Sequential Trigon 6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Congratulations! She's a beauty.
<list your stupid gear here>

Trigon GAS reignited :phones: :love:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

My second hand unit came loaded with patch banks from GEOSynths from 100-200,
All of Jexus banks from 200-350, and another third party patch bank on 400 onwards

The Jexus banks are much in lower in average volume than the other banks and presets.
They sound and have the same impression as on his Youtube demos.
So if you want to know what it sounds like with lower oscillator levels, then his Youtube videos provide a window into that Boards of Canada feel.

Made a patch last night using the reverse sawtooth, from oscillator 3, mixed with the regular sawtooth waveform on oscillator 1 trick, from the Minimoog to create a Pulse Width Modulation type sound.

Woke up this morning and jammed with it. raw jam, dry, straight into audio interface

So creamy, reminds me of the SE Code 8 I once had

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... se-saw-jam

Doing monosynth things with it's arp and sequencer, but with the added benefit of a long release and polyphony. Using the 12db filter here.

Maybe I don't need a PRO 3 anymore

I am finding the effects pretty sterile though.
Compared to the Polybrute's and Prologue's sweet and lush sounding digital effects and Matrixbrute's vibey analog BBD effects it's big let down

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... p-poly-seq

The Trigon-6 to my ears sounds like a Sequential take on the Memorymoog.
I think the filter on the MM might be more insane, but I'm hoping the local synth shop gets one to mess around with. I own a Memorymoog, it sounds great, it's also a 40 year old synth that is in the shop right now, and only one guy locally can fix it, he's cheap, but takes months, up to 9 in the past to do so.

I really don't get these modern Sequential analog synths including the Prophet 6, OB6, and Trigon 6. The lack of a small OLED display is beyond stupid. A single LFO is even dumber. And the super limited "Poly Mod" section is no substitute for a proper mod matrix. Oh and a 4 octave keyboard and 6 voices of polyphony in 2023? You're joking, right?

If the keyboards cost $1,000 and the modules $800, I might be willing to cut them some slack. But even then I would never consider buying one in their current form with no display, a single LFO, and no mod matrix.

These may be the dumbest modern synthesizers on the market.
Last edited by Bye Bye Love on Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinking logically, I may swap to Trigon desktop module later on if one shows up, and then I can use the space for a Pro 3 or something else.
And have the Trigon module sit above it on a laptop stand

If not a Pro 3, then the Waldorf Iridium could replace my Hydrasynth Explorer, for the same functionality Poly Aftertouch controller, but with full size keys in that space slot, and better synthesis options and sound quality.
Prefer a Waldorf Quantum Mk2 but she won't fit there I don't think, but maybe my Korg Prologue 16 could, and swap their positions, but it's an extra 7cm wider, and 4cm deeper than the Trigon.

Although I do have rechargable batteries inside my Hydrasynth Explorer that last 5 hours, so it's nifty having a portable synth and controller

But the Trigon keyboard is pretty and great feeling as well
The light coloured wood has an Ikea vibe 8)

Starting to become synth Tetris now :cry:

CoolColJ wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:54 pm Starting to become synth Tetris now :cry:
Story of my life! :cry: I’ve been trying to figure out how to cram a Trigon desktop into my studio ever since it was released. :bang: :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Bye Bye Love wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:49 am I really don't get these modern Sequential analog synths including the Prophet 6, OB6, and Trigon 6.
There's nothing to discuss here, you flatly don't get it, that's fine, but like most people that don't understand a concept you're more than willing to make weird equivalencies to back it up.

Here's a solid equivalency. I don't get why modern DAWs like Bitwig and Live do not support SysEx for example, but the whole idea with these DAWs is a (sort of) anti bloatware concept, it's about a certain workflow, the opposite of kitchen sink DAWs like Reaper where you have options to completely customize it from the ground up, you're almost forced to think about how you want to work. Live in particular has a singular workflow, you either love it or you move on to other DAWs.

So, you either love the limitations or you hate them, I can't make you understand that concept,

I think he actually has a point though (apart from the Hye Park Corner esque detour). A single LFO is always waste of potential.

Except that they all have two LFOs (albeit at the expense of one oscillator).

cryophonik wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:28 pm Except that they all have two LFOs (albeit at the expense of one oscillator).
Yep, it’s basically a Memorymoog design, down to the dirty filter and voice modulation. Im curious to play with one and see how close.

24db filter vs 12db filter mode, with filter feedback and high resonance.

I love the 12db filter mode, it gets squelchy wet, and can do a decent TB-303 impersonation 8)

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... h-feedback

Yeah, the 12dB filter sounds juicy and sweet! If only the Trigon had the Pro 3’s sequencer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”