch knob for Slot 1 does not change pitch in one semitone increment for each "click" in turning the knob -- some successive single "clicks" from the 0 setting do not increment (or decrement) the pitch at all while others do, and the result is that the -12 setting is not one octave down, and +12 is not a full octave up. The Pitch knobs for the other three slots work as the manual says they should.

Is this a bug, or just me?

Greg Williams
works here fine ... but it might be worth checking setting of Pitch Mod set to Off for testing as this might interfere.

Here is what I see hear with more detailed testing (with Pitch Mod off and Slots 1 and 2 playing the same sample):

a complete clockwise turn (-12 to +12) of the Pitch knob produces HALF as much total sounding pitch increase for Slot 1 as for Slot 2

turning the Pitch knob for Slot 2 changes sounding pitch for each increment (such as 00 to -01 or +06 to +07), but turning the Pitch Knob for Slot 1 does NOT change sounding pitch for these increments: 00 to +01, +02 to +03, +04 to +05, +05 to +06, +08 to +09, +09 to +010, -01 to -02, -02 to -03, -05 to -06, -06 to -07, -08 to -09, -010 to -011 -- not in each case that HALF of the incremental turns do not change the pitch, corresponding to a total change (for a full turn of Pitch knob) of one-half as much sounding pitch for Slot 1 as compared to Slot 2 (see above).

The question is, why would it be different for me and for you? I am using energyXT 1.4 as the host, Win XP SP3, Athlon single core CPU.

Hope we can solve the mystery,

Greg Williams

gwill wrote:Here is what I see hear with more detailed testing (with Pitch Mod off and Slots 1 and 2 playing the same sample):

a complete clockwise turn (-12 to +12) of the Pitch knob produces HALF as much total sounding pitch increase for Slot 1 as for Slot 2

turning the Pitch knob for Slot 2 changes sounding pitch for each increment (such as 00 to -01 or +06 to +07), but turning the Pitch Knob for Slot 1 does NOT change sounding pitch for these increments: 00 to +01, +02 to +03, +04 to +05, +05 to +06, +08 to +09, +09 to +010, -01 to -02, -02 to -03, -05 to -06, -06 to -07, -08 to -09, -010 to -011 -- not in each case that HALF of the incremental turns do not change the pitch, corresponding to a total change (for a full turn of Pitch knob) of one-half as much sounding pitch for Slot 1 as compared to Slot 2 (see above).

The question is, why would it be different for me and for you? I am using energyXT 1.4 as the host, Win XP SP3, Athlon single core CPU.

Hope we can solve the mystery,

Greg Williams
well, I did countercheck with the source code and both sections have identical wiring and range values for +/-1V (= +/-1 octave) max. and stepping of .08666..V quantizing. So from the mere internal technical point of view both sections are and do the very same. So maybe you should countercheck in a different host e.g. VSTHost or Minihost or alike.

hth
HG

I just tried using both MACAW and FLStudio9 (full) as hosts -- exactly the same problem.

Perhaps you could ask beta testers of SW2 to check this, too? So far, we have only two data points with regard to computer setups, so we don't know how widespread is the problem out in the "real world," right?

Also, I have found the same problem here with SW2Demo.

Thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this,

Greg Williams

I just noticed that moving a Pitch knob causes the CC value at the top right of the SW2 GUI to change. So, very simply, here's what I get (with Pitch Mod off):

for all Slots except 1, the CC values range from 0 (knob fully counterclockwise) to 66 (middle) to 127 (fully clockwise).

for Slot 1, CC values range from 63 (knob fully CCW) to 95 (middle) to 127 (fully CW)

It is difficult for me to understand how this purely internal difference could result from my host or OS peculiarities. (By the way, I also see the problem with Phrazor standalone full host.) Perhaps there is a different error in the source code (knob range limits? Pitch Mod not turning off properly) than you were looking for before? Or maybe you have different versions (Pro and Demo!) than I do?

At any rate, now it would take just a few seconds for any tester to see whether Slot 1's Pitch knob is behaving differently than the knobs in the other Slots. I hope some SW2 (Pro or Demo) users will check and report.

Still hopeful for a solution,

Greg

Just tested on a different (XP) computer running Reaper host -- same problem.

My SC2 DLLs (both Pro and Demo) say version 1.5.

Greg

I've uploaded the version I've here so please redownload from the known link.

thanks
HG

Fortune wrote:I've uploaded the version I've here so please redownload from the known link.

thanks
HG
I will be able to redownload on Wednesday afternoon (11-2), so please keep it on until then. Thanks, Greg

The new version that I downloaded today is working fine! Thank you!!!

FYI, the old (problematic) DLL had the same date as the new DLL, but its time was several minutes prior to that of the new one.

I appreciate your (as usual) superb attention to this.

Best wishes,

Greg Williams

Return to “HG Fortune”