how can i record/create a thick clap like this?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vocode a sample of someone crunching up fresh celery stalks, with a sample of someone crushing a brick with a sledge hammer. Then, add that special "something extra" with a convolution reverb processor. Instead of using the Taj Mahal or Syndney Opera House impulses, use an "impulse file" consisting of someone smashing potatoe chips in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Then add some standard slapback echoes, and sweeten to taste.

It's all pretty standard proceedure, really.

:wink:
McLilith

ahah...sounds good, scarily!

Voidoid Surrealist wrote:Have you tried asking a thick person to clap for you?
Absolutely LOL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Session clappers. Now *there's* a concept

:hihi:
.. there is a tide in the affairs of men which, if taken at the flood,
will totally f**k your beach pavillion ...........

McLilith wrote:Vocode a sample of someone crunching up fresh celery stalks, with a sample of someone crushing a brick with a sledge hammer. Then, add that special "something extra" with a convolution reverb processor. Instead of using the Taj Mahal or Syndney Opera House impulses, use an "impulse file" consisting of someone smashing potatoe chips in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Then add some standard slapback echoes, and sweeten to taste.

It's all pretty standard proceedure, really.

:wink:
McLilith
f**k ! How the hell did you know how I did the clap on "House in the Sun" ?

Take mic. Press record. Take hands and clap. Layer to suit taste.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

ChrisE wrote:Session clappers. Now *there's* a concept

There most definitely are session clappers. :wink: You might remember this odd little novelty song, by Napoleon. It was titled They're Coming To Take Me Away. That song had people slapping their bare thighs, to create the sound of two claps per person.

You can read the whole story of how it was recorded here:

They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-haaa

Making the song is a bizarre story. Just imagine showing up at a recording studio to be a session clapper, and the man at the studio tells everyone to stand in a semi-circle around his Neumann, drop their pants, and start slapping their bare thighs. :-o

McLilith

i've been attempting to perfect this trendy clap for a while and ive produced quite a few renditions of this effect.. Maybe i should post them.. No webspace :?
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY wrote:i've been attempting to perfect this trendy clap for a while and ive produced quite a few renditions of this effect.. Maybe i should post them.. No webspace :?
If you want to share, you should be able to post them here:

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/

I see there is a category for "Samples n Loops" which should be just what you are looking for.

Take care,
McLilith

ChrisE wrote:
Voidoid Surrealist wrote:Have you tried asking a thick person to clap for you?
Absolutely LOL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Session clappers. Now *there's* a concept

I invited some over to my house once, and the lights kept flickering...

Voidoid Surrealist wrote:
ChrisE wrote: Session clappers. Now *there's* a concept

I invited some over to my house once, and the lights kept flickering...
You wanna check out those circuit-breaker thingy's in the box over your storm-porch, Voidoid, man ....................

:D

"What's the sound of one hand clapping"

"A drummer holding a pint of whiskey?"

Just wear a pair of these:

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY wrote:i've been attempting to perfect this trendy clap for a while and ive produced quite a few renditions of this effect.. Maybe i should post them.. No webspace :?
help! how!

Meffy wrote:Just wear a pair of these:

GRRRRRRR!! YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY! WHEN HULK ANGRY, HE SING FILK!

....... drifting away just for a few seconds from Meffy and Voidoid's green-fist
fantasies :lol: , there is a lot more to recording claps than you may imagine.

Once you have your *session clapper* in da house, using a close large diaphragm capacitor mic is a big NO-NO. Something like a Beyer Opus53 used side-fire is much better. Otherwise you will get an air rush instead of the proper transient that goes with a clap. It's psychoacoustics, again, I'm afraid. We almost never hear a hand clap at close distance in the natural world. The transient which we hear has always been damped.

Hope this helps someone.

:)

Return to “Production Techniques”