Bardstown piano

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi!

one my friend is unable to speak english and he told me to ask if bardstown piano has any procession over it?

he have played a bit bardstown full at some other place and he thinks that pedalled down C7 is distorted/excited (processed with exciter???), and there are some other notes that sound to be processed with exciter too

I have seen that someone else has noted this "distorted" issue also. As for me, I didn't check bardstown itself, just heard demo at purgatorycreek. Sounds nice.

Did you tell your friend to check out 4Front Piano? :)
4Front software
http://www.yohng.com

Hi George,

So when will 4Front Piano Pro version be available? :D

PaintedBlue wrote: So when will 4Front Piano Pro version be available? :D
Damn so much work... Will be sometimes in the future certainly :)

Tell me what would you like to have in pro version most btw?
4Front software

gyohng wrote:Did you tell your friend to check out 4Front Piano? :)
Tried it this weekend. Very nice. Mellow sound. Not as bright as mda, and not the metallic aftertaste of STfree/SR pianos.

But for even more options, there is a free 500M Bosendorfer on the cover of this month's Music Tech Magazine.

Yee! Haw!

V.

Actually its more like a free 150Mb Bosendorfer in 4 different sampler formats...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

yes, i guess he's not interested anymore, he's got satisfied with 4front :P

but yet i'll be curious myself what's wrong with bardstown

The Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand is totally unprocessed and exhibits the pure and natural sound of the real Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 that was sample recorded. Unlike all other sampled pianos that are available, no noise reduction or filters were used on any of the samples in the Bardstown Bosendorfer. Noise reduction and filtering have destructive effects on any sampled instrument that will make for a dull sounding sampled instrument with less life and gusto, though this sound may be desirable for some people doing music where they want this softer and more mellow sound with all notes sounding consistent with each other. You can always add low pass filtering to a sampled instrument, but if it is processed permanently in the samples, you can never remove it. The customer has complete flexibility and control over the Bardstown Bosendorfer by having a Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 with its full natural pristine sound with full character of sound, or making it into a softer piano with all notes being consistently voiced without variations of character on certain notes. On any real piano, you do have variations of sound and character on different notes. Over the years, many people have become accustomed to playing and hearing sampled pianos and keyboard pianos that have been extensively processed, and as a result some people have become conditioned into thinking that this is the way a piano is supposed to sound.

Considerable care was taken during the sample recording process of the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand using the very best recording equipment and techniques in order to insure that bare minimum noise and artifacts would be present in the samples. The end result is a sampled piano that truly plays and sounds like the real Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 that was sample recorded. All notes at all velocities and articulations of pedal up, pedal down, and release note off, were chromatically sample recorded without pitch shifting any notes or using filters to produce additional fake velocity layers, such has been done on most other sampled pianos. Any of these destructive processes, such as filtering, noise reduction, and pitch shifting, do have negative effects on the sound sound of the piano.

On any real piano, including the Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 that was sample recorded for the Bardstown Bosendorfer, you always have variations of hammer felt voicings from note to note chromatically with varying degrees of hardness and softness on the felts of the hammers, and you also have sympathetic resonances of the strings that produce natural character vibrations. These sympathetic vibrations vary in the way they interact and respond on different pianos of the exact same model. If you have ten Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 pianos, no two will respond and sound exactly the same, though they will all have the characteristic sound of a Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290. In all pianos you have a wooden sound board and bridge, in addition to a metal plate that supports the strings. There are no two pieces of wood that are exactly the same with the same grain and molecular structures, so for this reason different sound boards will respond differently to harmonic vibrations. A similar situation is also found with quality hand made guitars where no two are exactly alike in their sound and response because no two guitars have the same exact grain and molecular structures in the wood. With all of this being said, all of these pianos with their natural variations sound beautiful in their own way.

As I stated in a preceding paragraph above, there is no filtering in the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand. You do get the pure natural sound of the real Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290 that was sample recorded, which sounds absolutely beautiful as it is in its pure natural state. The Bardstown Bosendorfer was fairly close mic'ed in order to capture the full detail and character of this piano. On sampled pianos that have been mic'ed from a distance you do not hear the full character and detail of the instrument, and distant mic'ed pianos sound rather mushy by comparison and do not sit very well in a mix with other instruments. With a sampled piano such as the Bardstown Bosendorfer that has been close mic'ed, you have a piano that not only sits extremely well in a mix with other instruments, but you can also apply your own low pass filtering and ambience in order to have a soft and mellow sounding piano for solo classical, new age, and soft ballad music. When low pass filtering is applied to the Bardstown Bosendorfer, these individual and natural characteristics of certain notes being slightly brighter than other notes are nicely concealed, which makes for a piano that sounds consistent from note to note across the range of the keyboard.

Considering the Bardstown Bosendorfer sounds amazingly beautiful in its pure and natural unprocessed state, I elected not to process the samples of this piano with any filtering, noise reduction, or any other destructive and permanent effects, thus providing the user with complete flexibility of having a beautiful and completely natural sounding piano that is most playable and sounds like the real Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290. The user has complete flexibility of very easily applying their own low pass filters and ambience to this piano. All samplers have built in low pass filters that are very easily applied in order to make all of the notes on the Bardstown Bosendorfer sound consistent with each other and without having notes that tend to be a bit brighter than some of the other notes. In addition to low pass filters that are built into these samplers, you can also insert a filter/EQ plugin on the track as well. As with any filter EQ plugin, you need to make sure that you set the frequency response of the plugin to low pass filter mode with the click of a mouse, where you have a downward slope on the right side of the frequency band.

You can always add filtering and ambience to a piano, but if filtering and/or ambience is added to the samples, you can never remove this filtering and ambience from the piano. Once filtering is permanently added to any recorded samples, it is there forever and cannot be removed.

Occasionally I encounter people who do not have proper digital synchronization with their audio hardware, which can cause negative artifacts on certain frequencies. I have written an article on this subject which is on my web site. For those interested in reading about this important topic, here is the link to that article...
http://www.bardstownaudio.com/frames/tech.html

Kindest regards,

Kip McGinnis
Bardstown Audio
www.bardstownaudio.com

Dear Kip,

How much time was spent sampling Boesendorfer Model 290 and how many people were involved in the project?

Thanks,
George.
4Front software

Bardstown Audio wrote:....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290...Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....Bosendorfer Imperial Model 290....
I bet you have a macro, Control-B or something, for that phrase :D

Serious, thanks for the explanation and sounds like a pretty cool job.

V.

Hi George,

The actual sample recording process of this Bosendorfer took a very long fourteen hour day, with the assistance of a highly qualified piano technician friend of mine from Germany who extensively tuned this piano just before the sample recording process began. My lady friend watched the meters for me in order to insure that I was getting as hot a signal as possible without clipping while I played all of the notes for full duration at all velocities and articulations of pedal up, pedal down, and release note off.

The actual editing process of this piano took me personally over a year to complete.

TennesseeVic, thanks for your compliments!

All the best,

Kip McGinnis
Bardstown Audio
www.bardstownaudio.com

Wow if your friend is from Germany then they must be one of the very best piano tuner. ROFL!!! :lol: :lol:

Obviously Bardstown Audio pays attention to detail. :ud: Since the piano tuner is from Germany (which mean they must be the best) I think I'll have to check out the Music Tech Magazine demo thingy and see if it's worth buying the full version.

ps. I'd sure hate to be a piano tuner from somewhere like Mozambique, I'd never get any respect.

I guess that from Mozambique you'd better look for a multisampled sanza...or a balafon (U know, the african pentatonic xylophone !) rather than a piano... :P

I'm just grateful you had it tuned.. :D

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”