VSTi closest to MOOG ONE 16 voice

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can always tweak the sounds of most synths to mimic other synths by using other plugins. For example using Kilohearts MultiPass, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD, Devicemeister Stepic to name a few that can be useful to add features a synth doesn't have (even having all of them in the chain--then what parameters to use would make the difference as well as the order in the chain. Adding an additional compressor of choice to the chain as needed might help too even though some compressors are included in plugins like the first two) It would not be exactly like having the synth with those features natively but by tweaking parameters properly it would be able to mimic them.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:28 pm
Gam456 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:35 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:20 pm
martiu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:11 pm the best moog emulator is the Softube one, Synapse Legend second place
Agreed, the most authentic sounding is the Softube, but The Legend still sounds awesome and adds so much.
UAD MiniMoog and Moog MiniMoog vsti are way more closer
But UAD native still doesn't support midi learn, Moog is only available on Mac
Which version of the Model D do you have that you compared it to?
I have no idea, it wasn't mine, I do not own a Moog

Gam456 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm
martiu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:11 pm the best moog emulator is the Softube one, Synapse Legend second place
Agreed, the most authentic sounding is the Softube, but The Legend still sounds awesome and adds so much.
OIC, your opinion is based on not owning a Moog Model D.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 pm
Gam456 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm
OIC, your opinion is based on not owning a Moog Model D.
Like I said the Moog wasn't mine. :wink:

Combine the Minimonsta 2 with the Softube Model 72 and you're close enough for government work. Minimonsta 2 has a ton of features. Its a marvel of programming.

You only have ten sausages on your hands anyhow.

Another vote for Synth1 BTW. If Synth1 is not the right answer t's the question that's wrong.

gearwatcher wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm You only have ten sausages on your hands anyhow.

Another vote for Synth1 BTW. If Synth1 is not the right answer t's the question that's wrong.
The amount of fingers one has isn’t relevant. Voices can get used up fairly quickly if you are only using 1 of them, but you have a longer release time. That’s not even getting into using unison.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I owned the Moog One 16-voice for about 18 months.
If you're thinking about it as a polyphonic Mini Moog with 16 voices, it's not that.
The oscillators are more thin sounding. The Sawtooth waveforms are also a bit dark.

The Moog One UI is absolutely the best.

The Included onboard effects were not particularly good.
-Chorus was awful (Modulation in general was bad)
-Reverb was OK
-Delay was pretty decent

For me, what really killed the Moog One was the intonation issues.
My original Moog One had a problem with the fans... so Sweetwater swapped it out.
Both had intonation issues.
As a last-ditch effort, I contacted Moog (demonstrated the intonation problems I was experiencing)... and they replaced all the voice-cards.
Got the Moog One back... and it had the same intonation issues.

When a company feels compelled to add an "Auto Tune" like function (to rein-in intonation), that's not a good sign.
The issue with that Auto Tune algorithm; it slides the notes into pitch. You can hear it working.
It doesn't sound normal/natural... when some notes are sliding into pitch.

In theory, Moog One was going to be my one-and-done be-all analog synth.
For me, the reality was $8000 worth of frustration.
I've been thru a lot of analog synths the past several years. NONE have exhibited that type of intonation issue.
Note that I'm not talking about normal analog-drift.
I'm talking super sour out of tune notes that are occasionally spit out.
ie: I recorded the staccato Verse part for Aldo Nova's "Fantasy"... so Moog could hear the problem.
Most of the chords sounded fine... but then the One would spit out a total clunker (way out of tune).
Absolutely killed the joy of having/using it.
Note that the intonation issue couldn't be pinned-down to a single voice/card (it was random/unpredictable).

The Legend HZ is the closest you'll currently get to the Moog One... but it's really not the same.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:43 pm I owned the Moog One 16-voice for about 18 months.
If you're thinking about it as a polyphonic Mini Moog with 16 voices, it's not that.
The oscillators are more thin sounding. The Sawtooth waveforms are also a bit dark.

The Moog One UI is absolutely the best.

The Included onboard effects were not particularly good.
-Chorus was awful (Modulation in general was bad)
-Reverb was OK
-Delay was pretty decent

For me, what really killed the Moog One was the intonation issues.
My original Moog One had a problem with the fans... so Sweetwater swapped it out.
Both had intonation issues.
As a last-ditch effort, I contacted Moog (demonstrated the intonation problems I was experiencing)... and they replaced all the voice-cards.
Got the Moog One back... and it had the same intonation issues.

When a company feels compelled to add an "Auto Tune" like function (to rein-in intonation), that's not a good sign.
The issue with that Auto Tune algorithm; it slides the notes into pitch. You can hear it working.
It doesn't sound normal/natural... when some notes are sliding into pitch.

In theory, Moog One was going to be my one-and-done be-all analog synth.
For me, the reality was $8000 worth of frustration.
I've been thru a lot of analog synths the past several years. NONE have exhibited that type of intonation issue.
Note that I'm not talking about normal analog-drift.
I'm talking super sour out of tune notes that are occasionally spit out.
ie: I recorded the staccato Verse part for Aldo Nova's "Fantasy"... so Moog could hear the problem.
Most of the chords sounded fine... but then the One would spit out a total clunker (way out of tune).
Absolutely killed the joy of having/using it.
Note that the intonation issue couldn't be pinned-down to a single voice/card (it was random/unpredictable).

The Legend HZ is the closest you'll currently get to the Moog One... but it's really not the same.
A few years back, I had the money to buy a Moog One, but reports like this and the fact that they promised polyphonic aftertouch and never delivered it put me off. I ended up buying a Nina and a 3rd Wave instead, but not all at once.

I did hear a lot of great sounding demos, but there’s tons of great sounding analogue synths out there now. Not sure how they screwed up so bad, but they probably bit off more than they could chew. Maybe for your first attempt at a polyphonic synthesizer in decades, you start off with something simple.
Zerocrossing Media

I returned my Moog One before the return guarantee ran out (30 days). The fan noise drove me nuts... and the sound just didn't really do it for me.

I would say if you want to emulate the Moog One, Zebra 2 is a good choice.

Moog One fan noise bothered me as well.
Upon start-up, it sounds like a Hoover Vacuum.
I agree with Zerocrossing... that Moog should have started with something a bit more simple.

Though it's a radically different design, the 3rd Wave has taken Moog One's spot in my studio.
Completely reliable... and Grove Synthesis is very responsive with update/features.
ie: They're adding the ability to play load/play samples in the next firmware.
Watched a demo video last night.
Limited to a total of 30 seconds sample time... but still pretty cool.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Return to “Instruments”