Is it ok to make lots of stuff?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:26 am
Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:49 amI'll message you im a shy dude.
Not too shy, you've put a metric shit-ton of stuff up on YouTube.
My tentative idea was always to just reboot under a different project if I found a genre I really wanted to stay inside of and felt like I was accomplishing that sound but yea I'm kinda spamming.

Michael L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:32 am
Gavincoolguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 am deadmau5 started out making a track a day
That's really interesting I'll have to see if I can track some of his stuff down when he was working at that pace and maybe I will be able to hear what he was working towards.
https://soundcloud.com/kujsp/deadmau5-c ... %201995%5D
He had a clear vision and made decisions really fast, going through kick samples like flipping cards until he found the right one, etc. There is a lot to be said for working fast enough to keep an idea alive.
That was a reallllly solid sound for a first effort dude is obviously gifted.

Really? I made hours of tapes as bad as that before I ever came up with a proper song. It's just a simple, boring idea flogged beyond it's expiry date. Some of your stuff is way better than that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My opinion is to leave the floods gates open and just go.

Refining the process will either happen organically or maybe it just never will.

Still, the ideas are always things to come back to years later when you get stuck and need a bit of inspiration, which might be as simple as just remembering how fun and effortless it used to be.

Basically, when you want different or want more, you try it when you’re ready for change. Until then… just keep going.

Most of the Cosmos is already made, so it would really just be some sprinkles on top.

havran wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:45 amMost of the Cosmos is already made, so it would really just be some sprinkles on top.
So don't overthink it.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Making lots of stuff is a good way to improve as long as each new piece stretches you in some way. Try a new tool, a different scale, a different arrangement, a different structure, a different time signature... Or just trying to get a bit more mix clarity, better mono compatibility, better translation across different speakers...

Balanced against that: if you have an artistic idea you want to get out there, it's best not to sit on it too long!

Michael L wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am
havran wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:45 amMost of the Cosmos is already made, so it would really just be some sprinkles on top.
So don't overthink it.
Overthinking happens.

@Gavincoolguy, sorry for my inconsiderate reply.

An approach that some musicians and poets take is to make lots of stuff behind the scenes, and then choose a few of the best ones to present to the public.

One advantage is that the artist is not held back from experimentation or just noodling around by the thought that every new project or experiment or attempt must necessarily result in a great and publishable piece.

havran wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:19 pm @Gavincoolguy, sorry for my inconsiderate reply.

An approach that some musicians and poets take is to make lots of stuff behind the scenes, and then choose a few of the best ones to present to the public.

One advantage is that the artist is not held back from experimentation or just noodling around by the thought that every new project or experiment or attempt must necessarily result in a great and publishable piece.
No problem at all. I never really considered that mindset and always thought of it as more of a marketing issue. Certainly something to consider.

havran wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:07 pm
So don't overthink it.
Overthinking happens
& it's sadly inessential since the Cosmos has been so thoroughly thought through.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:36 pm
So don't overthink it.
Overthinking happens
& it's sadly inessential since the Cosmos has been so thoroughly thought through.
Screenshot_2023-08-04-12-27-46-052~2.jpg
Screenshot_2023-08-03-22-10-37-765.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:17 pm
Michael L wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:36 pm
So don't overthink it.
Overthinking happens
Screenshot_2023-08-04-12-27-46-052~2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-03-22-10-37-765.jpg
YES!!!
Wherever you look, you see the Mind of the Cosmos talking to you.
So still your mind, and let your DAW be a Ouija Board for the Cosmic Mind to speak through you!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

my DAW says:

gotta get some
gotta gotta get some
ooh get some
oh...
oh some, gotta getcha!

nix808 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:17 pm my DAW says:

gotta get some
gotta gotta get some