Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Resonant- Serpent wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:21 pm I find my best work is done in S1, and that's what seals it for me.
Sounds like the best argument.

One month ago...
jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:09 pm I think ultimately they are going to have to. Perhaps there will be some period, say 6 months, where Lead Architect and the like is exclusive to Studio One+, but eventually I think it will be available for purchase.

Lead Architect is now available to purchase separately ($100), no Studio One+ subscription required:
A brand new virtual instrument has arrived for Studio One users! Lead Architect combines post-processed synthesis and sampling, integrated audio and effects, and an intuitive new user interface to generate powerful leads and sizzling solo sounds for hybrid melodic sequencing.

Lead Architect Key Features:
• Modular synth sampled from classic hardware synthesizers and post-processed with pitch-shifters, granular synthesis, and stomp boxes.
• Sculpt up to three layers of sound, which can be mixed and combined with built-in audio effects and Note FX.

Available now for purchase through select online retail.

Are you a Studio One+ member? Lead Architect is included in your subscription at no extra cost!

Source: See the description for this video from May 3rd:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

It looks like one of those new fangled music making thingies that I never install when they appear in My NI Komplete account. $100? hmmm

The thing is,my recent money has gone on Bitwig and Waveform 13, so unless something extraordinary comes along in Studio One to tempt me I doubt I will ever upgrade again. Studio One 6.6 has everything I will ever likely need. The same goes for Cubase,I have stuck with version 12 and will not be upgrading again.

dellboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:43 am It looks like one of those new fangled music making thingies that I never install when they appear in My NI Komplete account. $100? hmmm

The thing is,my recent money has gone on Bitwig and Waveform 13, so unless something extraordinary comes along in Studio One to tempt me I doubt I will ever upgrade again. Studio One 6.6 has everything I will ever likely need. The same goes for Cubase,I have stuck with version 12 and will not be upgrading again.
Yes, it is basically an instrument like NI's Play series. Not worth $100 at all.

I've been listening to Lead Architect. It definitely has a certain quality that allows it to cut right through mixes without any strident overtones. It sounds good, but not $100 good. It's one of those plugins I'd have to demo to hear all the pads and similar that they don't play in the demos to get a good read on its true character to fully decide. An additional thought is the GUI may be worth it though. It doesn't look half bad on first blush.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Imagine having the nerve to ask perpetual customers to pay for the loss of development time on Studio One, while trying to entice you to subscribe to what should already be included.

I’m totally fine with Lead Architect being a separate purchase. It is an add-on, just like the Channel Strip Collection, or Retro Mix Legends (which I purchased.)

It comes in Studio One+ because that’s what Studio One+ is: all PreSonus software in a subscription plan.

Personally, I have no interest in Lead Architect. I wouldn’t buy it, and I wouldn’t use it if I got it free.

But I am still relieved that PreSonus made it available to buy if I did want it.
Last edited by jamcat on Mon May 06, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:59 pm Personally, I have no interest in Lead Architect.
Me neither. Frankly, that applies to most if not all DAW addons though.

I'm only interested in synths and modulation or time based fx anyway. :D And, even with those, I'm completely fed now as well. Can't see me buying much over the next years. But, I say that every year, and then it's 800 to 1.000 € spend again each year anyway...

I remember back in the day when Propellerhead Reason had the same attitude and vision. They started excluding the new synths from the upgrades and selling them as "add-ons". They still haven't recovered since making that move. They were on top of the DAW world back then, even released their own audio interface, etc. It's been downhill ever since.

Propellerheads were never on top of the DAW world. They blew it from the very start by creating a walled city instead of being part of the civilized (VST) world. Reason was just a bigger ReBirth.

Studio One, on the other hand is an actual DAW. It’s not a glorified synth station. So the comparison just doesn’t apply.

jamcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:57 am Propellerheads were never on top of the DAW world. They blew it from the very start by creating a walled city instead of being part of the civilized (VST) world. Reason was just a bigger ReBirth.

Studio One, on the other hand is an actual DAW. It’s not a glorified synth station. So the comparison just doesn’t apply.
You're wrong, and don't know the real history. They had top market share for a while, before they made bad decision after bad decision leading to them selling off to investors.

Top market share of what?
Bedroom ravers? :lol:
Not the audio engineering industry.

jamcat wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 am Top market share of what?
Who the f**k caters to the audio engineering industry? Avid, Steinberg with Nuendo, Magix with Sequoia and maybe throw Digital Performer in there. Other than that, the big market is bedroom producers.
It's VST development that catered to the audio engineering industry mainly in the mixing and mastering field.
The props were in a league of their own being closed circuit and it worked. They had a grip on the bedroom producer market until Record was released. That f**ked everything up. They had a modular rack concept that had a charm to it and Record was a slap in the face of that concept. Sure many wanted vst support but regardless Reason had its big legion of supporters even with it's thin sounding synths.

I like how you moved the goal posts just to make a different point about my initial point. They were one of the top DAWs at the time for a year or two. This is before Presonus Studio One took off and took their positioning in the audio industry market. These are companies and corporations that survive or die on profits, and after several bad financial decisions they eventually had to sell off to investors. This is the same path that Presonus seems to be following, just ask Fender.

VOODOO U wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:19 am
Who the f**k caters to the audio engineering industry? Avid, Steinberg with Nuendo, Magix with Sequoia and maybe throw Digital Performer in there. Other than that, the big market is bedroom producers.
It's VST development that catered to the audio engineering industry mainly in the mixing and mastering field.
The props were in a league of their own being closed circuit and it worked. They had a grip on the bedroom producer market until Record was released. That f**ked everything up. They had a modular rack concept that had a charm to it and Record was a slap in the face of that concept. Sure many wanted vst support but regardless Reason had its big legion of supporters even with it's thin sounding synths.
I would disagree on the Record ruining Reason. This actually opened the door for them integrating audio recording into Reason without the separate program. And this helped them access a larger user base afterwards. What was their downfall were things like removing flagship synths from their upgrades and selling them as add-ons. And making Rack Extensions, but charging the developers 30% of the profits, as if they were Apple. And focusing a lot of their development time on releasing iOS apps for iPads. While trying to release a very expensive audio interface that costs tons for development and distribution that ended up being a dud. They also tried to release a full upgrade as pay what you think it's worth, which ended up being abused as people paid $0.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”