Fabfilter announce TIMELESS 3 !!!!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Relativity for Timeless 3 Timeless 3

bmanic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 pm
Ploki wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:50 am I miss offset buttons on delay offset like in LFOs so it would be easier to make L/R different times, but generally it’s pretty straightforward i think.
Totally agree with this. I did warn FF that a lot of people would be put off by the % nature of the offset ring. Not everybody is willing to do some basic maths in your head.

.. and having the offset dots would be such a time saver.

There are so many things with the Timeless 3 UI that could be vastly improved. I really do hope they revisit this with a proper point update.

For instance I'd also like a pre-delay for both main delay lines, so that we can create syncopated and off beat delay lines instead of having to use a 3rd party extra plugin.

And I wish there was an allpass filter for the filter section. That would be so incredibly powerful. Like all the other plugin companies, FabFilter have their own vision of what they want to create and can be a bit stubborn sometimes. I'm quite satisfied that so many people find Timeless 3 difficult to use because it gives me some "Told you so!!" ammunition. :D
Yes! T3 sounds great. But I didn't want to use it.

As a UX professional, I've definitely had to tell different developers at different companies over the years that it doesn't matter how amazing something they code is if people don't want to use it. The UX matters just as much.

damn, great suggestions :)

I've been bugging them for Twin3 analog drift toggle. It's great an all, but layering anything low-endish becomes impossible because the damn thing just drifts.

bmanic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 pm Totally agree with this. I did warn FF that a lot of people would be put off by the % nature of the offset ring. Not everybody is willing to do some basic maths in your head.
Yeah doing the math is one thing, but I don't even know the formula. I tried to google it but pretty much no one in the world seems to use percentages for delay times. So I don't even know where to start for something like 1/2d left, 1/16t right. That's probably why any other delay I know (that has sync) just lets you insert values in the 'normal' format. The manual also doesn't explain why they adopted this approach and which benefits it may bring to the table.

There are so many things with the Timeless 3 UI that could be vastly improved. I really do hope they revisit this with a proper point update.

For instance I'd also like a pre-delay for both main delay lines, so that we can create syncopated and off beat delay lines instead of having to use a 3rd party extra plugin.

And I wish there was an allpass filter for the filter section. That would be so incredibly powerful. Like all the other plugin companies, FabFilter have their own vision of what they want to create and can be a bit stubborn sometimes. I'm quite satisfied that so many people find Timeless 3 difficult to use because it gives me some "Told you so!!" ammunition. :D
Keep up the good fight! :tu: These sound like useful features. Maybe we should make another thread over at the fabfilter forums... Not sure if they're actively reading threads here on kvr.

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:15 pm
bmanic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 pm Totally agree with this. I did warn FF that a lot of people would be put off by the % nature of the offset ring. Not everybody is willing to do some basic maths in your head.
Yeah doing the math is one thing, but I don't even know the formula. I tried to google it but pretty much no one in the world seems to use percentages for delay times. So I don't even know where to start for something like 1/2d left, 1/16t right. That's probably why any other delay I know (that has sync) just lets you insert values in the 'normal' format. The manual also doesn't explain why they adopted this approach and which benefits it may bring to the table.

Keep up the good fight! :tu: These sound like useful features. Maybe we should make another thread over at the fabfilter forums... Not sure if they're actively reading threads here on kvr.
Well for the math I may miss something but you will want to play with 25%, 50%, 75%, 150% most of the time except if you are in triplets (33%, 66%, 133%, ...).
I don't find % inconvenient at all....

For the rest, I do agree with you.

Absolutely. 150% is dotted 133% is triplet.

200% will make 1/8 into a 1/4.
50% into a 1/16

Ok yeah if I want something like 1/4 L, 1/4t R it's not so bad I guess but to stay with that example, how would I set 1/2d L, 1/16t R? It may be an extreme example but on any other delay it wouldn't be an issue.
Last edited by Dr.Gunjah on Fri May 17, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a FabFilter Total bundle customer.

Not gonna lie, Timeless 2 is the only depreciated FF plugin I still keep in my favourites list and continue to use regularly. Even though I upgraded and also own Timeless 3.

Primarily down to the UI ease of use and quick functionality of the former, which I prefer.
Timeless 3 feels a bit too convoluted and finicky compared to v2.

I usually go with either Timeless 2 or ValhallaDelay instead.

Do y’all constantly do split delays?

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:48 pm Ok yeah if I want something like 1/4 L, 1/4t R it's not so bad I guess but to stay with that example, how would I set 1/2d L, 1/16t R? It may be an extreme example but on any other delay it wouldn't be an issue.
Hm considering that presets are backward compatible, i’ll need to try

Ok let me know. And yeah, I do split delay more often than not because it usually sounds wider. I've used Timeless3 a bit more often lately but then some day this week I've tried to set a certain L/R combo and gave up again after 10 minutes or so. Each time I think I've finally understood it, the percent bullshit will teach me better. As soon as both knobs start moving simultaneously I'm out :shrug:

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:34 pm Ok let me know. And yeah, I do split delay more often than not because it usually sounds wider. I've used Timeless3 a bit more often lately but then some day this week I've tried to set a certain L/R combo and gave up again after 10 minutes or so. Each time I think I've finally understood it, the percent bullshit will teach me better. As soon as both knobs start moving simultaneously I'm out :shrug:
so... 133% and 533% at 1/16 - and i just discovered it apparently tells you if its triplet or dotted in the popup thingie :dog:
and the grid in the tap display also displays note values :dog:

Ok thanks for checking this out. It's still weird to set. You can't just enter the numbers in the two boxes because the knobs reset. Instead you have to first increase delay pan to max, then rotate delay offset until you get the correct numbers. Imo it would even be better if the outer knob wouldn't exist and we could just set the factor for L and R directly with the boxes. That would still be weird in the delay world but more straightforward to what we have now. Or make the boxes go beyond 200% so I can just use the boxes and ignore the knobs

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:22 pm Ok thanks for checking this out. It's still weird to set. You can't just enter the numbers in the two boxes because the knobs reset. Instead you have to first increase delay pan to max, then rotate delay offset until you get the correct numbers.
how unconfortable if not what a PITA imho....

It looks like a bug or at least an oversight. If you can make certain numbers appear in the boxes by turning the knobs you should be able to enter them directly into the boxes too. Maybe I'll make a thread about it on their forum

muki wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:09 pm how unconfortable if not what a PITA imho....
...and, actually, as for fabfilter, who prides themself of easy handling
and useful and logical aka "smart" number entering, why isn't it possible
(considering the 1/2 - 1/16 t example) to enter "1/2" at the left and "1/16 t" at the right ?
shouldn't be that much of a magic trick...

Return to “Effects”