How to stop clips being recorded into arrangement when recording a track?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be pretty simple to implement this as an option in the preferences.
„Record clips to arranger when recording“ with a check box. Default checked…
Maybe send this proposal to Bitwig…

Concerning this whole topic, there's something to add from a live performance perspective:
There's a big flaw in Bitwig for live performers who want to record their performance... live.

A true live starting-with-empty-project performance usually consists of recording clips into the Launcher.
To simultaneously record such live performance one would activate the big record button, to also record into the arranger, so the whole performance will at the end be available as a long Track.

However, Clip-Recordings of the Launcher do not land in the Arranger/Timeline, despite "record to arranger" being active. Clip-Recordings into the Launcher, Midi and Audio alike, get swallowed by the Cliplauncher, and won't be recorded in the Arranger. This is completely contra-intuitive and makes no sense at all. Furthermore, in Ableton, this works properly as expected since 20 years.

So, there's also a "Please make clips being recorded into arrangement" issue to ask Bitwig for. Just to make you aware of it :hihi:
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:29 am
However, Clip-Recordings of the Launcher do not land in the Arranger/Timeline, despite "record to arranger" being active. Clip-Recordings into the Launcher, Midi and Audio alike, get swallowed by the Cliplauncher, and won't be recorded in the Arranger. This is completely contra-intuitive and makes no sense at all. Furthermore, in Ableton, this works properly as expected since 20 years.
Do you mean you want something to be recorded in the Launcher and Arrange at the same time?

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:43 pm
nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:29 am
Do you mean you want something to be recorded in the Launcher and Arrange at the same time?
I read that,and tried it, and you can record a clip and record in the arranger at the same time,so I doubt he means that. Could a macro be made to make that task easier if someone needed that facility?

Yes, what pdxindy said. Recording into the Launcher and Arranger at the same time can be translated as "Recording your live performance into the arranger(timeline)". It works fine in Ableton since 20 years.

@dellboy: yes you can record in clips and arranger at the same time, but only in the sense that you can press record for both of them, but ACTUALLY the notes/audio of the clip recording will not land in the arranger.

What i mean is demonstrated in this video, from minute 5.23 to 5.44 (These 20 seconds will show you exactly what i mean)
https://youtu.be/-z5ywDo2bU0?si=cFZtp0UR5bqyzv2x&t=323

nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:17 pm
@dellboy: yes you can record in clips and arranger at the same time, but only in the sense that you can press record for both of them, but ACTUALLY the notes/audio of the clip recording will not land in the arranger.
I just tried and recording into the Clip Launcher and Arrange at the same time works. A clip in both is recorded simultaneously.

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:33 pm
nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:17 pm
I just tried and recording into the Clip Launcher and Arrange at the same time works. A clip in both is recorded simultaneously.
try again, but this time you record a second clip after the first one ;) won't work.

I guess what you did is start from scratch, and pressed record on a clip, and then record on arranger. (Doesn't matter which starts first, rec in arranger or rec in clipslot) Then you saw 'oh it records in arranger' and stopped the test.
But the "bug/unexpected behavior" would have started when you keep everything running and after the first clip is successfully recorded into the cliplauncher and running, you click in the clipslot next to it, in the same track, to record in that free, next slot. Then you will see that the arranger does not record that. This behavior will persist for all subsequent cliplauncher recordings (after the first one). So yes, the very first cliplauncher recording at the beginning of an empty project might rec in arranger. But ALL following recordings won't. As can be seen in the video.

here's another way to encounter the unwanted behavior:
1. Open new project
2. Double click in the first launcher clip of the instrument track, to create a clip there.
3. Launch that newly created clip.
4. Start Record-in-Arranger (Timeline).
5. Start (=record) the empty ClipSlot next to the first one.
-> Voila, the Arranger-Recording will suddenly be discontinued, because the currently recording clipslot swallows the recording. ;)

Tested with 5.1.9

nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 pm
try again, but this time you record a second clip after the first one ;) won't work.
I just recorded 3 clips in the Launcher, one after the other and recording was not interrupted in Arrange.

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:16 am
nowiamone wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 pm
I just recorded 3 clips in the Launcher, one after the other and recording was not interrupted in Arrange.
EDIT:
thanks for testing, i tested it myself now: Very very interesting! It seems, consecutive recordings DO land in the arranger. It's only when stopping in between, and "just" letting the recorded clip in the launcher run/playback, and THEN recording the next Launcher-clip, that the bug occurs. (Calling it a bug, because to me that's a bug/malfunction).
Side note: When live performing, this (above described) way of recording is my default one. I (and most live-performers) almost never do consecutive recordings, because when live-jamming, it's normal to let the current scene run through a few times, until recording the next clip. That's why i haven't noticed that there are also ways in which Cliprecordings actually land in the arranger. So to me, concerning my live-jamming workflow, it is NOT working - despite the fact that it's working for the very first cliprecording of a session-and consecutive recordings without interruption, because these cases in which it works are completely irrelevant to me.
However, it will be an interesting fact to share with Bitwigs support , so thanks for the testing!

nowiamone wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:44 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:16 am I just recorded 3 clips in the Launcher, one after the other and recording was not interrupted in Arrange.
EDIT:
thanks for testing, i tested it myself now: Very very interesting! It seems, consecutive recordings DO land in the arranger. It's only when stopping in between, and "just" letting the recorded clip in the launcher run/playback, and THEN recording the next Launcher-clip, that the bug occurs. (Calling it a bug, because to me that's a bug/malfunction).
Okay... with further testing, if enable Record in Arrange and play a Launcher clip, it starts recording into Arrange, then I click the record button on the next slot in the Launcher and start recording a new clip, it does stop recording into Arrange even though the record button stays active in Arrange.

So because the playhead is moving and Arrange record button is still active and yet it is not recording, I would also say that is a bug.

Return to “Bitwig”