Is it ok to make lots of stuff?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sl23 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:12 pmWhy am I here? :dog:
FRs
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Your sarcasm knows no bounds! ;)

sl23 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:32 amYour sarcasm knows no bounds! ;)
It's on the wishlist
Last edited by Michael L on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:07 am I started making music a year ago and Ive just completely fallen in love. I had a guitar setup for a couple years that eventually ended up in a pawn shop and that was my entire exposure to music. I've made 60+ tracks, 4 hours or so of "music" which ive mixed and distributed. It's not great and could use a metronome but a metronome f**ks me up. Is it a joke or insulting to musicians for someone to just come along and do a brain dump as they learn. The only thing that plays me is Pandora and then I don't even know why. I think if I stopped and tried to make the best music I would be dead before I learned how to read music but maybe I'm making too much bad stuff. Just curious if other people just send it or are really reserved with what they actually share? I typically go like 16 hours from jamming to mixed some form of video and uploaded everywhere.
Everything you describe is strictly forbidden. I'm sorry.

Michael L wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:49 am
sl23 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:32 amYour sarcasm knows no bounds! ;)
It's on the wishlist
your sarcasm is on the wishlist?! Now you're just bein' weird! :o

It's the lowest form of... Well, ya know!

What's good and bad in art is highly subjective. I am not impressed by either Mona Lisa or a lot of the popular music nowadays. Make stuff you like.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:07 am I started making music a year ago and Ive just completely fallen in love. I had a guitar setup for a couple years that eventually ended up in a pawn shop and that was my entire exposure to music. I've made 60+ tracks, 4 hours or so of "music" which ive mixed and distributed. It's not great and could use a metronome but a metronome f**ks me up. Is it a joke or insulting to musicians for someone to just come along and do a brain dump as they learn. The only thing that plays me is Pandora and then I don't even know why. I think if I stopped and tried to make the best music I would be dead before I learned how to read music but maybe I'm making too much bad stuff. Just curious if other people just send it or are really reserved with what they actually share? I typically go like 16 hours from jamming to mixed some form of video and uploaded everywhere.
I would go into a few points here:
"Metronomes"
They aren't your enemies nor saviours, they are just good indicator of where you start heading to - if you're getting significantly slower or faster or if you can keep it groovy and steady.
You can practice them by training to play the subdivisions with your right hand and after you can keep them steady, you can try to bring in some stops and pauses.
Since you're very dedicated I think you are able to learn it in less then a month.
Just consider it less a chore than a game, it helps a lot :)

And they you do it now, there's nothing bad with it, I personally filter and refine the stuff I think is good.
But if you want to let your music become more accessible here are some tools (not rules).

"Tools"
Most humans love to discover patterns or so do our brains.
Only if those patterns become to stale they get boring or just extremely calming.
To break that cycle we can create variations or new parts after 2-3 repititions
to keep the surprises coming our minds are craving to.

You can see it like storytelling: rhythm is your character, the tones in him/her are theyr moods...
But with all tools these are just suggestions. I'd really love to listen to your music too, if possible :)

Starbright wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:52 pm
I would go into a few points here:
"Metronomes"
They aren't your enemies nor saviours, they are just good indicator of where you start heading to - if you're getting significantly slower or faster or if you can keep it groovy and steady.
You can practice them by training to play the subdivisions with your right hand and after you can keep them steady, you can try to bring in some stops and pauses.
Since you're very dedicated I think you are able to learn it in less then a month.
Just consider it less a chore than a game, it helps a lot :)

And they you do it now, there's nothing bad with it, I personally filter and refine the stuff I think is good.
But if you want to let your music become more accessible here are some tools (not rules).

"Tools"
Most humans love to discover patterns or so do our brains.
Only if those patterns become to stale they get boring or just extremely calming.
To break that cycle we can create variations or new parts after 2-3 repititions
to keep the surprises coming our minds are craving to.

You can see it like storytelling: rhythm is your character, the tones in him/her are theyr moods...
But with all tools these are just suggestions. I'd really love to listen to your music too, if possible :)
Well my YouTube is linked below or the same name on any other service. I've still been at it but now that I put together what I worked on over the last 6 months I am going to hopefully start working on some drum and bass type stuff although I'm not sure how I'm going to do it! I do plan to work more in the piano roll and making loops and clips to do the Ableton work flow thing.

Gavin Getsit
https://www.youtube.com/@gavingetsit

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”