Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those that used Reason as a plugin and a DAW, is there any major difference in terms of modulation capabilities, or features missing from the rack in its VST version compared to using it within Reason?

Opaque wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 am For those that used Reason as a plugin and a DAW, is there any major difference in terms of modulation capabilities, or features missing from the rack in its VST version compared to using it within Reason?
IMHO no. Not at all. I am using the RRP inside Bitwig since 2.5 years, coming from Reason DAW and the modulation options are obviously light-years ahead. What you do is you lose the "skeuomorphic" approach of reason.
So before, if you wanted to add an LFO, you would have added a "pulsar" or a "synchronous". Now I add it from Bitwig, it is faster, quicker, better, but not "skeuomorphic".
You still can access the CVs, chain the way you want, RRP support also side chaining from outside.

You can still use the players, control reason instruments from external arpegiators and control external instruments from reason players.

Combinator 2 can still be saved, included as external presets in your new DAW...

So yep... For the hardcore lovers, you lose the "vibe" but from a very practical point, in my experience, you lose nothing in terms of features.

And in terms of vibe, what I love, is I can enjoy the vibe of Bitwig AND the vibe of Reason when I want it (and I continue to use the RRP very often, because Reason instruments are just great).

Opaque wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 am For those that used Reason as a plugin and a DAW, is there any major difference in terms of modulation capabilities, or features missing from the rack in its VST version compared to using it within Reason?
Biggest problem with the rack plugin to me is there’s no midi routing. In the DAW you can do some interesting sequencing and modulation with CV that doesn’t work in the plugin because every synth is triggered by incoming midi.

^^^ Looking at the combinator, you can kill the CC signals using the performance controllers dropdown, from there EPX1 routes it to where you're not ashamed.

EXP1 Expression Processor MIDI to CV Converter:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... processor/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Dalle wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:07 am
Biggest problem with the rack plugin to me is there’s no midi routing. In the DAW you can do some interesting sequencing and modulation with CV that doesn’t work in the plugin because every synth is triggered by incoming midi.
Yes, just as Xbitz said, Combinator 2 let you do anything you want... You choose the instrument answering the midi inputs, and the one controlled by your utilities or players...

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:55 pm
Yes, just as Xbitz said, Combinator 2 let you do anything you want... You choose the instrument answering the midi inputs, and the one controlled by your utilities or players...
There are some workarounds, but you can’t just send different midi to different instruments/fx in the rack like you could with ReWire for example.

liquidsound wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 am He’s not so happy…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6hIaTW ... Vhc29uIDEz
Well. He has no idea what he's talking about in most of that video.
He even uses 25 seconds to just find where the Reason icon is on his computer.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:21 pm
Yeah and I'm not sure what the point of that post was anyway. This random dude doesn't like the update so.... what?? The rest of us shouldn't be excited about it? I'm confused
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Dalle wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:32 pm
There are some workarounds, but you can’t just send different midi to different instruments/fx in the rack like you could with ReWire for example.
Well you can use different RRP hehe. And you can still reroute then to another RRP for the FX. While also routing all the modulations you want (except that you can use the super power of Bitwig for that instead).

But anyway I think the person who asked the question got more answers he/she needed. I am not trying to convince you, if you are happy with Reason DAW, good for you, it is a great DAW.

Sometime I can’t locate my laptop for longer than that! :hihi:
MuLab of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 pm
To be honest, I don't know where my Bitwig and Reason icons are in my computer neither because .... I never swith them off hehe

As per the video, after 7 seconds of looking at the ultra low quality of production and the way the guy was talking, I immediately decided to better use my time than continue watching.

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:13 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 pm
To be honest, I don't know where my Bitwig and Reason icons are in my computer neither because .... I never swith them off hehe

As per the video, after 7 seconds of looking at the ultra low quality of production and the way the guy was talking, I immediately decided to better use my time than continue watching.
7 seconds... You definitely know how to waste precious time!
MuLab of course :D

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:51 pm Well you can use different RRP hehe. And you can still reroute then to another RRP for the FX. While also routing all the modulations you want (except that you can use the super power of Bitwig for that instead).

But anyway I think the person who asked the question got more answers he/she needed. I am not trying to convince you, if you are happy with Reason DAW, good for you, it is a great DAW.
I do have a soft spot for Reason, but rarely open the DAW anymore since the plugin version, even if I lose some modularity. If I want super flexible modulation I use Drambo in Ableton instead :tu:

Dalle wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:32 pm
This why I preferred rewire ( I must be in the minority)because I hated reason’s sequencer ( and piano rolls in general )
Loading up renoise , and sequence all of reason’s instrument’s over rewire in renoise ,including automation .
Route each instrument into the hw device and mix it in renoise mixer , it was great and so much more flexible compared to reason vst.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

https://youtu.be/x2vVAV5bgZ8?si=gW5l7eZUz-7dCLOC

If this video has not been shared yet... Awesome thoughts and ideas from Beyun here and the use of Reason as a companion for ... an external hardware sequencer.

Brillant example of somebody who isn't whining at the product limitations all day and get the things done.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”