VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lol, I suspect he's doing pretty well in the 'proper tools' dept. :lol:

jens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:45 pm
Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:58 pm
equisonus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:10 pm The difference is probably a placebo
We can all hear that bmanic did a great mix with it.
Yeah, but I have zero doubt that he would have had achieved it just as well without it.

(Just to make sure: this isn't meant as a dis towards the plugin in question - it's just that a) due to a lack of a comparable version of the mix without it and b) trust in bmanic's respective abilities I personally simply see no reason to assume it was the PM plugin making all the difference)
Absolutely. The mix was not "made" by the plugin. Not even close. Like I already said earlier, all the heavy lifting was done by simple standard (boring?) plugins like Kirchoff EQ and Cenozoix compressor. The mix does have a subtle "tint" of the softness that the P455 plugin gives and some of the depth and width from it.. but that's possible to achieve other ways too.

On the plus side, it definitely didn't destroy the mix or sound bad. :)

And most importantly, it's all about the monitoring. I'm not kidding when I'm praising Slate's VSX system. It just clicked for me and I've never felt this comfortable mixing in my entire audio career and I've had pretty decent working spaces in my life. My own studio has an almost flat frequency response (+/- 6dB at worst, 1/3rd smoothing and waterfall plot falls beneath -70dB in less than half a second at it's worst, around 52Hz which is the main big standing wave in the room) yet I feel more confident mixing on VSX even after spending 15+ years in the same space with similar monitoring over the years (always had Genelecs, currently on the 8k system).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Barbarossa wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:59 pm Or what about the inability to hear what it does soundwise?
There's one perspective you aren't considering. It's very possible people are hearing a difference but it may be too small for them to be bothered with it. Not everybody cares for nuanced things or "finesse" as it could be called, and that is a perfectly viable way to work. I know quite a few people who like brute forcing things and not obsessing over details at all.

In fact, this very discussion has sometimes come up when I was working as a chef back in the day. Some people just "wing it" and are exceptionally good at it while others care about every tiny nuance and detail, getting their work done that way.. yet the end result can be equally excellent both ways.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

SV1080 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:45 am I see. So a famous and successful mixer, who built his reputation over more than 2 decades is now so fed up with his life and desperate for money he teams up with the only developer that is evil enough and has the worst ethics of any human in history, plus is the only developer EVER on record to mention his plugins are like hardware.

This Evil duo then create a plugin so expensive it makes MAAT digitals $589 Orange EQ cry with shame. But wait there's more... This plugin actually does nothing, thins out most sources, has a shit compressor, EQ and filters are nothing special, plus there is no mojo.

The really clever part is that the plugin is able to convince not just the susceptible user that their mix sounds better, but also weak minded people who have the misfortune to listen are also tricked by this Evil placebo mind control plugin.

So that is plausible to some of you, and Pulsar Modular making a decent plugin is impossible?

Alrighty then 😂😂😂
When Marketing Collides with Drama. :hihi:

And now let’s see what’s going on here:
Barbarossa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:25 am and many mixes are popping up like never before when a channelstrip was released
Yeah, even more of the same drama :hihi:
Monitors: HS7 / Mixing: Cubase Pro 13 / Mastering: WaveLab Pro 11.2 / Sound Design: Live 12 Suite

SV1080 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:45 am I see. So a famous and successful mixer, who built his reputation over more than 2 decades is now so fed up with his life and desperate for money he teams up with the only developer that is evil enough and has the worst ethics of any human in history, plus is the only developer EVER on record to mention his plugins are like hardware.

This Evil duo then create a plugin so expensive it makes MAAT digitals $589 Orange EQ cry with shame. But wait there's more... This plugin actually does nothing, thins out most sources, has a shit compressor, EQ and filters are nothing special, plus there is no mojo.

The really clever part is that the plugin is able to convince not just the susceptible user that their mix sounds better, but also weak minded people who have the misfortune to listen are also tricked by this Evil placebo mind control plugin.

So that is plausible to some of you, and Pulsar Modular making a decent plugin is impossible?

Alrighty then 😂😂😂
Well this sums it up very well indeed.

