UVI Falcon 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alive - UVI Falcon Expansion Massive X

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:46 pm In List View you can copy, paste, duplicate, delete, change keygroup ranges and so on.
Shouldn't you be able to do it from a single view though? My first moment of confusion with Falcon was as to why you can't do those things in tree view, since tree view has all the info.

Falcon almost became my go-to percussion instrument, but the inability to drag-reorder layers and keygroups made it too awkward to organise things.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:40 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:46 pm In List View you can copy, paste, duplicate, delete, change keygroup ranges and so on.
Shouldn't you be able to do it from a single view though? My first moment of confusion with Falcon was as to why you can't do those things in tree view, since tree view has all the info.

Falcon almost became my go-to percussion instrument, but the inability to drag-reorder layers and keygroups made it too awkward to organise things.
Maybe it should but I don't care.
For me Falcon is the go-to-machine for almost everything, studio and live so I've adapted to its oddities and don't think about what could be improved unless I do Beta-testing for a new version. The one thing I would love to have is cross-modulation between oscillators but obviously that is not going to happen any time soon. Once I knew Falcon inside out, I found it easy and fast to program and I really appreciate its limitless modulation system and the sonic quality of the individual oscillators and effect modules.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:58 am
chagzuki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:40 am

Maybe it should but I don't care.
For me Falcon is the go-to-machine for almost everything, studio and live so I've adapted to its oddities and don't think about what could be improved unless I do Beta-testing for a new version. The one thing I would love to have is cross-modulation between oscillators but obviously that is not going to happen any time soon. Once I knew Falcon inside out, I found it easy and fast to program and I really appreciate its limitless modulation system and the sonic quality of the individual oscillators and effect modules.
I do believe you that if you invest time on Falcon to learn its intricacies, it is immensely rewarding with a lot of power at finger tips. Not even talking about the scripting power.

If I weren't having phase plant and Avenger 2 I would certainly have spent this time.
Now I am "just" using it as a gateway to the UVI superb soundwares and the capacity to modify presets in a very deep way.
Still one of my favourite tool in my setup.

Has anyone gotten Drag n Drop to Falcon from Reaper's timeline to work in Falcon? Seems like a crapshoot which vsts work in Reaper this way, I know you have to hold ctrl alt and drag, Falcon seems to not recognize this.

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 am If I weren't having phase plant and Avenger 2 I would certainly have spent this time.
Now I am "just" using it as a gateway to the UVI superb soundwares and the capacity to modify presets in a very deep way.
Still one of my favourite tool in my setup.
Yeah, I tend to reach for Falcon only if I've hit a limitation in another synth which I know Falcon exceeds, usually something to do with alternating sounds via layer rules, specific panning of pads etc., usually non-standard pad or key patches which require a bit of programming. I also like it a lot for percussion, but just wish I could easily reorder layers and keygroups easily, to clean up the mess I make in the experimental stage, or just to be able to experiment more freely.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 am I do believe you that if you invest time on Falcon to learn its intricacies, it is immensely rewarding with a lot of power at finger tips. Not even talking about the scripting power.
Nobody said Falcon is not powerful. But IT IS equally frustrating, especially for advanced users - precisely the type of users it is targeted towards. And even more when it sells for a lot of money. If it was a free synth, yeah, free is free. But if you want to have a successful business you have to listen to your advanced users and improve the product, especially on the pain points that everyone agrees upon. And improve it in current version, DO NOT use bad design in v3 to upsell to version 4. That's just rude and very very unprofessional.

Falcon has a long history of free and plentiful upgrades so I wouldn't waste your energy getting mad about that particular hypothetical.

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:51 am I do believe you that if you invest time on Falcon to learn its intricacies, it is immensely rewarding with a lot of power at finger tips. Not even talking about the scripting power.
I consider myself to be deeply into sound design especially deeply powerful digital synthesis. Over the years I have used a lot frustrating UI's in both hardware and software. From the DX7 which I learned to edit like the back of my hand on the 1980s to the D50 and JV1080 which were deeply powerful but had tiny screens to all kinds of plugins with crappy design

The reality is, that it's 2024 not 1984. There is zero reason to use Falcon when you find it's interface to be crappy unless you are paid to design presets for it

I tried to become a power user for Falcon. I spent dozens of hours using it and reading about it and watching videos about it. The more I learned about it and the better I got at using it the more frustrated I become with the entire experience.

I got good enough using Falcon that I began to realize that it was the user experience itself and the workflow that the software forces you to use that was getting in the way of my creativity and not the fact that I needed to learn it better

Falcon sounds great, UVI makes great patches and expansions for it. So I use the presets or sample them and bring them into HALion7 or Omnisphere which are two other deeply powerful digital synths that I have invested enough time with to consider myself to be a power user of both. The way they are designed the workflow and experience doesn't get in the way of my creativity, it's a shame Falcon does

IvyBirds wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:07 pm
I consider myself to be deeply into sound design especially deeply powerful digital synthesis. Over the years I have used a lot frustrating UI's in both hardware and software. From the DX7 which I learned to edit like the back of my hand on the 1980s to the D50 and JV1080 which were deeply powerful but had tiny screens to all kinds of plugins with crappy design

The reality is, that it's 2024 not 1984. There is zero reason to use Falcon when you find it's interface to be crappy unless you are paid to design presets for it

I tried to become a power user for Falcon. I spent dozens of hours using it and reading about it and watching videos about it. The more I learned about it and the better I got at using it the more frustrated I become with the entire experience.

I got good enough using Falcon that I began to realize that it was the user experience itself and the workflow that the software forces you to use that was getting in the way of my creativity and not the fact that I needed to learn it better

Falcon sounds great, UVI makes great patches and expansions for it. So I use the presets or sample them and bring them into HALion7 or Omnisphere which are two other deeply powerful digital synths that I have invested enough time with to consider myself to be a power user of both. The way they are designed the workflow and experience doesn't get in the way of my creativity, it's a shame Falcon does
Well I don't disagree with you because my experience with Falcon and UVI is similar both on the positive aspects and the less positive ones. But I was answering to somebody who managed to understand, appreciate and be productive with the workflow. Who am I to say it can't exist?

Return to “Instruments”