LinnStrument Anker PowerCore+ Mini Holder

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gromit42 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:59 am
FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:54 am
Gromit42 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:34 amFor folks who are finding the battery to be sliding in the holder, maybe a strip of thin rubber sheet (0.5mm thick?) about 5mm wide and the length of the battery would help? This could be glued along the inside of the holder, in the base of the "C" shape, to add friction?
Maybe, but the current battery holder has very tight tolerances, and it would be difficult to slide the battery in and out.
Oops! I do not have the Anker battery or a Geert Bevin designed holder.
I assumed that the battery snapped into the holder. My bad! :(
Yes, and there are other issues with the battery holder too. You can only insert the battery in one direction, with the flat side first, because if you try to slide in the other side with the USB port instead, there is no clearance to insert the USB cable due to the partially raised side of the battery holder blocking entry, which also prevents access to the power button.

From what I understand, even the Anker PowerCore 5000 is delisted from Anker's website, so I highly suggest proactively choosing a different powerbank for longer product support. There are a few similar options from Anker: Either one will require a new battery holder design. Even so, it is evidently clear that the "lipstick" batteries from Anker are not popular enough to keep them listed.

There are lots of different options designed for guitarist's wireless transmitter packs. Maybe use one of those to carry a battery for the LinnStrument rather than attach a battery to the LinnStrument itself?

Gromit42 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 am There are lots of different options designed for guitarist's wireless transmitter packs. Maybe use one of those to carry a battery for the LinnStrument rather than attach a battery to the LinnStrument itself?
Each LinnStrument model has a limited number of inputs to power it:
  • Both LinnStrument models - USB-B port
  • Exclusive to the LinnStrument (200) - barrel jack, Type M (2.1mm I.D., 5.5mm O.D.)
Guitar wireless systems use a 1/4" TS plug, so to push your concept to its limitations, requires an adapter to either of these two inputs. That means a 1/4" TS Female to USB-B Male, or 1/4" TS Female to barrel Type M. Such products do not exist on the consumer market.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:05 am
Gromit42 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:18 am There are lots of different options designed for guitarist's wireless transmitter packs. Maybe use one of those to carry a battery for the LinnStrument rather than attach a battery to the LinnStrument itself?
Each LinnStrument model has a limited number of inputs to power it:
  • Both LinnStrument models - USB-B port
  • Exclusive to the LinnStrument (200) - barrel jack, Type M (2.1mm I.D., 5.5mm O.D.)
Guitar wireless systems use a 1/4" TS plug, so to push your concept to its limitations, requires an adapter to either of these two inputs. That means a 1/4" TS Female to USB-B Male, or 1/4" TS Female to barrel Type M. Such products do not exist on the consumer market.
You seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent. :)
I merely meant that one could maybe use the device which attaches the wireless pack to the guitar strap to hold a battery instead to power the LinnStrument. There might be a pouch or some strap-type device for the wireless pack where one could install a battery instead.
Maybe something like The Strap-Fold for example?
The power lead from the battery to the Linnstrument would be whatever lead fits the purpose depending on whether one has a LS128 (USB-B only) or a LS200 (USB-B or power barrel jack plug).
Edit: The wireless MIDI function would still be via a CME WIDI Master plugged into the LinnStrument's MIDI Out DIN socket.

I understand what you mean now. Using a bodypack/wireless transmitter pouch containing a power bank attached to a guitar strap on the LinnStrument (128) could work, but it is also comparable to placing a power bank in any of your pockets and connecting it to the LinnStrument (128). The main appeal with the 3D-printed battery holder is that it is a custom-fitted solution that has decent integration with the LinnStrument (128).

Agreed that it appears that the Powercore 5000 is also being discontinued, although I was still able to get one in late June 2023. Once I get that holder dialed in, it should be easy to modify the design for other battery models. I am running a 2nd revision prototype as we speak, so should have an update shortly.

philouba wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:21 pm Agreed that it appears that the Powercore 5000 is also being discontinued, although I was still able to get one in late June 2023. Once I get that holder dialed in, it should be easy to modify the design for other battery models. I am running a 2nd revision prototype as we speak, so should have an update shortly.
Great, thank you for your hard work. They are still available on other retail sites for the time being, but I am confident that this is the last inventory being cleared out for Anker's other popular products.

I think I'll change to using one zip tie in the center of the battery body to secure it. Two seems overkill. This one is made from PETG, but I think PLA would be okay too. It also can be printed as a mirror image so the cable exits from the bottom. I will look into a way to share the STL file - maybe I can do it here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

philouba wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:23 pm I think I'll change to using one zip tie in the center of the battery body to secure it. Two seems overkill. This one is made from PETG, but I think PLA would be okay too. It also can be printed as a mirror image so the cable exits from the bottom. I will look into a way to share the STL file - maybe I can do it here?
One zip tie could make sense, but it will need a firmer grip against the smooth cylindrical body of the Anker PowerCore 5000. Geert uses Polymaker Polymax PLA for the original battery holder. You may want to create a separate thread for your STL file since your battery holder is for a different Anker product.

I do not think the zip tie for the USB cable is necessary, because USB Micro B has two teeth to hook into the port of the battery to increase the difficulty of it accidentally coming out. However, it may have a larger impact with the Anker 321 Power Bank (PowerCore 5K) or Anker 511 Power Bank (PowerCore Fusion 5K) since they both use USB-C cables instead, which have no teeth to secure a grip to their respective ports. Even then, all USB cables have some passive resistance to being pulled out of ports.

Good idea to create a separate post for this holder, will do. The holder has lips on both ends, and the cylindrical cavity wraps more than 180 degrees around the battery, so it snaps in pretty securely, even without zip ties. The connector for power output on the Powercore 5000 is USB Type A. The charge port is USB micro B. It is because of the earlier posts about using the Linnstrument on a guitar strap that I added the loops for zip ties :)

philouba wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:12 am Good idea to create a separate post for this holder, will do. The holder has lips on both ends, and the cylindrical cavity wraps more than 180 degrees around the battery, so it snaps in pretty securely, even without zip ties. The connector for power output on the Powercore 5000 is USB Type A. The charge port is USB micro B. It is because of the earlier posts about using the Linnstrument on a guitar strap that I added the loops for zip ties :)
Right, as long as the battery holder's tolerances are tight, then both lips and one zip tie should be snug enough to secure the battery. Somehow I forgot about the USB-A port on the battery, but my point about limited passive resistance still stands. If there is space for it, like this revision, then securing the USB cable will help, but I am not sure if the other Anker products will be eligible for these benefits due to their dimensions being different.

I appreciate your hard work towards keeping this portable LinnStrument concept relevant.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”