Basic Guidelines

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When you're asking about how to design a certain sound, keep a few things in consideration.

• Technical Questions
    1. Always upload an example of the sound you're trying to recreate. It's not enough to simply say, "I want to try and get that lead that Mauro Picotto used in Komodo. By example, a 5-10 second clip of the sound should suffice.

2. If you don't already know where to host your files, here is a small tutorial: find a hoster of your choice from this list, go to that site, upload your example, then post the link in your question post. DO NOT use YouSendIt or other time-limited services. I have found that the best hosters are Rapidshare, FileFront, Files.to, and MegaUpload.
  • Thread Formatting
    1. Try to make your subject line as precise as possible. Titles such as "Rob Mayth Bass" are BAD. A good thread title would be "Rob Mayth - Can I Get A Witness Bassline Sound Design".

2. Your post should include the link (and please, make it a hyperlink by adding before it and after it: it will make many more people help you out) to your sound as the first thing, followed by your precise question.

3. Keep some ideas in mind when you are writing your post:

- Avoid using useless adjectives to describe the sound (vibrant, best, worst, singable, clear, etc.). Asking how to design the lushest pad is a waste of everyone's time. Instead, use "main", "the sound at the forefront of the song", the "bassline in the background", "the string pads" etc.

- Try to give a small list of the VST/instrument you plan to use/want to use.

- Include as much information as you can about what you want.

4. Here is an example post:

Title: Cascada - Miracle - Main Saw Lead Design Help

Content: [[insert the link to your sound example here]]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me design an Albino preset for recreating Cascada's lead in the song Miracle. What FX and which waveforms do they use?
This list is open to corrections/replacement if necessary. But please, keep these things in mind. People will help out much more if you give them a precise question with lots of information.

Now, get on with posting sound design questions

-Darryl a.k.a. Elakhna
Last edited by Elakhna on Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Use light-colored lettering on this forum's dark background. If you use something like a dark red or blue, the rest of us can't read it and will ignore your post.

Return to “Sound Design”