Tyrell X-Mod - is it audio rate?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I tried to create the delay-lama talking-sound with TN6, but failed.

So I assume the X-modulation (OSC1 to FilterFM) is not running at audio rate?

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMywGcOub7E

it's audio rate... don't forget that Youtube presentations of vintage gear are always drenched in effects.

(Tyrell has pre-ZDF filters though...)

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware that non-ZDF filters are so bad at audio rate modulation.

Chris-S wrote: ↑Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:12 pm Hi,
I tried to create the delay-lama talking-sound with TN6, but failed.

So I assume the X-modulation (OSC1 to FilterFM) is not running at audio rate?

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMywGcOub7E
Can you turn off keyboard tracking on osc1?
It is important to have keyboard tracking off to get these types of sounds and that the Oscillator pitch goes high enough to give you that sound.

Chris-S wrote: ↑Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:57 pm Thanks for the info I wasn't aware that non-ZDF filters are so bad at audio rate modulation.
Not at all, that patch from that video is pretty much possible in Tyrell, you're probably overlooking some aspect. The most important part is, on the Minimoog, Osc3 is tuned ridiculously high while the audible oscillator plays very low.
In Tyrell, Osc1 (set to triangle) is in charge of FilterFM, so modulate it up with StackVoice (acts as a 'constant' offset with Voices set to 1), but keep it silent in the mixer. Now modulate Osc2 down with StackVoice. Turn up X-Mod to FilterFM and you're there.
Tyrell Vocals via FilterFM.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks, in the meantime I found the same (The Moog patch is using a 3.5 - 4 kHz modulator).

So, with this high rate the waveform resembles a bit-rate-reduced waveform and is leading to the vocal effect.

Return to β€œu-he”