GForce impOSCar 3 is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

2 out of 5 stars.

I just compared the naked saw on 2 vs 3, and they are quite different. 3 has a much attenuated high end. Looks like this is true for all the waveforms, including wavetables, though when I look at them in an oscilloscope, they don't look that far off, though there's some signs of aliasing on the v2 wave that's not in v3. If you travel up the keyboard the sawtooth on 3 starts looking like a triangle wave, as if there's a fixed low pass filter. This seems to be a bug, but it's really making the plugin sound very dark to me. If you want to quickly check this out, load up 01HollowBass on both versions and prepare to weep. If this is closer to the OG OSCar, I think it's worse.

Next... I miss the old additive waves. BellLike02 sounds nothing like the same waveform in v3. If I go in and edit it by hand I can get closer, but WTF? Also, v3 is all smooth, while v2 had that nice old school digital grit. Where's the grit? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING IT? Evidently, behind a low pass filter. :lol:

UI, much improved... and still crappy. I don't care how the OSCar was, please set up the controls in a way that visually makes sense.

The new reverb sounds OK. Sort of grainy, which I guess goes with the theme.

Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.

Wavetable editor is fine, but no wavetable import is a bummer. I'd rather have that than this very basic editor.

Overall a poor update. I was all excited by the hyperbole and I didn't even bother to demo it. Stupid me. I hope they fix all the issues, or I'll probably keep using v2.
Funny world,i was in same buy now boat,following the impulse of joy with the good news and good price,when decided to test them both for 5 min side by side and then share an opinion here,which i have no idea why offend feeling of some people,when it is just a different point of view...i guess it's just emotional thing,who knows,but you ,if understand it rigth with my internet english,agree with me that v2 and v3 are bit different...i just notice it,without even to dig deeper and hold my purchase,not following the impulse to buy it immediately,despite new gui is more inspirational ...anyway if wt import is added in next upgrade, could become interesting synth and will be buy now,cuz good wt and good firers always worth it.
Anyway,my logic is always check inside the mix,before buy,cause you gonna use long time if worth it and gonna hate it long time ,if don't check it:)
Enough wars and conflicts,lets be more positive and useful to us and other people...
Would be nice people who like new version more to share their opinion,feelings or usage of wt so on,its always better to be for something instead against something else.
If somebody make a really nice review,practical and useful,probably will buy it immediatelly,remember trying Sylenth1 demo for years and the demo voice 'Thank you for trying Sylenth1'or something was super annoying ,then i listened some demo of (Bluffmonkey i think:) soundset for it and was so trilled,even borrow money to buy it.
When start to deal with sound design had two things in mind:
1.Never to use pirate/cracked software and to make money from it.
2.To become good enough as designer,so to inspire people to buy my sounds.
First was easy,second not sure:)

seafire wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 amBought it without demoing it, presumably
D'OH! I get it now. That hadn't occurred to me, obviously.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.
Instead of complaining about *other* peoples' stupidity, you might find it useful to both *read* this thread, and explore the synth. This exact question was asked earlier, and I posted exactly how you can do it. It works fine.

viewtopic.php?p=8904593#p8904593

beely wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm Evidently you can't modulate the wavetable with an envelope. I don't even know where to start with that stupidity. Fail.
This exact question was asked earlier, and I posted exactly how you can do it. It works fine.

...and it was present on the original hardware..
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

just wanna say,if somebody think i talk against imposcar - I ADORE this synth,playing it now and enjoying the sound,like v3 gui more and wt support is dope ,just..hope upgrade to continue,will support it at some point with money and sounds for sure.
Probably will buy v3 after i reach the limits of v2,so definelly want to see more updates/upgrades.
People who doesn't have v2 recommend to buy new Imposcar with no hesitation,worth every cent.
To me question is more hesitation about which of two will use more,that's why didn't have new one yet,already have enough wt synths and for now adore old school vibe of v2.
v3 is technically better synth,way more diverse with wt modulations.
v2 is probably most useful when miss some analogish vibe.
Sylenth1,Imposcar and synth1 are brutal analog force when layered,if don't believe me try simple detuned saw.

I'm not hearing or seeing any significant difference between the two in terms of low pass.