BTW i am out, this is futile.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:06 pm
midi sentinel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 pm It's a hobby. And it makes you feel special. And it's ok. Just don't turn it into a cult.
AFAIR, the "cult" members in this thread were put on the defensive, not the other way around. While being defensive isn't great (what exactly are you defending here?), it'd be better if we just didn't attack people in the first place.
For being caught out? The DSP module was only added to JUCE recently, its a bit like using Synthedit. Would people really be paying $200-$350 for a Synthedit plugin without at least knowing what is original about it? But then you still need to know a few DSP basics with JUCE DSP otherwise you can cock it up, which he did. Perhaps peoples eyes glaze over when they see a bit of code but any JUCE hobbyist could tell you what this stuff is.

bmanic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:12 am In fact, this very discussion has sometimes come up when I was working as a chef back in the day. Some people just "wing it" and are exceptionally good at it while others care about every tiny nuance and detail, getting their work done that way.. yet the end result can be equally excellent both ways.
I think, if you could have achieved similar results without the P455, then the mix without it would also sound like a record. And although I believe, that you maybe could replicate it with lots of plugins and A/Bing, I think it is not a valid criteria: what is important is, that things simply work by delivering the best results with a minimum of effort. Which - ironically- is equally important for professionals and amateurs alike: for the former time is money and for the latter great results work as reference anchors and therefore are great training to the ears.

I remember when Antares brought out the microphone modeller and I thought, while frickling around, that I will master my vocals with it, because I was capable to hear how horrible transients the china mics are producing and I avoided that. Until a few days later the chance opened up to use a better mic through an Avalon. It immediately sounded like from a record. Will never forget that. Still lacking the fine tuning, but the crucial aspect out of nowwhere suddenly was there.
Maybe an Andrew Scheps can somehow create with a dozen plugins that sound, but I have never seen it, heard it, and - most importantly - I know that I can't. I need the hw. And if I can't, I am quite confident, that amateurs can't, too.

Sorrry, but I do not buy into the "talent" myth. A lot depends more on how much you want to achieve. If its only a hobby, then fun and personal feelings ofcourse are enough. Talent may even be the most important factor.
But this is a highly competitive business and I have never met a single person not being a perfectionist, which means caring about the tiny details. Which leads me back to the groundbreaking P455.

stillenacht wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am The DSP module was only added to JUCE recently, it’s a bit like using Synthedit.
Who told you this? Do you use JUCE?

I guess a better question would be: if I gave you $500, would you make P450/P455 for me? ;)

Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:09 pm
stillenacht wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:10 am The DSP module was only added to JUCE recently, it’s a bit like using Synthedit.

I guess a better question would be: if I gave you $500, would you make P450/P455 for me? ;)
I will. $500 up front, though. No refunds.
A well-behaved signature.

Love the plugin. Makes my music sound better.

Heres his dev saying "I used almost all of the filter types in JUCE"

https://forum.juce.com/t/highpass-filte ... cies/54987

Heres an an example where hes using the code for one of them

https://forum.juce.com/t/juce-filters-i ... knob/46869

I raised this with P900 on GS last year, to not even acknowledge its there beats the hell out of me.

stillenacht wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 am

Heres his dev saying "I used almost all of the filter types in JUCE"

https://forum.juce.com/t/highpass-filte ... cies/54987

Heres an an example where hes using the code for one of them

https://forum.juce.com/t/juce-filters-i ... knob/46869

I raised this with P900 on GS last year, to not even acknowledge its there beats the hell out of me.
I would never expect a developer to publicly acknowledge anything about the actual code and how the sausage is made. That’s none of my business.

The proof is in the listening. Load up a demo of Pulsar Modular’s P565 Siren Filter Set. (They have an excellent demo policy). Work the filters every which way you can. What do you hear? Do you like it over Waves Metafilter? Do you think Cytomic’s The Drop has got you covered? Then purchase or don’t purchase and share your thoughts for all to hear. But you don’t get to be some internal auditor of the line by line code used.

stillenacht wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 am Heres his dev saying "I used almost all of the filter types in JUCE"
That’s out of context. He’s saying he tried them all and they all have a problem with peaking at 10Hz. He’s not saying he used all the filters in their plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:45 pm
Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:58 pm
equisonus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:10 pm The difference is probably a placebo
We can all hear that bmanic did a great mix with it.
Yeah, but I have zero doubt that he would have had achieved it just as well without it.

(Just to make sure: this isn't meant as a dis towards the plugin in question - it's just that a) due to a lack of a comparable version of the mix without it and b) trust in bmanic's respective abilities I personally simply see no reason to assume it was the PM plugin making all the difference)
So, let me try to understand what you are saying.

1. Bmanic has great skill at mixing, which implies he has 'good ears.'
2. Bmanic made great sounding mixes to demo the plugin in question.
3. He could have made a great mix using any plugin.
4. He is saying this is a great plugin.
5. Bmanic, therefore, can make great mixes with anything, but does not have the capacity to understand if a tool is good or not.
OR 5. Bmanic is a dreaded shill.

Do I understand your message?

Return to “Effects”