Pulsar Modular P450/P455 MDN Plugin Bundle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm "Where did Pulsar Modular injure you?"
I guess "pain and suffering", due to the overpriced plugins.
https://www.pulsarmodular.com/
Pulsar Modular
The Sound is... UNBELIEVABLE!

bmanic wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:50 pm
stillenacht wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 am
Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:09 pm
stillenacht wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am The DSP module was only added to JUCE recently, it’s a bit like using Synthedit.
Who told you this? Do you use JUCE?

I guess a better question would be: if I gave you $500, would you make P450/P455 for me? ;)
Heres his dev saying "I used almost all of the filter types in JUCE"

https://forum.juce.com/t/highpass-filte ... cies/54987

Heres an an example where hes using the code for one of them

https://forum.juce.com/t/juce-filters-i ... knob/46869

I raised this with P900 on GS last year, to not even acknowledge its there beats the hell out of me.
I have absolutely no idea why you are pursuing these things and why you are taking things completely out of context.

Are you now going to start questioning all the chefs on this planet who use common spices in their foods? Heck, that's not even a good example as spices aren't integral to making food, whereas filters are at the very core of any kind of audio/electric engineering.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Basic filter topologies are the backbone of any audio processing, be it in DSP or not. A Butterworth filter is a Butterworth filter, analog or digital. A Bessel filter is a Bessel filter, analog or digital. If you keep going down your completely absurd path of reasoning, you'll end up in the 19th century where some of the OG geniuses came up with the math that lies behind all of this. So what if somebody copy/pastes a very basic building block that has been used forever by literally everybody else? Somebody somewhere invented the use of pepper as a spice in foods! Who cares!? The only thing that matters is the end result.

Even you should be able to run P455 through Plugin Doctor and see that it's a rather complex beast under the surface. There's stuff actually happening in it, stuff you can CLEARLY HEAR if you'd just bother. Whether you like it or not is entirely subjective but you can't deny the objective things. There is no snake-oil to be found here. It does what it advertises. It EQs, it filters, it compresses, it creates harmonic distortion (very complex distortion at that!), it creates some stereo separation using all manner of strange methods.. so it really does what it advertises.

So WTF are you getting at? Are you desperately trying to run a smear campaign against P900? Your efforts are as futile as the efforts of people trying to ridicule developers who use Synth Edit to create awesome little gems, even when they use CK libraries or heck even the stock modules. Same goes for Reaktor stuff, using the built in macros or old high level components instead of the more complex low-level blocks. Nobody sane gives a shit. If a synth is good and it works without issues, it's good!.

.. as @pekbro said more than a week ago in this thread, and I quote:
pekbro wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:26 am I don't think they actually model anything or use convolution, seems to me like he just does whatever he wants to get the sound he's after, regardless of the technical accuracy. I've only paid a little attention but I've never seen mention of whether there is actual circuit, component modeling or something else going on. Only speculation omp of course. :shrug:
.. could very well be true (probably is!). Nobody cares! The immediately obvious results with even a little testing will show that this is a tool where the sum of the parts makes the whole. And I'll say this once more to be clear: Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, that's the subjective part. The objectively measurable part is undeniable.

The only reason why 'component modeling' has become a synonym for "it's good" is because it usually IS GOOD! That's the relevant part. Especially when somebody like Andrew from Cytomic does it because he goes into every single little damn detail and he does it so incredibly brilliantly! But the absolute end all reason why people care is because the end results SOUND GOOD. Period.