I made a basic saw wave patch with no modulations on Imposcar 2 and loaded that into 3 and it sounded pretty much the same.

They don't null but that's almost certainly to do with different oscillator phase. There's no way of locking the phase that I can see.

Also on a spectrum analyser and an oscilloscope there's no significant difference between the two.

You can get really nasty with 3 if you want.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:10 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 pm So, here's my mini review of the 3 upgrade.

2 out of 5 stars…
Funny world,i was in same buy now boat,following the impulse of joy with the good news and good price,when decided to test them both for 5 min side by side and then share an opinion here,which i have no idea why offend feeling of some people,when it is just a different point of view...i guess it's just emotional thing,who knows,but you ,if understand it rigth with my internet english,agree with me that v2 and v3 are bit different...i just notice it,without even to dig deeper and hold my purchase,not following the impulse to buy it immediately,despite new gui is more inspirational…
I should make clear that I was giving the update a 2 out of 5 stars, primarily because of the high frequency issue, but I should also point out that most sounds are using the filter to the point where it’s not super noticeable, and most sounds are fine. impOSCar 3 still has the ability to sound great, and I will revisit my rating if they fix that bug. Who knows, maybe v3 is more accurate, and the filter of the OSCar didn’t open up all the way. Not sure, but if that’s so, I would expect them to make the range of the filter back to what it was in v2, and maybe put a visual indicator at the point where you are getting the “accurate” highest point of the OG hardware.

Don’t sweat the internet outrage. It’s not real. Just people acting cranky. Everyone, including me, is in love with our own opinions. If someone is snarky, it’s just their way of saying, “I’m in love with myself.” :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

kraster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:12 pm I'm not hearing or seeing any significant difference between the two in terms of low pass.

I made a basic saw wave patch with no modulations on Imposcar 2 and loaded that into 3 and it sounded pretty much the same.

They don't null but that's almost certainly to do with different oscillator phase. There's no way of locking the phase that I can see.

Also on a spectrum analyser and an oscilloscope there's no significant difference between the two.

You can get really nasty with 3 if you want.
It’s quite pronounced. Check the preset that I mentioned from the original hardware to hear it the most clearly, but I’m surprised you don’t hear it on a basic sawtooth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 am
beely wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 am
This exact question was asked earlier, and I posted exactly how you can do it. It works fine.

...and it was present on the original hardware..
I guess that’s a pretty good work-a-round, but I still think that it should work without that.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:10 pm I guess that’s a pretty good work-a-round, but I still think that it should work without that.
Its not a workaround, its the actual thing you were complaining about not having; its quite literally the way to modulate the wavetable position with the filter envelope.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:31 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:10 pm I guess that’s a pretty good work-a-round, but I still think that it should work without that.
Its not a workaround, its the actual thing you were complaining about not having; its quite literally the way to modulate the wavetable position with the filter envelope.
So you think that it shouldn’t work when you simply assign the aux mod to an envelope and PM? Weird stance, but OK.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:46 pm So you think that it shouldn’t work when you simply assign the aux mod to an envelope and PM? Weird stance, but OK.
Are the pathetic strawman and moved goalposts because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course they are.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:25 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:46 pm So you think that it shouldn’t work when you simply assign the aux mod to an envelope and PM? Weird stance, but OK.
Are the pathetic strawman and moved goalposts because you were got it wrong, and were caught bleating about it without knowing how to use the synth you were talking about?

Of course they are.
So, losing an LFO to control the wave index isn't a work-a-round to you? Weird stance, but OK.
Zerocrossing Media

In case people think I'm crazy.

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/i ... al_sharing

Mid way up, they equalize out, but they're obviously very different in the lower registers. I didn't make this patch, so you can easily try it for yourself. It's called 01HollowBass and it's part of the OSCar Original bank.
Zerocrossing Media

To confirm I did try it on my PC and indeed in the lower octaves they do sound different... with the imposcar 2 version being worse to me.. It isn't a patch that I would ever use so that didn't bother me... for the many of the patches I did favourite and like and compared they are for me identical.
Is that aliasing that is causing the difference? (though I would imagine aliasing would more affect the higher notes rather than the lower ones)
The imposcar 2 version of it really sound horrible to me in the lower octaves.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”