We are soon approaching the time when somebody can just tell an AI "Make me a VST plugin that exactly matches <insert any super good hardware effect or synth here> in all circumstances" and it spits out a perfect carbon copy in digital format. Nobody will care! If it sounds good, THAT is what everybody will be using. Morally this will become a huge issue of course but just like pretty much every damn piece of electronics you own are in part made by slave labor, nobody cares. The end results are what dictate the path going forward. When it all comes crashing down and most of us are dead and buried, perhaps a new path will be forged.. but again, this happens due to the end results! Not because of how it was done. :)

/rant (sorry about that).
The code tells you what he is doing, it means that it took him 18 months to find out from somebody else that this

Code: Select all

dsp::AudioBlock<float>
should be this for internal processing

dsp::AudioBlock<double>
Which takes all of five minutes to look up on a forum, which means he's winging it and doesn't seem to know where the problems are or where to look. All that boring DSP stuff that actually makes a plugin good he likely wont have a clue about. He also updated Abyss with double precision after so I would guess hes using JUCE DSP in there as well.

The prices are there for confirmation bias and is the reason anyone who has bought or is trying to justify the plugin jumps on anyone saying something the least bit unpositive but the code he was using here would be screwing up your audio, why wont he admit to that? Even now the same quantization error and DC offset bugs are being reported with every release, its dirty coding, its a con.

Are you referring to Tracktion Abyss?

stillenacht wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:06 am The code tells you what he is doing, it means that it took him 18 months to find out from somebody else that this

dsp::AudioBlock<float>
should be this for internal processing

dsp::AudioBlock<double>
Which takes all of five minutes to look up on a forum, which means he's winging it and doesn't seem to know where the problems are or where to look. All that boring DSP stuff that actually makes a plugin good he likely wont have a clue about. He also updated Abyss with double precision after so I would guess hes using JUCE DSP in there as well.

The prices are there for confirmation bias and is the reason anyone who has bought or is trying to justify the plugin jumps on anyone saying something the least bit unpositive but the code he was using here would be screwing up your audio, why wont he admit to that? Even now the same quantization error and DC offset bugs are being reported with every release, its dirty coding, its a con.
Let's get you back to your room, friend.

Interesting. I don’t know much about coding and JUCE and DSPs, but I really enjoy making music; for my own personal enjoyment of course.

I’ve been using PM plugins for well over a year now, and it seems to work well with the music that I am making, which is just simple recorded vocals and acoustic guitars. I then use SD3 for drums. Everything works well together and I enjoy using these plugins very much and have not experienced any problems with them like I do with other companies, that have high CPU usage and confusing GUIs. I would not say that any plugin that I own, is the best plugin in the world. That would be a ridiculous statement to make. I would say though that, it all comes down to what plugins you feel comfortable using and helps you to achieve the sound that you want. Some plugins are cheap, and some are crazy expensive it makes you think that the developers could be on magic mushrooms. Like, look at the price of the MAAT eqs, or the Phoenix 2. People love it though. It works for them. Just like this works for me.

Maybe that’s just what it is. Some plugins work for some but not for others. Just like hardware. You wouldn’t go out and buy everything that’s out there. I reckon you would choose what you want and build the chain that you like. Just like software. Find what you love and be happy bro. 😎 Maybe, if you really give it some time, you would find that the whole aspect of your approach here is completely unnecessary and irrelevant.

But if you’re just lonely, I guess this is a good place as any to find someone to talk to. I have so many things on my mind too. Just earlier I was thinking how much fun it would be to ride a unicorn. 🦄

So I went through this entire thread and the one on GS. More theorising here, more examples and useful stuff on GS.

So in GS I leaned that the latest version adds many extra options not available to initial reviewers like disabling the widening, or different kinds of emphasis (the hammer icon).

So I’d say - try it with the 1.5 or above version and then make a comment. Lots of details about what was changed in as in the GS thread.

I tried the plugin and I can replace lots of heavy stuff on my master that take way too much CPU normally. So while it doesn’t sound better than my existing chain, the fact that it can replace most of it and drop CPU on one core from 100% to 30% is huge to me.

So that alone is impressive.

By itself sure, it has a hefty CPU hit but if it can replace many things that all together have a far higher hit, then overall it’s a win.

I like to combine it with the Sonimus N-Console.

Another dev that seems hated because they weren’t offering demos in this case. But I like the N-Console.

Return to “Effects”